Anyone built a waterwheel?

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Anyone built a waterwheel?
  • twowheels

@doris5000 – your 6500kwh/5 = 1300kwh annual is pretty good.. UK average semi-detached is triple that [ ref: https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/how-much-electricity-does-a-home-use.html ]

doris5000

yeah we’re a mid terrace which is unoccupied between 9am and 6pm every day so I figured we’d be on the low side. (also no kids). But the heating, hob and shower all run off gas so that probably balances it out a bit.

Might see if I can fit a water mill to the drainpipe with all this rain we’ve had lately tho!

Bit of a for shots and giggles experiment today

Will try and get a video up of the results!

Not the best vid, but the wheel was fair rattling around!

AdamT

If you connected that to your turbo, you could get yourself a Zwift Tron bike pretty quickly 😉. Fascinating thread btw, watching with interest.

twowheels

Good bodging and innovative use of plant pots there!

I guess you have grander plans in mind but just thinking of power simplistically here –

I counted 24 revolutions (looking at the blue pot) in a 21s ~interval when it was up to speed.

The plant pots look around 750ml and there seems to ~3 with water going down at any time.

With the 700c wheel you’re probably getting a useful drop of max 50cm.

So, I reckon this is giving you:
    3 (kg) * 0.75 * 9.8 (gravity) * 0.5 (height) * (24/21) (t) = 13w absolute max :).

Not worth connecting to an alternator but it’s plenty to charge your phone with a bike dynamo! 🙂

(This does ignore the effect of the water’s momentum when it hits your buckets but I don’t think this is a big error and I rounded everything else up)

twowheels

Assuming no planning/regulatory issues I think you potentially have a good site.

A lighthearted comment: I saw some series on Youtube with millions of views- one guy spent months building a damn, chute and a few iterations of wheel. In the end he was getting 5w usable power and people loved it in the comments. As an (wannabe) environmentalist though I have to point out the concrete he used alone probably ate all the carbon emissions benefit and ignoring the youtube cash the project would be almost a pure financial loss 🙂 I’ve got half way through his new series (new house, bigger head) and he has hit 6w.

The message is clear- try to be a Youtube star rather than save the planet or your electricity bill 😀 OR do calcs and planning first to make sure expectations match reality 🙂

Aye, could get maybe 6-7 m of head from top to bottom of the garden but don’t want to take that water out of the beck and pipe it across, hence the waterwheel, minimal ecological impact, if I can get it to power a heat store in winter with solar thermal for the summer could be a winner (wont pay economically but to offset the oil we currently use for heating and hot water potentially environmentally worthwhile)

Premier Icon siwhite
    Subscriber

Late to the party, but there was an episode of a programme called Its Not Easy Being Green that featured a DIY waterwheel. Possibly online somewhere?

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.