Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Anyone bought a record player recently?
  • meandyuk

Looking for one as a gift (ideally white/wooden effect) – there seems to be quite a few out there but none that get great reviews.

Looking for one with speakers or maybe bluetooth enabled + speaker. £100 – £200 mark.

Cheers!
    Andy

jekkyl

Would you like slim line salad dressing?

Rubber_Buccaneer

and a bag on your head?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

No i don’t want woofers and tweeters.

DezB
    Free Member

TurnerGuy to the thread please! 😀

the-muffin-man

…but none that get great reviews.

There’s a reason for that!

jekkyl

What about Dolby grandad?

DezB
    Free Member

This one looks pretty good

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5761935

Sounds shit, but looks ok 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Awesome –

jekkyl

You don’t have to post pics of your own player dezwold!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Looking for one as a gift

why ?

At that budget anything you get is going to be poor and sound far inferior to a CD player at the same budget, and even more crazy as the cost of vinyl is often significantly more, for a fragile and flawed medium.

And if someone really is thinking about getting into vinyl then if you go and get them some dodgy budget thing then it is only going to be awkward for them when they want to upgrade from it…

You would be better off with some sort of network enabled type thing, or a decent bluetooth speaker – for the bluetooth speaker you would be giving a present that was in the mid-to-top range where a turntable at that price would be below the bottom of the range.

Bose soundlink mini was decent and has the cachet of the Bose name (ahem…) and would make a nice present. Or one of the others from their range.

flyingmonkeycorps

This one looks pretty good

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5761935

Sounds shit, but looks ok 😀

I photographed one of those for a previous job. I wouldn’t recommend one. Not if you want to play records.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

my deck, doing it up as it hasn’t been used for years :

just replaced the RB300 with OL upgrades that was on it.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Turnerguy is making a lot of sense.

If you want to get someone a decent budget turntable, have a look at the Pro-ject ones. They seem to get very good reviews at the cheaper end of the market. They do one with a USB and built pre-amp, so you can plug it straight in to a standard amplifier. Not many amp’s come with phono stages anymore.

Nico
    Free Member

If you want to get someone a decent budget turntable, have a look at the Pro-ject ones. They seem to get very good reviews at the cheaper end of the market. They do one with a USB and built pre-amp, so you can plug it straight in to a standard amplifier.

Sounds like the OP wants an all-in-one, with amp and even speakers. All seems crazy when you can get a bluetooth speaker to connect to your phone and stream digital music at a respectable quality for the sort of money we’re talking about.

DezB
    Free Member

bluetooth speaker to connect to your phone and stream digital music

Huh? But but my records! I wanna play my records!

(Well, not me, but whoever OP is buying for)

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

(Well, not me, but whoever OP is buying for)

someone has records but no record player ?

sounds to me like it’s going to someone who has been enthused by the current non-sensical fashion for record players.

how about this for retro from ebay :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Panasonic-SG-4000-Music-Center-Record-Deck-Tape-Player-With-Speakers/173627761236?hash=item286d056254:g:UJ4AAOSwjNdb4sK0:rk:13:pf:0

flyingmonkeycorps

Pro-Ject do a Bluetooth turntable, but it’s about £350 and you have to add speakers. Gets some pretty stonking reviews though, in fairness.

I have a Pro-Ject deck, can’t remember which one, but for the money it’s not too bad.

meandyuk

Cheers for the suggestions, i’ve found a pro-ject with phono output.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01L9AJ9EM/ref=psdc_4085841_t1_B00XHMI352

Looks good but now I need a speaker to hook it upto.

I have both Alexa and a sonos play 1 – any way of hooking this bad boy up without spending much £££ on the sonos connect?

I appreciate this is turning into quite a techie thread – soz!

Cheers

meandyuk

gobuchul: Cheers I think that might be the answer, that player with the new amazon echo dot plus will suffice I reckon !

Thanks all.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Anything involving an ADC with USB/Wifi/Bluetooth etc is defeating the point of vinyl really.

Real purists would insist on vinyl pressings from analogue recordings with no digital stuff along the way.

wcolt
    Free Member

I bought an ion one for that sort of money but not great sound

go for the audio technica I suggest

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Anything involving an ADC with USB/Wifi/Bluetooth etc is defeating the point of vinyl really.

apparently not  – I was only reading something recently aboout people immediately digiising their vinyl – the recording must maintain the increased crosstalk, compression and distortion that vinyl lovers like.

redmex
    Free Member

I have a project gets used maybe once a year but im lime green looks great and sounds pretty good too, I have my old biscuit tin Systemdek but needs repaired must find someone as its probably just a loose connection

sparksmcguff

I know it’s not what your after, but the Bose soundlink  mini is decent and clips to your handlebars.

http://www.harrowaudiohifi.co.uk/perfect-turntable-system

That is pretty close to an entry level bundle.

DezB
    Free Member

how about this for retro from ebay :

I was gonna suggest an old music centre, my brother has one. But I ended up just posting silly things.

johnners
    Free Member

I was gonna suggest an old music centre, my brother has one. But I ended up just posting silly things.

Just go all in and suggest a Dansette, at least it’ll have some retro chic as it mashes the grooves in the vinyl smooth. You can get a recon one for around £600.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Anyone bought a record player recently?’ is closed to new replies.