Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • anyone been to east Dartmoor in the last day or two..?
  • yunki
    Free Member

is it drying out yet..?

ontor
    Free Member

yes and sort-of

yunki
    Free Member

that sounds positive… no rivers of blood and lakes of fire…?

ontor
    Free Member

well, it’s ok but we need a few good frosts to sort out trails like the houndtor traverse.

yunki
    Free Member

I’m just looking at getting some miles in tomorrow by any means necessary..

I’d probably go to Haldon but I’ve not got the car.. Do you happen to know what Hameldown and Grimspound are like..?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I rode Burrator loop (not E Dartmoor I know) this morning and it’s cut up pretty badly along the top route out from Princetown – much worse than just before Christmas. Walked at Belstone this afternoon and there was a lot of surface water just running off the moor – I reckon Hameldown won’t be too bad but Grimspound will be swimming – although it always seems to hold up OK there.

Si
    Free Member

Load of us riding tomorrow dude. 11 at Hector car park or 930 at Parke with us as I’m gonna ride up to meet them. Come join the fun….

yunki
    Free Member

oooh, crikey.. maybe I better had..

I don’t think that I can quite get away early enough for 9.30 but I could try to make the 11 rendezvous..

I’m a bit baffled as to where Hector is though.. 😕
    Is that the dogging code for a more commonly known location..?

OCB
    Free Member

I drove from Ashburton to Bovey via Haytor (B3387) on Friday morning, and got out for a [very] quick walk. The ground on the top was completely sodden, all of the ruts were full of water, and the ground did that squelchy/spongy thing it does up there when it’s saturated.

Eastern facing slopes might have fared better tho’ as they’ll have had a bit more shelter, and gravity might have helped with run-off? Haytor is pretty peaty too’, so it’ll tend to hold more water than some spots on the moor.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Walked up Grimspound yesterday. Still really wet. Chose to do the Princetown / Burrator loop today which was OK apart from the usual muddy bit up around South Hessary tor. I reckon places like Lustleigh must still be pretty sodden? Would be interested in reports.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Edit: double post..

yunki
    Free Member

no report yet I’m afraid, too hungry.. I might be able to string together some useful info after dinner..

dingly dell was a bit of a midden.. it looked to me like a gang of ruddy hoodlums had been riding bicycles through there.. preposterous..!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘anyone been to east Dartmoor in the last day or two..?’ is closed to new replies.