Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone DIY reupholstered a saddle?
  • BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

My Fizik saddle has worn away at the nose. All along the edges where the leather folds under is not far behind either. Very good condition otherwise.

So I'm thinking of getting some nice soft leather from somewhere and having a bash at re-covering it myself.

I found this on the net which looks quite easy but has anyone else on here successfully done a good job of reupholstering a saddle?

Any advice, tips or tricks you can give me?

ajantom

There are a couple of threads over on retrobike.co.uk about this. Some quite successful attempts have been done.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I did the original Specialized saddle that came on my Enduro. Easy as like many saddles it has plastic bits screwed on at the front and rear which help you tension the leather. Getting zero folds at the back was fiddly but doubt it took half an hour. I used no glue, just the screwed bits of plastic and some very short selftappers.
    Try charity shops for leather jackets. You'll do 2 or 3 out of 1 sleeve. Mine was a nice tan pig skin which is great on a road bike but stains a bit in the mud. Usually wears clean ok.
    +1 for the retrobike link.

project
    Free Member

I used to get a piece of leather or old vinyl from the back of old car seats at the scrap yard or, just dumped cars.

Strip all the old covering off, and apply a coat of Evostick contact adhesive, also cover seat with evo stick,place leather on seat, and try and only allow a small part to touch each other as it sticks instantly,then just smooth over the seat shell.tuck up any waste under seat and stick with some silicone.

I used vinyl, leather,denim from old jeans,floral print etc,and sold a few, look really good as well.

glenh
    Free Member

scaredypants

sfb had a lovely example – think he may have replaced it now

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Gaffer tape.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

anyone got any before & after pics? quite fancy having a pop at this….

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

i've never done it myself but yonks ago i had an expensive bontrager saddle and the leather came adrift ,all bike shops said they'd charge the price of a new saddle to sort it. i went to a local horsey saddle shop. they recovered it for a fiver and apologised for the high price !!!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

hmmm, I've got a hideous jacket and a load of old saddles……………..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone DIY reupholstered a saddle?’ is closed to new replies.