Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anyone carpet lined the back of your van?
  • redstripe
    Free Member

Our Kombi has cheap thin hardboard panelling in the back which dents and scratches all too easily particularly when loading with bikes and general crap. Didn’t really want to make it too utilitarian with just ply lining so was thinking of doing, not the whole area, maybe just the panels with some of that black stretchy stick on carpet. And maybe put some sound deadening/insulation behind the panels as we sometimes kip in it. Straightforward enough to do? Any experience and recommended carpet/suppliers to use? Cheers

Simon

I did the panels and wheel arches in the back of my T4 with carpet and spray adhesive from Megavanmats.
    I used the original hardboard panels as templates and cut new plywood panels.
    It’s easy enough to do and there are loads of how to vids on Youtube.
    I insulated behind the panels with some wool insulation that a neighbour gave me.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, exactly what Simon did here too, take your time, there’s not much to it.

falkirk-mark

I have done it recently and it works better the smaller the area you are doing, are you wrapping the ply then screwing on which would make it simpler. Also sound proofed the steel (used dodo mat) used kingspan/celotex insulation along with recycled bottle type rockwool stuff and some closed cell insulation (do not skimp too much on insulation as you have to pull it all apart again if you have not done it right) (all my insulation repels water but I still had a vapour barrier anyway aluminium bubble wrap type stuff sealed with aluminium tape). Bought 4 way stretch carpet along with high temp adhesive from ebay. I went for beige as I have 2 golden Labs

jeff

+1 for Megavanmats carpet and glue – lasted 10 years on my T4

Mugboo

Megavan mats here too. I carpeted front to back over the metalwork then carpeted my ply and fitted over the top. Insulated first of course

hols2
    Free Member

tthew

I am thinking of doing the cab side bulkhead on mine because it’s cheap enough and I’m not keen on the black painted metal. I’m concerned that stretching the carpet over a concave surface will mean the tension lifts it off over time. Anyone ever had this problem?

onehundredthidiot

I put the thin rubber sound deadening stuff over the whole bulk head then covered that with carpet. All good three years on. Made a huge difference.

jaylittle
    Free Member

Did mine last summer, it’s an on going project at the moment.
    Bought my carpet from Harrison’s trim supplies as they are pretty local to me and went to a local flooring place for some vinyl to lay on the floor.

https://www.harrisonstrimsupplies.co.uk

mrjmt
    Free Member

As above, mega van mats. Top folk, even customised our van mat while we waited after we changed the seat bases in our old t4.

redstripe
    Free Member

Thanks all, will get on to Mega Van Mats

tillydog
    Free Member

I’m concerned that stretching the carpet over a concave surface will mean the tension lifts it off over time.

If you use automotive stretch carpet or Veltrim it won’t – the material ‘gives’ slightly as you fit it, rather than stretching like elastic. Once stuck on with the right adhesive it won’t lift (not necessarily the case if you use domestic carpet).

tthew

Thanks onhundredthidiot and tillydog.

onehundredthidiot

Maybe not obvious but I used megavanmats “carpet”

andy8442
    Free Member

OP, when you say Kombi do you mean a VW T5/6? There are quite a few companies on eBay selling the panels already carpeted.Saying that, if I can do it then anyone can. Megavanmats and Harrison Trim are the places to go.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

It helps deaden the screams but I worry about leaving DNA evidence behind.

redstripe
    Free Member

andy8442 – yes a VW T6 kombi, I saw the ready made ones on ebay around £270 delivered for all panels. Was going to compare this (with adding insulation) to how much Megavanmats would charge for everything to do it yourself, and think about my time to do it as well. May well be more cost effective to get ready done ones, they’re not open till Monday now so will wait and see. Thanks.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anyone carpet lined the back of your van?’ is closed to new replies.