• This topic has 19 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by rsl1.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anyone commute from Sheffield to Rotherham? How is it?
  • rsl1
    Free Member

Hi All,

Starting to look at rentals for moving up to Sheffield. My partner will need to commute in to Rotherham at least a few days a week and we’re trying to figure out the “least painful” areas in Sheffield to do this from. Ideally she’d use public transport over driving (for emissions and also no one likes driving in traffic) but accepts that may not be possible.

To some extent we want the moon on a stick because we’d love to be west side close to the city but equally we’re used to having a drive and garage and would miss this in a terraced house. Woodseats appeals for proximity to climbing centres, Walkley for friends and we’ve even considered Chapeltown since it’s right next to Greno and has a train station. It would be a bonus if I could be somewhere less likely to have all my bikes stolen too (I used to be on ride sheffield facebook group and was shocked at the number of stolen bike posts).

Suggestions on the best compromise would be greatly appreciated!

docrobster
    Free Member

I guess plenty of people do. Certainly I’ve a fair few friends who live in west Sheffield (ecclesall, crosspool and nether edge) and have commuted by car to central Rotherham regularly. I wouldn’t fancy the traffic on the parkway every morning though…
    if you want to avoid driving a lot of folk get the tram to Meadowhall and then presumably bus in to Rotherham. Or the train but getting to the train station in town can be a ball ache- another plus point for chapeltown there.
    There is the five weirs way cycle path which goes from centre of Sheffield to Rotherham. Comes out by the football ground/train station . I must admit I don’t know Rotherham terribly well but imagine it’s fairly central. So if she wants to cycle it’s possible and that particular route is one of the few flat bits of Sheffield. Leafy west Sheffield to central Rotherham is about 10 miles/45 mins by bike?

Edit- there is now a tram train service that switches from the tram tracks to train at Meadowhall and in to central Rotherham and park gate. So anywhere near the tram network makes sense.

Pook

Its better than commuting the other way, let’s put it that way!

I’m in Fulwood and can get to the train station in about 15 minutes riding. Then there are regular Rotherham trains too. Lots of places will give you that flexibility – just depends how much of a hill you can put up with to get home again!

I commute to Derby now from Sheffield so maybe my tolerances are higher.

Where in Rotherham?

matt_outandabout

I’ve a friend who has spent 12 years cycling from Nether Edge to Rotherham hospital as his commute.

He now cycles Sheffield to Chesterfield hospital a few times a week.

He suggests that distance is perfect for an eBike…

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve not had to do it loads so I’m no expert. The distance is not that far so outside of peak times it’s easy. But at rush hour it will take an hour in a car.

As above, a (n e-)bike option is worth considering. Unusually for Sheffield, the leg from Sheff central to Rotherham is pretty flat.

rsmythe
    Free Member

Wise move as Sheffield parkway has a lot of traffic during non Covid times. From Sheffield centre, it’s quick to get to Rotherham by train/tram train. To get to city centre quickly I’d recommend somewhere near Ecclesall Road because it has bus lanes most of the way into the centre. Otherwise getting to the centre of Sheffield will be slow. There are less posh areas on the various tram lines, where you will get more houses with garages, and a quickish commute to the centre of Sheffield.

sharkattack

I did it for a while, going from Dore to Rotherham every day. For me, there was no good way to do it. I could either take 2 buses that took 90 minutes at an absolute minimum (usually over 2 hours) to do less than 20 miles or I borrow the car and be at the mercy of spectacularly unpredictable traffic. Journey times of 30 minutes to an hour in bumper to bumper traffic and at least once a week, some idiot would manage to turn their car upside down on the Parkway. You can’t really go around the traffic because it’s the same everywhere. It’s just rammed at almost all times and the slightest upset means you’re going nowhere.

I did ride a few times but it was a miserable route on very busy roads.

Sorry, I’m sure someone will have better experience or more in depth route knowledge than me but I absolutely hated every second of it. Thankfully the job only lasted 3 months.

I love living in Sheffield but any time I have to get in a vehicle and just go from one place to another it can really fry my patience! It’s like being squeezed through a tube.

andrewh
    Free Member

My mate does Hunter’s Bar to an industrial estate somewhere in Rotherham. He is not a ‘proper’ cyclist but mostly does it on a bike in all weathers all year round and recons it’s fine, much easier than driving on the odd occasion he has to bring a works van home

tuboflard

Cycle or tram train would be my choice. Avoid the Parkway at all costs, especially with the major upcoming roadworks on it.

thepodge
    Free Member

Woodseats appeals for proximity to climbing centres

You know there’s one in Attercliffe, one in Brightside and one Kelham too don’t you? All of those areas would be far easier to get to Rotherham from however you’re still stuck with the Parkway which is a soul destroying road.

tinytim

I commute from Hathersage to Rotherham (hospital). Parkway is busy but v time dependent. Have to be fairly early to avoid traffic. 5 wiers way cycle route is flat & fairly traffic free from centre of Sheffield to Rotherham (I sometimes put bike on train to Sheff then cycle in, ride home via Stanage pole…)

jambourgie
    Free Member

I’d go up the canal towpath on a bike from Victoria Quays. Nice little flat ride that I do quite often for pleasure. I don’t hang around in Rotherham mind, just turn round and come back… Or come back via the Don/Five Weirs for a bit of variety.

teenrat

The five weirs walk or canal from Victoria quays isn’t a route I’d want to do in the dark

The Chapeltown or Ecclesfield area sounds ideal for what you are after.

Pook

On the Sheffield to rotherham canal is there still that really ammonia smelling factory near the arena?

jambourgie
    Free Member

Yes

Is it when you have to cross over? I know exactly what you mean. Can’t think what factory it is exactly.

matt_outandabout

I’ll also propose the canal and this:
    😎

matt_outandabout

The five weirs walk or canal from Victoria quays isn’t a route I’d want to do in the dark

Agreed.
    Even canoeing it in the day was ‘an adventure’.

cakeandcheese

I used to drive or ride from nether edge to s60 (technically Rotherham, but the Sheffield side of the m1).

Reliably 33mins by bike up the parkway cycle route (nowhere near the road), 30-45mins in the car.

Posts above make it sound worse than it is in my opinion.

dannybgoode

Look at north Sheffield – Grenoside for example. Nice area and very easy to get to Rotherham centre. 20 mins when the traffic is light. Probably double that when busy.

Lots of decent riding close to hand and Manchester, Leeds, the Pennines etc are all very accessible too.

rsl1
    Free Member

Thanks all this place is a font of knowledge! We’ve got a few viewings booked on sat so will keep the comments in mind. Especially useful to know about the bus lanes on ecclesall road an especially useful point as really we would love to be close to the city.

Well aware of the number of climbing centres and can’t wait! Currently spending 45 minutes to get to depot Birmingham and 2 hours to get outside so it’s going to be quite the improvement!

Also now she wants a jetski…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anyone commute from Sheffield to Rotherham? How is it?’ is closed to new replies.