Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • anyone bought a car from a auction?
  • richi
    Free Member

been looking at buying a new car, seen one i like the look of but its at a auction, are cars that much cheaper at a auction and is there anything i need to know?
    i realise there is a fee you have to pay but anything else

craigxxl
    Free Member

Bought a few. Yes, can be a lot a cheaper but you need to know what your looking at too. If you don’t know take someone who does. Take into account the auctioneers commission as they can bump the price up too.

stevemtb
    Free Member

Yep. It broke down under a mile from the auction house!

Looking for a seriously cheap car, never looked at the one I bought as I thought it out of budget, went through cheap as chips so I bid. It had been a taxi, mega mileage Laguna with a knackered gearbox, radiator and a load of other things.

My mate bought a £20 metro, we never saw him bid and were laughing that anyone would even consider buying that – I ended up towing that on the trip home!

Seriously watch out for auction fever take a mate with a sensible head and make sure you listen to them if they say you’re being daft. Don’t be afraid to walk away empty handed. And there are good cars available there as well as right dogs!

ruffride
    Free Member

Be carefull as you can’t test drive u can pop bonnet look for mixing if you do go for cars from fleet company’s as they will have been serviced as they should lots of lex cars go through avoid garage part chop cars as most people part x old cars as there done an easiest wAy to sell it will say in book that u have to buy what’s what so if u like something find it in lot 1st an walk round it then do checks when the bloke lines it up best to go first time get a feel for what goes on see what all the sharks do. Last time I went though they were getting near private money so not as much of a good deal like it used to be

daveh
    Free Member

You can glean a bit from the auction paperwork, where it’s come from, verified mileage etc. Figure out how the cars are moved through and be there when the ones that you fancy start up, you can ask the driver questions and to boot it etc. Don’t pay too much!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Bought a 3 year old Saab 9-5 years back. 60,000 miles on it, FSH, previously owned by RBS. Paid £7200 for it but forecourts had them nearer £9,000.

It had a leaky head gasket but Saab stumped up £600 towards the cost of fixing it despite it being out of warranty, just.

Had it for 90,000 miles after that, no issues really.

Loved that car, especially the cup holder.

Not sure I’d buy anything much older.

Most forecourt stock comes from auction so you’re only taking a slight risk really, or go to a garage and pay significantly more for them to take the risk.

easygirl

Bought a few cars from auction, 6 months old to €100 bangers
    Be careful with older ones
    If you go on British car auction site and sign up, you can look at all,cars on line now
    Go for a day and don’t buy anything to get he feel of it, the auctioneers talk very quick and it takes a while to get used to the lingo
    You can get big engined bmw and mercs for peanuts, real bargains, I’ve been seriously tempted on a few occasions 🙂

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

My neighbour buys a car from the auction about every 6 months. He tends to buy 2-3 year old cars with high mileage. I.e. motorway cruisers. He’s never had a problem. Auctions tend to be dealers selling to dealers. Therefore they seem to be more honest about what’s wrong with the car.

Ex-fleet cars seem to be good value – high mileage but had all the servicing. Never buy an ex-hire car. Especially if I’ve driven it!

I plan to get my next car from auction.

maccruiskeen

the auctioneers talk very quick and it takes a while to get used to the lingo

They speak the same way ruff ride types 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘anyone bought a car from a auction?’ is closed to new replies.