Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone been to Grizedale recently?
  • gdm4

Going for first time this weekend and wondered if what you guys thought about it?

martinhutch

North Face Grizedale, or bridleways and natural routes?

geetee1972
    Free Member

It’s my opinion, and that of many on here and in particular those who live and ride in the lakes, that the Grizedale and the surrounding areas have the finest riding on offer in the Lakes if not the UK.

That is to say, where finest is determined only by the trails themselves and not the scenery, position or sheer ‘out there’ feel to it.

That riding is not on the North Face trail; it encompasses the myriad of bridleways and metaled roads that crisscross mostly in an east/west direction, on the hills between Coniston and Windermere (so this includes Claiffe Heights.)

Do a search on here and you’ll find plenty of examples but here is one, which the nice chaps in Bike Treks Ambleside helped me map out, that is an absolute blinder:

47km around Grizedale and Claiffe Heights

This was a big circular ride but you could just as easily take the ride back into Grizedale after you’ve dropped down to Esthwaite Water.

There are two or three of the ten best descents in the lakes in this ride as well so you need to be following the same direction in order to enjoy them.

philfive
    Free Member

Be aware there is a race on this Sunday so lots of the trails may be closed.

The north face is pish.

heihei

Also worth noting they are suffering from Ash Dieback so part of the forest is shut including the new black section.

brokenbanjo

Not ash dieback, you scaremongering twonk. 😉 It’s Phytophthora ramorum in the larches there. Like pretty much every other larch stand in the Lakes at the minute.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Just had a wonderful 2 1/2 days riding in Grizedale at Easter and it was some of the best riding I’ve ever done. Didn’t ride any of the NF trail apart from the initial ST climb. All three rides we got out of the Vertebrate Publishing book. Can’t wait to go back.

heihei

Not ash dieback, you scaremongering twonk. It’s Phytophthora ramorum in the larches there.

Whatever – still means a chunk of it is shut!

mcnultycop

I was planning on heading up on Saturday; race diversions shouldn’t have any impact on Saturday morning, should they?

Riding bridleways (route from a book I fancy trying), but may look at TNF if I get time.

philfive
    Free Member

just to settle an argument, the forestry work has finished and this is STW not gardeners weekly who cares what is up with the trees.

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

Grizedale is one of my favourite places to ride! Loads of fun to be had around there. Can link up loads of great descents in a short space of time really.
    The Fox is well worth a hammering down, and a push back up. Lawsons Park, Breasty Haw, Purple, Hole in the wall… All great fun! Enjoy 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been to Grizedale recently?’ is closed to new replies.