Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone bought a bike bag recently?
  • tomd
    Free Member

I’m looking to get a bike bag for taking the bike on the plane. I’ve always used cardboard bike boxes but I’m travelling more with the bike so want something a bit more durable and easy to get around the airport.

So what have people got recently that’s good and from where? I need it in 10 days so looking for something good plus easy to get hold of.

Milkie
    Free Member

I bought an EVOC bike bag about 3 weeks ago, and used it last week. Bike was very well protected, left the rear mech on, tyres, rotors and all were fine, nothing bent.

A couple of others had the CRC bike bag, and it is a copy of the EVOC, padding isn’t as great and tyres had to be taken off or deflated. For the price they are very good tho! It really depends on how much you are going to use it!

100mphplus
    Free Member

Check out the CRC bag, they’ve ‘pinched’ some of the EVOC ideas in their new design and for £50 it’s a bargain;-

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=68409

Someone on holiday had one and I was V impressed by it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Leku
    Free Member

Just got the CRC ready for my trip to Switchbacks in Spain NEXT WEEK (yipeee).

Really well made. Wheel bags look good. Had a Avenir one from Merlin before but in ended up with a slash on it and not having wheels was a killer.

Dont forget the topcashback for another 3% off.

ibnchris

hello mate,

THink I replied to your other post and that I got a Merlin one which does the job. In fact if you’re London based I’d be happy to lend you mine. I (well my GF) also have a Neil Pryde one which is a bit meatier which you can borrow

Carlos45
    Free Member

I too bought an Evoc a couple of months ago. Flew BA. No damage at all.

Its pretty to get your bike in and out and plenty of storage too. All you need is to remove pedals, handlebars and wheels. Didnt need to remove the reverb – just dropped it to its lowest setting. Rotors seemed a little exposed but no damage on this trip.

tomd
    Free Member

Cheers guys, so it sounds like the EVOC one if I’m feeling flush or the CRC one as a value but decent alterantive.

Thanks for the offer to borrow one, I’m based in Scotlandshire and I think I’ll use it enough to justify buying one.

FuzzyWuzzy

What happened to the EVOC copy CRC had (the one linked to is just the naff old-style one without wheels)?
    I have an EVOC myself and can highly recommend it, although if the CRC clone one was still available it was about 1/3 of the price.

Milkie
    Free Member

I was thinking the same FuzzyWuzzy, I cannot find the CRC bike bag I was referring too, which is a copy of the EVOC.

geoffj

What happened to the EVOC copy CRC had (the one linked to is just the naff old-style one without wheels)?

Looks like they’ve stopped selling it – I got one, but I’ve yet to use it.

Northwind

The thing to watch with the Evoc bag is that it’s heavy in itself, so you need to watch who you fly with. Jet2 had a 20kg limit when we flew with them, and if 8.6kg of that’s taken up with the bag then you’re likely to burst it. (though, in the end, they didn’t weigh our bags! Grr)

I can’t remember who made mine but it’s a pretty standard thing, sliders along the bottom, wheels at one end, straps all over, big zip. But is exactly the same size inside as a Specialized bike box, so I stuck one of those in it for armouring. Seems to work, and also makes the bag easy to maneuvre as it’s not flopping around everywhere.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone bought a bike bag recently?’ is closed to new replies.