Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone converted their garage to a kitchen?
  • Woody
    Free Member

Looking at this as an alternative to extending the existing kitchen as it should work out cheaper as existing flat garage felt roof will need replaced soon and there’s and issue with ugly old cement/asbestos boiler chimney/flue cover which runs up the side of the house and I want removed.

Garage is approximately 9′ wide tapering to 7′ x 22′ long with cement floor and single skin brick joined to the side of the house.

Anyone done this and rough idea of cost excluding actual kitchen would be welcome along with any pics.

Cheers

Ps will be getting nice shed to compensate for loss of bike store 😉

dbcooper
    Free Member

No but my OH often converts the kitchen to a garage. Grrr.

midlifecrashes

£138,000

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fionap

No but my OH often converts the kitchen to a garage. Grrr.

Funny, I was about to write the same thing. Trying to cook a roast dinner whilst stepping over three filthy oily bikes (admittedly, one of these was mine) the other day was a challenge.

Woody
    Free Member

Thanks MLC ????? More than my house is worth ‘up north’ !!

Of course the wages at 18pence p/hour might bring the cost down a bit 😉

T1000
    Free Member

more than you expect!

from the description you give it’s likely that insulating the slab + sorting out any issues with the Foundations + insulating the walls + a new roof are likely to be more expensive than extending the kitchen with new build

have a look at your local planning departments website lots of them have free guides to the requirements

midlifecrashes

Yeah, sorry about that. Was picking a figure out of the air as none of us have any idea on whether the garage currently has a door into the house, what’s under it’s floor, where any services run if they are in the way of new openings, how you are going to heat it, what windows are required, what you want doing with the existing vehicular door opening and whether old bricks need to be matched, how much headroom for a new insulated roof, whether you want roof lights, if you are inside London Congestion Zone, whether your current consumer unit has capacity for a couple of new circuits, do you need a gas supply running in for a cooker, what finish you require or a dozen other things. But I’m willing to take a punt and stick with my original quote, but you’ll have to move out for six months, leave me your car keys and let me have a go on your wifebikes. 🙂

dingabell
    Free Member

We’re just about to do this but I have no idea of cost yet?
    Give me six months and I’ll let you know.
    I’m hoping its not going to be a case of think of a figure then double it.

dantsw13

I converted my garage to a family room, and got a new workshop. It’s very nice, but not as big as the old double garage. I’m about to put up a second shed to store bulky items like bike racks, lawn mower and camping kit.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone converted their garage to a kitchen?’ is closed to new replies.