Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone been to Tunisia on holiday?
  • oldfart

In a effort to get better VFM we are looking away from the Eurozone.Started reading a few reviews.Apparently stomach problems from the food is quite probable.Been looking at the Imperial Marhaba in Port el Kantaoui for November.Any experiences?to share good or bad.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yeah, Hundreds of times.

– My mums family live there..

Drop me a line if you want..

Flaperon

Yep, my brother used to work out there. Only been to Tunis and the Carthage area, though.

I stayed near a small town called Marsa. If you need your hand holding when you’re on holiday it’s probably not for you since very little English is spoken. You can (just) get by in French, and I learnt the Arabic equivalent of “Bugger off” for the street vendors.

I don’t think you’d want to go for longer than a week. Temp was about 30C in September when I went but started dropping rapidly. In fact the drop in sea temperature was noticeable over the course of 7 days.

Definitely off the Eurozone, definitely not on the beaten track but great fun. Driving is erratic but not particularly dangerous. Food is VERY nice, since any seafood is fresh and there’s a lot of Italian influence.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nasher
    Free Member

My GF and my friends said they woul never go there again, even if it was all free with spending money thrown in.

They got fed up of being pestered all the time, crap food…crap everything.

However if you are the type who wants to experience “culture” then you may be OK but otherwise avoid!!

As for the sterling V Euro….everyone here in Italy is suffering as bad as the british at the mo and The CEB is about to drop its interest rates, so expect the Sterling to creep back up to 1.25/3.0 by summer time.

Also the sterling is undervalued at the mo

tourist rates is now up to 1.09 and the median rate is 1.13

Last week it was at 1.02 and 1.06 respectively

coolhandluke
    Free Member

We’ve been to the Marhaba Beach twice few years back. No stomach problems on both occasions.

People are nice but it can get a bit much if you’re not a haggler or find yourself being pestered by people in the market trying to sell stuff. Its hard to be rude but usually a firm NO works.

We found that we got “ripped” off for coffee in Sousse as the locals paid a couple of Dinars lass but as it was only 3Dinars we weren’t upset in the slightest, in fact, we didn’t blame them.

Port El Kantaoui is nice but I felt it might get a bit boring? There is a water park that way though and we had a great day there.

Its cheap, hot and not at all bad. We chose Sousse because in all the trip advisor reviews we read, there was one complaining that “there was only one English type pub” Brilliant we thought. If we wanted to drink Fosters in an English type pub, we’d go to a pub in England.

The beaches are nice round there and felt safe to us regarding tides and currents and so on.

We never felt at all in any danger walking about apart from when we went to the market in Sousse (not the souke that’s OK) and got really really pestered until I had to be slightly rude to a chap. He did leave us alone after that though.

One nice story we had was that as we were riding on a pony / trap ride thing along the street back from Sousse, my daughters had blew off and we didn’t realise until too late. We did see a taxi stop and a man jump out and get it. Never mind we thought but to our amazement, they caught us up and threw the hat to us as we went along. Very friendly people.

It is a Muslim religion out there but they aren’t into it as much as they are in Iraq. Saying that their religion still needs to be respected and women aren’t expected to be covered up, but not by the beach or pool etc. where it is OK for them to “get them out” 😉

Flaperon

There’s no real issue about covering up for women. Like Turkey, wearing of the burka is banned and I can’t remember a woman even wearing a headscarf. It is a Muslim country, obviously, but it’s not the nasty-style Islam we get here.

DezB
    Free Member

Went there once, never again.
    Being spat at for walking out of a shop without buying anything, the leering unfriendly locals, the blokes hanging around in the hotel bar waiting to slime all over the tourist ladeez. Yeuch. No food problems though.

However, my mum used to go to an island (can’t remember the name, sorry) off Tunisia and said the locals were really friendly. She used to go (with her then hubby) every year.

I only go to cold places these days anyway 🙂

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Port el Kantoui – Okay if you are happy to stay in the hotel and sit by the pool. Outside of that there is very little. The locals are not great fans of the tourists.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Forgot to say, the Tunisian (arab looking) stamp in your passport makes customs in America more interested in you.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

WCA, I’ve been in and out of the US with a Tunisian stamp with not an iota of trouble!

Whatever you do, go to El Jem (spl?), it’s an utterly amazing amphitheatre in the desert,

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been to Tunisia on holiday?’ is closed to new replies.