Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Anyone destroyed a DT Swiss BR710 rim?
  • guitarhero
    Free Member

Got what I thought was a puncture yesterday landing a very small drop and was shocked to see my BR710 rim had mashed. Have had much worse hits that have dinged other rims, but it seemed like with the cutouts, the rim has just buckled way too easily.

I have ordered another and will rebuild and give them another go but worried that the extensive cut outs have not left enough material to resist hits to the rim in the event of a puncture.

Interested in others exeriences

austy
    Free Member

Pretty sure the rim is a single wall construction like most fat bike rims, and unlike most modern bike rims having some forms form of cavity to give it strength. This would most likely be thinking of reason of failure.

But I’ll sit back smug with my carbon twin wall, carbon, easy to set up tubeless light bicycle carbon rims.

Northwind

I haven’t killed mine but I’ve beaten them reasonably hard- tweed valley #enduro, innerleithen dh and the like, kind of not fatbike territory, never had a problem. Built the wheels myself using spindly sapim lasers so the whole deal is pretty unstrong. I figure outright rim strength is probably less important when you’ve got a 5 inch airbag protecting it

guitarhero
    Free Member

Guess was just unlucky. On inspection there was a cut in the tyre which had maybe happened before I landed the drop and I’d already lost a bit of air.

Had considered going carbon for my fatbike austy, but I’ve destroyed way more carbon rims than alloy, so I’ll stick to the slightly more pallatable replacement costs of alloy.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Anyone destroyed a DT Swiss BR710 rim?’ is closed to new replies.