Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Anyone cycled from Esbjerg (Denmark) to Malmo (Sweden)?
  • GDRS

Mrs GDRS has begun to think this is a good idea for a holiday – so we can hook up with some Friends in Sweden.

Looking at it on map it seems quite straight forward – which is always the kiss of death with these things.

Ferry to Esbjerg – then anyone got any route suggestions or must see places to stop at en route.

Cheers.

G

ebygomm
    Free Member

Is it specifically Malmo you want to get to in Sweden?

I'm not sure the ride straight from Denmark would be particularly interesting, would require a train journey as well as you can't ride across the bridge to Zealand. I think there is a national long distance route that goes across a bit further south which might be a better bet.

We rode Esbjerg to Skagen along the North Sea Cycle Route last year. You can continue that to Frederikshavn and get a ferry to Sweden from there.

ebygomm
    Free Member

National Cycle Route 6 to ride Esbjerg to Copenhagen

It was the South Sea Route I was thinking might be a bit more interesting, I've seen (on here I think) pics from this trip.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GDRS

That's great.

Malmo is not the end destination – it's just our friends that live in Stockholm visit thier folks who live down that way. So a hook up was on the cards. But a train is not out of the question to cover distance.

How long did it take you to ride to skagen? pootle or pace?

Cheers for the route link as well.

G

ebygomm
    Free Member

We started a little North of Esbjerg and took 4 and a half days to cover around 420km

Trip Report

GDRS

Thanks for the link to your blog – looks like I think we imagined it might.

One more question if that's okay – did you ride mostly on the road – or were there 'by way' options and were all the back roads tarmac.

Cheers.

G

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

*Waves*

I have done some of this route too. It's ace 🙂

I have some super maps (the superb "offical" Danish cycling ones) that I suspect I won't use again. Drop me a mail (addy in profile) if interested.

TM

GDRS

TM

Great – I need to speak with the S/O tonight to make sure she is still up for it and it wasn't the long weekend talking!!

Drop you a line when I have checked with the boss.

Cheers

G

Mikkel
    Free Member

I did it with ebygomm, and am from the west coast of Denmark aswell. the route is mostly on cycle paths, which varies from tarmac to hardpack surface and in the forests gravel road.
    its all very well surfaced and can be done on any bike maybe with the exeption of a super light weight road bike.

Terry
    Free Member

I live in Denmark, and the route you a describing is pretty boring, not much to see. I would bike some of the way and take the train over the bridges. The southern part of Fyn is nice, but bit of a detour. The distances over here is nothing compared to UK. I did a bicyclerace from Århus-CPH 355 km in 12 hours. So if you go fast, you can see the entire country 😀

Bikewise/MTB Sweden is the total opposite of DK, go north and enjoy.

duir
    Free Member

I fly a lot to Esbjerg but have never cycled there. It looks exceedingly flat from the air. On the plus side it is a very quiet airfield with a nice long runway.

GDRS

Thanks Guys.

All food for thought…….Mrs went into a kit panic last night – and started to worry about the weight of things – so she must be serious.

Think we are going to do it.

G

ebygomm
    Free Member

If you're going to do the North Sea Coast Route. This book is pretty good. We found it fairly well signposted so the maps in it weren't used much for navigation, but it was great for working out where to stop, overnight etc.

GDRS

Again thanks for the steer – will look that book up.

Mrs GDRS has a cold – so not much discussion on the matter last night – other than for her to confirm that 'we are doing it' and ' book the time off work'.

This is pay back for the last two trips to Italy and France dropping off things……

One more question for the massive – safe parking in Harwich?

Suspect we will drive the kit up to the ferry and then get cycling from the port.

G

ebygomm
    Free Member

There is parking in Harwich, but it's quite expensive, or at least the proper ferry port parking is . It was going to be cheaper for us to take the car on the ferry than paying for parking. In the end it was definitely cheaper as we got a car goes free offer, but we had a place to leave it in Denmark.

GDRS

Car goes for free offer – nice. Might get onto the ferry booking later to see if there are any offers a about. Might have an influnce on dates if there are offers…..

Did you have parking arranged in Denmark with friends etc or did you chance your arm?

Sorry for all of the questions – but I am just trying to get the gist of what we wnat to do together – before anymore sense of a plan is developed.

TM – if you are still following the thread – I am interested in the maps…..

Cheers

G

ebygomm
    Free Member

My boyfriend's parents live just outside Esbjerg so we just left the car there 🙂

DFDS are a bit sneaky with their booking system, if you just go to book you don't see any offers, just standard prices. You have to click through from links on their offers page to get those. I was just about to book full price, and it was only when I went back to the front page to try and find some info about the extortionate booking fee they were trying to charge that I noticed the car goes free offer.

numplumz
    Free Member

Sorry to semi Hijack thread, but anyone cycled back to French/Dutch ports from Esbjerg and can offer advice on nice/great places to visit or stay on the journey South

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

GDRS

TM – if you are still following the thread – I am interested in the maps…..

I don't much chance to visit here regularly which was the reason for ..

Drop me a mail (addy in profile) if interested.

R

ebygomm
    Free Member

I've read a few good blogs that cover that section of the north sea cycle route. Will see if i can dig the links out when i get home

mick_r

We are going that way but doing a drive and bike combo (with kids). We joined camping & caravan club to get 10% off the ferry (membership more than paid for itself with hideous expensive combo of summer + kids + cabin with a window + tall car).

Draw a line east across Sweden from Gothenburg – the landscape becomes more interesting north of that line (i.e. we found south pretty flat and dull). Another ferry to Sweden also runs Grena-Varberg.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Anyone cycled from Esbjerg (Denmark) to Malmo (Sweden)?’ is closed to new replies.