Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Anyone been to Borneo? Backpacking tips?
  • DrJ

A friend is planning to go to Borneo on a backpacking trip. I’m wondering if anyone has advice on what to see and also what to beware of as a solo female?  Are there risks beyond having your ear talked off by one of chewy’s relatives?

professor_fate
    Free Member

Backpacked there back in 04, so things have probably changed a bit since then…and as a solo bloke a different set of security parameters i suspect.

Sepilok for the Orangutan reserve – lovely place and a great experience

Mt Kinabalu – a strenuous trek to summit with an overnight at the lodge. A guide was obligatory but good value for the almost otherworldly location

Niah caves – the original Bat Cave. As the bats exit at dusk you are returning to the accommodation in the dark (not far) so a guide might be advisable, although the path was clearly marked. A proper jungle experience with the most impressive moths and bugs i’ve ever seen!

Kuching – a cracking little city with stunning old colonial architecture and temples

I had plenty of time to take it all in but Borneo (or more accurately Malaysian Sabah/Sarawak where i was primarily) is huge so flying around is a real option. Didn’t have or hear about any negative travellers experiences whilst there so would certainly recommend it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been to Borneo? Backpacking tips?’ is closed to new replies.