Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Anyone change their first name?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Been thinking about it on and off for years. Just wondering what’s involved. Is it a major hassle? Also wondering how you went about picking a replacement? Also how did friends and family react to it?

Thanks.

Not quite the same, but used my middle name since I changed schools at around 7 years old. 1st name Nicky and it drew a bit of micky taking being a bit girly. So started using David. Slightly regret it now, but family still fall me Nick. Wife, daughter and friends call me Dave

darrell
    Free Member

Really

“Call me Dave”

RoterStern
    Free Member

Back in the day a friend of mine changed his name twice at the expense of the taxpayer (he was on the dole at the time). First to Moya then to Bela Lugosi. Always amused when his Giro arrived. Seemed to be fairly straightforward though.

mrblobby
    Free Member

First to Moya then to Bela Lugosi

Blimey, think I’d change it to the most boring and inconspicuous name I can think of. Or I may just ask for suggestions from friends and pick one out of a hat 🙂

xcgb
    Free Member

Wife, daughter and friends call me Dave

You are IDave and I claim my £5!

brakes
    Free Member

what is your current first name?

philconsequence
    Free Member

i changed my first name a few years back, wont say what it used to be but i’m now ‘Phil’, which if you trust those little ‘what your name means’ things they used to sell in clinton cards, means ‘lover of horses’

i don’t love horses.

grum
    Free Member

i changed my first name a few years back, wont say what it used to be but i’m now ‘Phil’

I don’t know why you changed it, it’s not like being called ‘Cockchops’ is that embarrassing really.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve toyed with the idea of changing my middle name as I hate it, but I’d view as insulting my parents and bless ’em, they have enough to deal with 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

i dont have a middle name, but if i did i’d change it to cockchops

ska-49
    Free Member

My friend was called Richard but decided to change it to Sam one day in primary school. Now every one calls him Sam and even his work refers to him as Sam on the web. It’s not legal though.

real_ben10
    Free Member

I’m also known by my middle name, always have been due to a quirky family thing. I would prefer to go by my first name but at 33 it’s probably too late to change now.

alfabus
    Free Member

A girl at work changed her first name when she got married (as well as changing her surname). She says she just never liked her original name – new name is a complete fiction, not related to middle names or anything.

She got a fair amount of stick from people who couldn’t understand it, and loads of intrusive questioning about what her parents would think; not from me, I hasten to add – she can be called whatever she likes in my opinion.

It took about 2 months for people to get used to the idea and stop commenting on it. One guy here (her boss) actually admitted last week that he couldn’t remember her old name, despite working with her for a year prior to the name change!

Dave

DezB
    Free Member

Iv’e considered it recently.
    Decided I’ll just kick the shit out of Rick Gervais instead

apparently MrBlobby’s first name is Barry. Barry Blobby.

mrblobby
    Free Member

The insulting to parents thing is a real consideration, but they are fully aware of what I think of their choice of names (first and middle are frankly ridiculous.) I think it would still be disappointing for them but probably not as bad as the 40 years that I’ve had to put up with the names they chose.

It’s funny how something that you have no say over is deemed so integral to your identity.

TBH, I’m actually not that bothered about the first name anymore but the middle name is god awful.

real_ben10, I know what you mean about it being too late to change it, wish I’d done it in my 20s.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21229475

Its not “Number 14 Bus Shelter” is it?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Someone called their kid “Semicolon”?! 😯

zilog6128

My friend was called Richard but decided to change it to Sam one day in primary school.

One of the kids in my class at primary school tried to do this (which we went along with). But then the parents complained and the teachers made us call him by his given name. Sad to say we all caved. Can’t remember now what either name was though!

wwaswas

Semicolon

his sister’s called ‘Fullcolon’ and just sounds like she needs a poo all the time…

retro83
    Free Member

mrblobby – Member

Someone called their kid “Semicolon”?!

That’s a half-arsed effort.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Girl i knew woke up after a heavy session. At some point during the immense hangover went online and checked her emails

Thank you for using deedpoll online service

She had no memory of changing her name to Clarity. 😆

hels
    Free Member

I worked with a guy whose name on his birth certificate was Semiquaver. He went by “Semi” which is not an uncommon name for Samoans so never really raised any questions. How we laughed when we saw his payslip one time. His brother was Demiquaver. Musical family. True story !

messiah
    Free Member

I used to work with a guy I new as “Paddy”… his father was “Paddy”… his grandfather was “Paddy” etc… but none of them ever had Paddy or Patrick etc as a name. Great fun when your trying to find out what room he is in at a hotel/etc when you don’t actually know his proper first name.

Cougar

Ah, the dark side of casual racism.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thank you for using deedpoll online service

Blimey, didn’t realise you can do it all online. There’s even an express one hour service!

M1llh0use
    Free Member

lol @ cockchops!!!

actually…

Andy Cockchops M1llh0use. it’s got a certain ring to it!!

philconsequence
    Free Member

if ever i have a kid it’s first name is going to be one of the following:

Captain
    General
    King/Queen
    Doctor
    Misses/Mistah
    Oi

no middle name, just one of the above and my surname.

Rorschach
    Free Member

This lot managed it.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d6t6jOte-w[/video]

mrblobby
    Free Member

Philconsequences, hoping for some nominative determinism? I may not ask you for suggestions when picking a new name 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

nope, no nomination determinators here. just want to ensure they always get a table or good seat if they have to ring up and book something.

its the little things that mean my kids will have a good life, and mean that i’ll surely win father of the year

mrblobby
    Free Member

its the little things that mean my kids will have a good life, and mean that i’ll surely win father of the year

Having grown up with a ridiculous name, for the sake of the happiness of your child, I urge you to reconsider 🙂

When you changed to Phil did you just do the deedpoll thing? And why choose Phil?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Cockchopsconsequence.

Now that’s a proper forum name.

tomhoward

Abel Smith did it easily enough.

TAFAKSTR
    You are Rodney Trotter and I claim my £5

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hmm according to the citizens advice website you can change your name by just making a public announcement. I wonder if a post on STW is sufficient?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Can you change someone else’s name by making an announcement though?

That would be more fun I think

wwaswas

I’d be changing my surname away from ‘blobby’ tbh.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’d be changing my surname away from ‘blobby’ tbh.

That may not be my real name. Though if it was it wouldn’t be much worse.

wwaswas

I suppose your initials aren’t M and R either?

~Tsk, people on here using fake names 🙄

mrblobby
    Free Member

Might not be. Though I did have a friend who’s initials were D and R and he became a doctor.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Anyone change their first name?’ is closed to new replies.