Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Anyone collect art?
  • CaptJon
    Free Member

I’m a fan of information art and have quite a few infographics by The Luxury of Protest, and a couple things from art/design student shows.

Anyone else?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Wouldn’t say I collect it but I do have a few original pieces – don’t like the Ikea type prints. I even commissioned a piece for my wife’s birthday one year. Nothing fancy or expensive though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

When I’ve had £££ I’ve bought a few things at degree shows and from my sister’s arty pals (well £££…I spent mostly £50 on each piece)

No idea if they are any good but I like them…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve been fortunate to have had my art collected. A diverse group of private, corporate, museum and royal collectors.

eyerideit
    Free Member

That luxury of protest stuff is good, where did you get it? I loves me some nice typography.

I’ve got a couple of prints from YCN and a couple of original Designers Republic posters and a copy of the U&lc magazine they did. Not sure if it’s classed a real art but we like it.

eyerideit
    Free Member

mcmoonter – Member
    I’ve been fortunate to have had my art collected. A diverse group of private, corporate, museum and royal collectors.

Let’s have a look?

Edit: Please

CaptJon
    Free Member

eyerideit – Member
    That luxury of protest stuff is good, where did you get it? I loves me some nice typography.

Some is available direct from the website. Some is here, other bits from Design Supremo.

CountZero

Got a few bits and pieces I’ve bought from the RA Summer Exhibition.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Let’s have a look?

I studied briefly at the Prado in Madrid. That’s where the Velasquez sampling was inspired from.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Thanks for sharing, the first seascapes my favorate.

brakes
    Free Member

we have a few limited edition prints ranging in value (cost). I would buy more but rarely see stuff I like – but that’s probably because we tend to go to the wrong galleries = those in seaside towns, small villages and the like that we stumble upon rather than seeking them out.
    there’s a pop-up gallery near us at the moment and they’ve had about 5 exhibitors so far that have all be woeful and expensive.

I’d say we’re inclined towards abstract stuff – expressionist plus stuff inspired by Mondrian, Rothko, colour field things, geometric abstraction, landscapes, if anyone knows of any galleries/ sites for place to look and buy?

samuri
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ve got boxes full of the stuff. You can have the lot for two grand.

samuri
    Free Member

And your stuff is amazing mcmoonter, very impresive.

TooTall
    Free Member

This might be a bit street but:

Weapon of Choice
    King of Paint

Nice bikey prints here:

Boneshaker Prints

Can you tell I live in Bristol and love it?

damo2576
    Free Member

mcmoonter – your work really reminds me of Peter Doig!

Edit: the seascape and last cyclist

Harris
    Free Member

http://www.theoutsiders.net/content/image/full/artwork/conor-harrington/print/when-we-were-kings-6101.jpg

I purchased this recently. I have other stuff hanging up (Faile, Banksy) but this is my favourite.

yunki
    Free Member

hmmmm..

I paint abstract canvasses which don’t generally sell as a rule..

so in a way I collect art in the cupboard under the stairs

make me an offer..?

nickjb
    Free Member

We have a few pieces from local artists but it’s far from a collection. Bristol seems to have quite a thriving art scene and there are regular ‘art trails’ where local artists open up their homes as makeshift galleries. Well worth a visit if you are interested in art or just plain nosey.

redthunder
    Free Member

I have a few pieces in the Billiard room.

I’ll grab a piccy.

IMG_2742 by SGMTB, on Flickr

I’ll sort a colour copy out. They supposed to be a pair called Male & Female.

binners

I’ve got quite a few original pieces, as I much prefer having unique stuff up on the walls at home. They don’t have to cost you serious money at all!

I used to go to the end of degree shows at the Universities and buy some of the graduates work. They’re always full of really fresh an interesting artwork that doesn’t cost you a fortune

joemarshall
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say we collect art, but we have a couple of Polish communist era posters on our wall, and if I had oodles of money to spare we’d probably have more, but most of them are a bit expensive. We have one of the Cyrk polish circus posters , and a 1960s one promoting bike riding in Poland which was very widely printed so not super expensive (like this one: http://www.polishposter.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=0042 ). And some early 20th century Japanese prints which I can’t remember what the story behind them is, I think they might be woodblock prints, but I can’t remember what they were for. Oh and a small print of a Lucienne Day fabric pattern. Bit of a random hodgepodge of originally commercial/promotional stuff.

Joe

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Sort of, my wife is an artist so has lots of artist friends – got paintings by several scottish artists including ken currie and Gerry burns.

redthunder
    Free Member

Some of my favourites on the walls at the moment…

IMG_7422 by SGMTB, on Flickr

IMG_7423 by SGMTB, on Flickr

IMG_7424 by SGMTB, on Flickr

IMG_7426 by SGMTB, on Flickr

IMG_7428 by SGMTB, on Flickr

IMG_7429 by SGMTB, on Flickr

Harris
    Free Member

redthunder I’d happily have anyone of those hanging in my house. I particularly like the cow.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@mcmoonter – I too like those rocks/sescapes

@yunki – I really quite like that … YGM

SaxonRider

Since you lot seem to like forest-y type things, perhaps you would like the work of this artist.

She lives in t’North, and her work has been shown all over the place.

EDIT: Your work is wondeful, Mcmoonter.

redthunder
    Free Member

@harris

Thanks.

slimraybob
    Free Member

Really like that Yunki, if I had any money at all I would make you an offer.

piha
    Free Member

Redthunder I like the 5th one, who is the artist?

I’m liking some of the stuff up ^^ there ^^ but I know little about art apart from what I like and I guess that what matters.

I don’t collect art but I have managed to pick up a few bits and pieces along the way. One of my favourite artists is Howaida Moussa Weel from Barbados, I think her work captures Barbados rather well.

I also like Duncan MacGregor as I think his work captures the west coast of Scotland, it especially reminds me of the Isle of Skye.

chutney13
    Free Member

Yunki

i really like that too.

redthunder
    Free Member

The 5th one is a Jonathan Shaw

http://www.jonathanshawartist.co.uk/

I bought it at an auction because it reminds of the River Severn where I live 🙂

gixer.john
    Free Member

We bought a Jonathan Shaw original with some of our wedding gift money – it was the only artist that we both liked. Similar to the painting above, but with more red and some darker blues. we got to name it to which was nice.

We got it for the same price a some of his limited edition prints, so we thought it was a bit of a bargain.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Anyone collect art?’ is closed to new replies.