Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Anyone built a diy packraft?
  • kaiser
    Free Member

Came across the kits recently which claim with a heat sealing tool and a bit of work you can build yourself a packraft at up to 80% saving on the normal cost. Anyone got experience of these and what do you think of the finished product quality (assuming properly constructed ) Thanks in advance..Bill.

epicyclo

I think he drowned…

Actually I’m interested too – got any useful links?

kaiser
    Free Member

https://www.diypackraft.com/

Haven’t looked much further yet but some stuff on Youtube also.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CraigW
    Free Member

I’ve just been looking at this myself. About £140 for the kit, plus £50 postage, not too expensive.

There are plenty of instructions and videos on that website.

What sort of heat sealing iron to get? Seems most of the recommended models are American, so designed for 120V.

kaiser
    Free Member

funnily enough the reason why i came across the kit is that today i picked up a heat sealing tool /iron at a local car boot sale ..I wasn’t actually sure what it was commonly used for but after a quick google it seems it’s a decent one  and they are often purchased by RC model aircraft nuts to cover the wings etc with a smooth  film so they’re certainly available over here for 240v supplies . Aren’t many electrical devices designed for both 110 and 240v? .Guess with an iron it would overheat if designed only for 110v but used here? I’m not an electrician btw if it’s not obvious!

jamj1974

I see myself watching a fair few YouTube videos on this despite having no skills or intention to make one!

epicyclo

This bloke has a few interesting variations

http://www.cubenmaker.com

epicyclo

Pack rafting up Loch Ness next summer anyone? 🙂

scud
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at a very similar one:

https://iron-raft.co.uk/

But as someone who usually irons in more creases than he takes out, i wondered how hard they were to get good finish…

thenorthwind

I can’t be much help as I briefly considered this, and then bought a second hand Alpacka.

But I do remember reading somewhere that the guy who put all the work into diypackraft.com (and there’s a lot of information there) wasn’t very happy at all about someone taking his designs and selling them under the name Iron Raft, so that’s something you might want to consider depending on your morals.

If anyone wants to go packrafting in the north of England or southern Scotland, let me know. Done a couple of short trips but still exploring it.

scotroutes

Pack rafting up Loch Ness next summer anyone?

TBH I don’t reckon it would be that interesting. It’s all a bit samey. Nice place to use a sail though.

There are a few wee lochs just south of Loch Ness that would make a better packrafting trip.

I’m out in North Uist at the moment. Ideal packrafting country.

Rafts

scud
    Free Member

Has any one actually built one, easy for the relatively cack-handed?

piemonster

*interested*

piemonster

Looks like somewhere around £275 to £300 once including the kit, shipping, tools, adhesives, scrap practice fabric.

And something about 30hrs labour.

scotroutes

No seat and no deck either. I don’t know if it would be possible to buy these as separate items from some of the other packraft companies. Without either you will end up sitting in a puddle.

Depends on your planned usage though.

whitestone
    Free Member

@piemonster – add duty and then VAT unless there’s a UK distributor who’s already paid them.

CraigW
    Free Member

The standard kit includes a seat, and some scraps for practice.

Should be doable for under £300, including VAT.

rene59
    Free Member

How much are the equivalent leading brand ones?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Anyone built a diy packraft?’ is closed to new replies.