Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • anyone bought a firmer spring for a pike ?
  • scaredypants

(paging Mr Grumm…)

Was there enough difference between standard and firm to make it worthwhile, or do you wish you’d got an x-firm?

(I’m especially interested if you’re 14-14half stone of rippling loveliness)

hora
    Free Member

Xfirm might be too stiff for you unless you do alot of drops offs etc.

Im 15.5 stone and use a xfirm

grumm
    Free Member

I’m 16 stone and got an x-firm – personally I think its too firm and I’m gonna swap it for a firm.

Ordered a firm from SBR Sports and it wasn’t packaged properly and seems to be damaged – AVOID!

scruff
    Free Member

Firm in mine and Im 15st, only bottomed out on biggest drop Ive ever done.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m 13st and a bit, fitted a firm spring and it’s much better

adey205
    Free Member

i’m 17 st, looking to firm mine up. suppose x-firm would be best?

scruff
    Free Member

When I asked Madison they said firm for me, TF said X-firm.

scaredypants

ta,
    (should add, I’m not RAD or owt – I’ve never even been to dartmoor 😉 )
    I nearly bought one from SBR a bit ago but their website wouldn’t take the order (and they’ve bumped up their price since)

roughneck
    Free Member

I’m 13 1/2 stone and my standard one is far to soft. I need to get it changed. It bottoms out all the time. I was thinking x firm or do I just need to change the grade of oil.

adey205
    Free Member

oil! now there’s an option

Rockplough
    Free Member

13.5 stone. Went to a firm which improved things a lot.

devs
    Free Member

17st + in bike kit and x – firm just fine for me. Thought it might be too soft but it isn’t so I’m obviously not extreme enough!

adey205
    Free Member

cheers devs, think that’ll help. got to do something soon. like riding a bloody pogo stick….

retro83
    Free Member

I think there is some range for each version.

I’m 14 stone ish and a firm still feels too soft. Even without drops or jumps I bottom it out fairly regularly.

With the u-turn wound down to 90mm, I can easily bottom the fork by just lifting the front wheel and bouncing it back down.

grumm
    Free Member

Hmm well I only ever get to about 2/3rds travel with my x-firm, even doing jumps or going fast on really rocky stuff. I’m not a very smooth rider either!

Wonder if the geometry of the bike has any effect?

daveh
    Free Member

“I think there is some range for each version.”

Ah the glory of springs where the variation between springs of the same weight is greater than the difference to the next weight of spring. Makes life difficult! I think they should be individually tested, like led bins!

steve_b77
    Free Member

devs – Member
    17st + in bike kit and x – firm just fine for me. Thought it might be too soft but it isn’t so I’m obviously not extreme enough!

You’ve defo got to lean towards gnarl-core-j-style to get full travel on firm pikes

devs
    Free Member

Ah, that’s my problem – I have no style of any variety. I do clumsy 3-4 ft drops though. Sometimes I even look like I meant it. The forks hold out fine.

grumm
    Free Member

I’m 14 stone ish and a firm still feels too soft. Even without drops or jumps I bottom it out fairly regularly.

With the u-turn wound down to 90mm, I can easily bottom the fork by just lifting the front wheel and bouncing it back down.

See there is def something vastly different between your forks and mine. Hmm

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘anyone bought a firmer spring for a pike ?’ is closed to new replies.