Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone been to the TT? Planning to go next year… What to know?
  • gravitysucks
    Free Member

Hey guys,
    Just getting into biking and would live to go to the TT next year. I’m led to believe that accommodation and ferries fill up quick so wanting to get a heads up.

So what are your top tips? How long to go for? Where to stay? Accommodation type? Couple of friends or bit group?

Pics to get me giddy won’t do any harm either

Dickyboy

new to biking? enjoy the ride up there, park the bike get bladdered all week, recover & ride home – alternatively ride up there, get up early rag it round the mountain for a few hours, drink orange juice watch the racing, rag it round the mountain some more – these are the only two options available any attempt to create a compromise will end in doom

bensales
    Free Member

Book an actual seat on the ferry.

Book accommodation a couple of years in advance.

Don’t ride like a tit. Manx police are very enlightened in the no speed limit areas, but take no prisoners where there is a limit.

Don’t really expect to be able to ‘get’ most of the races. Find a decent spot to spectate, but then watch the highlights on TV that evening.

Avoid Douglas Prom on an evening unless you like mixing with upside-downy heads or idiots.

porter_jamie

it’s something you must do once in your life.

i recommend sulby crossroads because it’s one of the fastest parts on the track, and theres a nice pub. (on the outside of the circuit so you can get away whenever you like, park at/near the pub – great fryups and burgers btw) the impression of speed is immense. i went in 2007 and they were coming past at 202mph on the radar, about literally 16 feet away, the other side of a ‘safety rope’.

you can’t quite comprehend what you have just seen.

hilberry is a good place too.

other things you must do is try the local beer because it doesnt give you a hang over, and also the icrecream. go on the steam train, and also go up the mountain on the tram thing. its the original 1900 one made from wood. the electric tram from douglas to ramsey is pretty impressive as it goes on the top of the cliffs in parts, and there’s a ‘safety chain’ to stop you falling to your death.

there is also a nice cafe on the southern bit near the calf of man and you might see some seals or a whale.

iomnigel
    Free Member

Great ideas 🙂 If you want to go in 2014, book ferry NOW. Book accomodation NOW. Depending on budget and your long term weather forecast – tents / camp sites are doable or B&B up to 4 or 5 star hotels.

http://www.inglewoodhotel-isleofman.com/ is great (dont own, work there, but do know the owners)

Take a van with your mates, get bikes (all varieties) in the van. 1 or 2 in the van, rest as foot passengers. Cheaper than bikes separately normally.

Check out OS95 for routes, or http://www.manxmtb.com.

Nigel

amplebrew

Definitely need to get the ferry and accommodation booked, as most folks that come over are repeat visitors who book their trip 12 months prior.

If you struggle to get a hotel, B&B or homestay accommodation; then bring over a tent and camp. A few of the good ones are Glenlough, Glen Wyllin and Peel.

The 1st week is practice week which means that the roads are open all day and then they close in the evening for a few hours practice. You won’t get to see the actual races but it will be quieter and give you more chance to ride around.

The 2nd week is race week which means that the course will be closed for the races on the Monday, Wednesday and Friday. (Unless they need to use a provisional day due to bad weather) You will obviously get to see the races though and the Island is busier with a better atmosphere.

When you’re out and about on your bike make sure you ride within your own limits and don’t get encouraged to ride quicker than you’re happy with. No matter how fast you are on a bike, there is always someone faster or someone prepared to take a risk. The roads are really great to ride on but do not give any room for error. There are plenty of stone walls, hidden junctions, tracks and the rest of the population are out and about doing normal day to day stuff.

It’s definitely a great event to come and see and the numbers have increased over the last few years; no doubt partly due to the excellent coverage on ITV4.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Cheers for all the info guys, looks like I’ll be looking at ferries and hotels tomorrow!!!

Rich_s

I’ve managed to get there in practice week – it’s still bonkers but possible to get hotels and flights much later. Only had time to watch bits around Governor’s, the finishing straight and the top of Bray Hill in one evening (on foot).

Just utterly amazing. Would love to get out into the boonies to watch next time.

Everybody’s very helpful – asked a policeman how to get from the grandstand to Bray and was given a description including “head to the right, across the field, then climb over the church wall…”
    “Really?”
    “Yeah, it’s fine. Everybody does it. They sell refreshments in the church hall too, etc”.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Spent a week on holiday with a magistrate from over there.
    BEHAVE is the best advice 🙂 they can and will remove your license from you.
    There is also some great mountain biking but I reckon you will struggle to get to it when the TT is on.

samuri
    Free Member

Here’s my advice from two trips there.

Don’t take drugs
    ‘Lets sleep in the ferry port’ is a very old idea, lots of people will beat you to that one
    ‘Lets take loads of beer to save money’ is also a terrible idea.
    The crossing can get very, very, very, very rough. And no, it’s not funny when a guy in a wheelchair skids down the middle of the foyer
    during one of the ships more vigorous lurches.
    A grown man can very quickly fill an Isle of man ferry toilet sink with puke.
    Usually plenty of room up at the crossroads just above Douglas, we were stood next to the safety rope both times….ummm, did a bike just go past?
    Think you’re fast? Nope, you’re not. Up in the hills you will find out how slow on a bike you are.
    Isle of Man police are quite serious people during TT week.
    Motorcyclists who’ve been drinking, on the whole, are inclined to resolve disputes with their fists, don’t get in any arguments.

Hope this helps.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I go every year and can say that it does become addictive. I intended to go a couple of times about 11 years ago but then wanted to view from as many points around the mountain as possible.

My only real advice is that although the police are very friendly and helpful they are very much on the hunt during a week where the prey is easy to come by so be careful, but don’t let that put you off giving the mountain a go yourself. If you think you’re fast and are, then it will be joy to ride. If you’re slow and lacking in confidence then it can be a very intimidating place.

RustySpanner

Avoid Dumpy’s Rusty Nuts – go and see Suzi Quattro instead.

Don’t steal a horse tram whilst pissed – the (excellent, friendly but very professional) Police Force have seen it all before.

The social side is great – custom show, Ramsey Sprint all worth a pop.

Avoid Mad Sunday unless you’re confident and happy beeing passed very closely down the Cregg by idiots.

Take sun cream and waterproofs.

Take a little radio so you can listen to the commentary wherever you are on the course.

The Germans do have an excellent sense of humour.
    But whistling the Dambusters theme everytime you walk past one is a bit sad.

Don’t go drinking with sidecar racers.

Get fully comp insurance.

If you’re taking a camera, practice on friends or at other races.

RustySpanner

Oh, don’t forget to say hello to the fairies.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

It is indeed something you have to experience at least once but, if you don’t manage to get organised in time, then try the Manx Grand Prix in September which is a bit less frenetic but with just as good racing (and, indeed, some “proper” racing motorcycles with its Classic racing).

I’ve been to both a few times and could never have imagined going without a motorcycle but the last Manx trip two of us took the car and the mountainbikes and it worked well. Alas the “uplift” to the Bungalow is the only public transport that does not take bikes but we rode the tracks instead then enjoyed a cracking descent.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been to the TT? Planning to go next year… What to know?’ is closed to new replies.