Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone bike-packing this winter?
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

yout*be algorithm made me smile tonight.

Nice little video of bloke in UK grabbing a night in the woods with an old Kona and a cheeky little stove. May even be an stwr 👍🏼

I very much like the look of that stove.

Poopscoop

Now that is my sort of yt video. Nice find.👍

schmiken

Those forks are buggered.

kayak23

Pleasant little watch. That would look very different had it been wanging it down. Difficult to get the fire going I imagine.

Agree on the forks 😅

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Those forks are ‘resting’ 🤣

jaminb
    Free Member

https://seekoutside.com/titanium-wood-stoves/

Given the price of the stoves – a fork service can be excused! looks toasty though

scotroutes

Winter? It’s all green in that video!  He’d have half frozen to death dealing with all that faff if it was actually winter. 😉

Nice video though. I wish I had the patience and skill to try my own.

Trimix
    Free Member

It warmed up due to Global Warming, winter is now not what it used to be.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Winter? It’s all green in that video! He’d have half frozen to death dealing with all that faff if it was actually winter. 😉

Looks exactly the same on the vid as it does up here in the hills. Green grass covered with dead leaves, bare trees, with moss, ivy and holly showing. Pretty much the same picture here in Worcs on NYE. It wasn’t snowing and it was mild. OTOH, I’ve (UK) camped in February with frosts, damp and cold winds, and it can get bloody cold unless you are ‘dealing with all the faff’ in order to keep warm. ‘Firewood warms you twice’ is true. Nothing worse than doing nothing as your core temp drops.

It is mild out at the minute. But nice to have a little fire in, nonetheless?

OTOH, can anyone remember the last year we had a UK winter that required heating to be on?

scotroutes

Well, it’s 2C outside at the moment but my Winter Solstice bivvy was undertaken in temps around – 4C and it was 2 or 3 degrees colder on the ride home.

I’ll be starting a bivvy-a-month 2020 thread for folk to post into. Let’s see how cold it gets 😊

scotroutes

Oh  – I reckon there’s a few folk with the heating on.

sweepy
    Free Member

I like a camping gadget as much as the next man but I reckon that tent would be like an oven with the stove on unless it was absolutely baltic. And if it was then you’d be freezing when you woke up and it had gone out.
    In general I think I prefer a small tent with a snuggly sleeping bag and a tarp and folding firebowl if its that sort of trip, but i’ve not managed to find a firebowl small and light enough for bikepacking.

drewd

Cheers OP, I enjoyed that.

It did look a tad warm, but it was an impressive setup. Almost bike glamping, if there is such a thing.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve seen a few of his videos – mostly bushcraft based stuff. Never seems to take pegs for his tarp but will “craft” some every time, usually he heads out in his SUV so no lack of space – he’ll be whittling spoons next.

Edit: that stove is €370 and the flue is anywhere from €80 to €210

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anyone bike-packing this winter?’ is closed to new replies.