Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Anyone bought a new TV recently? Looking for a recommendation
  • meandyuk

Looking for something for around the £600 mark – looking at 43″ – 50″ max.

Which ones are any good? not bought one for a while…

Cheers,
    Andy

dooosuk
    Free Member

Pretty much all brands except LG and Samsung use boards bought in from a company called Vestel. Some Panasonic’s do and some don’t.

Vestel boards are crap and fail….I know as my Toshiba’s failed 1 mth out of warranty. Managed to fix mine by relaxing the failed resister for a few pence thankfully.

There’s forum called badcaps which seems full of TV repair people who are very helpful and maintain a list of all the brand’s they find Vestel boards in.

redmist
    Free Member

I returned two Samsungs (MU6400 I think) because of horrible light bleed in the corners and edges (properly set up and adjusted). Thought I was unlucky until a mate had the same issue with a 55 inch. Replaced with a LG SJ810V and have no complaints although maybe slightly over your budget.

FuzzyWuzzy

Usually around now they start discounting this year’s model range to (at least Samsung & LG) so worth just keeping an eye out for bargains. Personally I’d always go Samsung or LG myself but was over a year ago I bought mine so can’t offer a recent recommendation.

johndrummer
    Free Member

I bought a JVC 49” 4K smart tv for £399. Sound quality was awful – distorted even at very low volume levels – and it had a habit of staying in stand-by mode , nothing would get it to switch on, if it was left that way for more than a couple of days. Needed unplugging from mains & leaving for 10mins to reset before it could be used again

so I took it back & upgraded it to an LG 50” 4K smart tv for £499. Much better

andyl
    Free Member

£600 is quite a budget for that size of TV.

Buy a 55″, you will get used to it in a couple of days

Bimbler
    Free Member

A smidge over budget but in this weeks Richer email

<b>Panasonic TX49FX700B</b>

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

My neighbour wanted a new 40 inch TV, so I recommended that Panasonic above in 40 guise and she is pretty happy with it.

If you can find a Sony XE9005 going cheap, that owuld be a good buy.

dantsw13

Have you considered an HD projector? Mine shoots onto the wall, is ceiling mounted, and the whole package was £600 including Sony surround sound speakers off eBay.

I project a 4m image, but it doesn’t need to be that big.

DezB
    Free Member

An aside – I know you’ve like, paid out for it now, but is anyone honestly impressed with UHD?

I’ve still got a (cost over a grand!) Panansonic Plasma and I can’t see that the Ultra on my brother’s LG TV is any better than the normal HD on mine.

themilo
    Free Member

To the OP, I gambled on a Hisense because it was cheap for the spec. Don’t. Replaced after 2 months for a newer model (screen issue) and then replaced again after 1 month (similar screen issue) for an LG. LG has been faultless and a lot quicker around the EPG.

Re uhd – not exactly blown away no.  Some of the YouTube 4k stuff is impressive and maybe if an Xbox X turns up at Xmas I’ll change my mind but if i hadn’t been upgrading from 720p I prob wouldn’t have bothered.

tmb467
    Free Member

Got the last years version of that Panasonic in 58” version and it’s very good. That model seems to be a bit better for HDR

If you can stretch to it I’d say it’s a good buy

cyclingwilly
    Free Member

Buy a Sony via Richer Sounds, but sign up to their email and you’ll get an extra years warranty.

FuzzyWuzzy

An aside – I know you’ve like, paid out for it now, but is anyone honestly impressed with UHD?

I am (went slightly silly and bought a 65″ LG OLED for it though), I can definitely notice the difference although I think HDR actually improves things more itself. The main issue is lack of UHD content, Netflix is pretty good (although annoyingly a lot of the movies are HD), Amazon Prime is pretty pants and Sky Q is still a bit of a waste of money (unless you’re really into F1 & footie). Films on Sky Q only seem to average 1 every 2-3 weeks in UHD and the Sky Atlantic stuff is even rarer.

lowey

55″ LG OLED here and the 4k stuff on Netflix is stunning.

Had to do a bit of playing around with the settings thought to get the best out of it.

LG or Samsung every time for TV’s

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve got an LG UK6500 55 inch 4k which is really nice. Decent sound quality as well. I’d also recommend getting a Chromecast Ultra to expand your watching options.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

LG or Samsung every time for TV’s

Only if you want something that is not as good as a Sony…

The Q9 Samsung does look good though

thorpie
    Free Member

Purchased a LG C8 55inch OLED TV today as it happens. £1000 off at Currys! Waiting for a new AV stand before trying it but looked mighty impressive in the shop.

Trevor.

bigfoot
    Free Member

I’ve still got a (cost over a grand!) Panansonic Plasma

i’ve the same(50″ GT50 which cost similar just over 5 years ago) and nothing i’ve seen makes me think i want to change it to get UHD until OLED becomes more affordable.

Drac

I’ve still got a (cost over a grand!) Panansonic Plasma

I had one of those, was brilliant at the time but got blown away by my daughter’s mid price Samsung LED so I got rid of it.

bigfoot
    Free Member

i would maybe agree with that compared with my 10 year old plasma which is still in use in the bedroom but not with the GT50, new LED’s maybe match it but don’t offer any noticeable improvement.

Caher

Been looking at an LG olded but the lack of uhd content puts me off. Picture on my 6 year old LG HD is still excellent.

andyg1966

Sold my 1080p Panasonic plasma and bought a 4k HDR LG 43″. Kinda preferred the plasma because of the deep blacks. HDR just makes the whites bright LCD’s still struggle with deep black. Bring on big OLED TVs..

Saying that 4k is work having for HDR alone.

bigG
    Free Member

I bought a 50″ Sony Bravia TV from John Lewis for a smidge under £500 , it’s out in the summer house / man cave and I have to say the picture and sound quality kick the ass out of the slightly older Sony TV in the living room.

Plus you have the certainty that you’ll get decent back up from JL if it does go belly up. *

https://www.johnlewis.com/sony-bravia-kdl50wf663-led-hdr-full-hd-1080p-smart-tv-50-with-freeview-play-cable-management-black/p3487466

*caveat – I’m a JL partner so I would say that obvs.

CountZero

Had to do a bit of playing around with the settings thought to get the best out of it.

That should be standard practice with any new TV, look on AVForums for whatever TV  it is, set up according to their settings, see how it looks, then tweak according to taste. I did that with my 42” Bravia, and I’ve been perfectly happy with the picture ever since. Spent a couple of hours in total, but really worth it.

The set was £899, reduced from £1400 in Curry’s Boxing Day sale, 14 years ago.

rene59
    Free Member

While there is a TV thread going – what type of TV should I get for being hooked up permanently to a desktop PC and not a sky, cable or any other tv type box? About 55″-60″ required. Want to avoid ‘burn in’ as found on previous plasma and LCD before that.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’m not sure any current tech eliminates burn in, it’s still mostly reliant on the source jittering the logo images or screensavers kicking in.

As for a TV to permanently hook up to a PC, I’d probably go for a budget option and factor in replacing it every year or two. Depends what you’re displaying on it but budget TVs are generally fine with relatively static 1080 resolution images. If you’re trying to showcase some high res graphics then I guess OLED is currently the best option – they can suffer burn in though.

Drac

Want to avoid ‘burn in’ as found on previous plasma and LCD before that.

Are you leaving a static image on the screen all day every day? If not I’d not worry about it.

rene59
    Free Member

No high res stuff or anything static day in day out, I’ll just go down the budget route then, ta.

Fat-boy-fat

Hijacking this thread … any recommendations for which brand of OLED is best for watching sport? I’ve seen a 65 inch LG but everyone seemed to be a bit blurry. I don’t know if it was upscaling to 4k that caused it (shouldn’t be as it was on BT Sport through Sky and I thought that wad UHD but the owner is not too tech savvy).

Any thoughts?

FuzzyWuzzy

I’ve not watched footie on my LG 65″ OLED but with UHD F1 & films there’s no obvious blurring/ghosting. My dad has the 55″ version and occasionally has had UHD footie on it and I can’t say I noticed blurring/ghosting either. There are a load of settings to adjust and different modes available though so might just be your mate hadn’t adjusted it properly – or maybe I’m just not particularly sensitive to blurring (I can spot the soap opera effect a mile away though). OLEDs in general are supposed to be weaker than standard (but good quality) LED panels for blurring

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Anyone bought a new TV recently? Looking for a recommendation’ is closed to new replies.