Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Anyone been to Beamish?
  • Harry_the_Spider

Is it any good?

Wife wants to go for a day out but it is 130+ miles away, so it had better be pretty chuffing awesome.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Not this Beamish? oh.

Tracey

We had a great time but was passing it on the way back from Scotland.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Harry_the_Spider

Not this Beamish? oh.

Ireland is nearer.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ireland is nearer.

🙂

I reckon the museum would be cheaper though.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I saw a restoration programme the other night where they rebuilt an coal fired old fish and chip shop. Its got to be worth it just for that.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I have, and it was great, but that was nearly 30 years ago. I reckon your kids will like it.

Harry_the_Spider

[tangent]after 4 days of stout based drinking at a wedding in Ireland one of my friends described his prolonged morning ablutions as “crapping 6 black wig-wams of death.[/tangent] 😯

…right then, back to my OP.

I reckon your kids will like it.

Not taking the kids. Me and the missus like our history. If we took the kids we would spend half the day in a swing park and the other half watching my daughter eating her lunch an atom at a time.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

…right then, back to my OP.

Yes, the porter shit.

Anyway…

atlaz
    Free Member

I enjoyed it when I was 15 or 16 (so more than half a lifetime ago). Went with my parents and grandparents, and the grandparents in particular said it felt quite accurate to them. Not been in 20 years so it may be better or worse 😉

geoffj

I took the family in November. It is a good day out. Play on the trams, buy some old sweets and wander around old buildings. The mine is supposed to be good, but it was closed when we went.
    I’d say it probably is worth a 130 mile trip.

theteaboy
    Free Member

The sweet shop alone is worth the trip!

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve been a couple of times with my kids and it’s definitely a good day out. If everything is open then it should be a full day out as well.

user-removed
    Free Member

Hmmm, don’t know about a 130 mile trip… It is interesting, and as has been mentioned, the mine is good – it’s guided and the guide knows his stuff. I do think it’s aimed mainly at kids though to be completely honest. That said, it’s always an entertaining day out – we had a season pass for a while because it was almost as cheap as day tickets!

Swelper
    Free Member

Beamish Oddsox

Opportunity for a shameless plug me thinks

antigee

been a couple of time with kids – once passing and again because as said above an annual ticket pretty much same price as one off

impossible to see everything in a day and both times we’ve spent the full day there – to be honest much better than i’d expected and the kids / granny loved it – glad to see the fish and chip shop open as food options are limited if its busy – consider taking a picnic – well worthwhile

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Yo can visit my Uncles house – they took it apart brick by brick and rebuilt it at Beamish!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Is 40DD trying to derail another thread.

Honestly… I don’t know why the mods put up with him.

Harry_the_Spider

You can visit my Uncles house – they took it apart brick by brick and rebuilt it at Beamish!

You could visit my Great Great Aunts, they did the same thing with her shop at Salford Art Gallery.

tracknicko
    Free Member

there’s a coal fired chippy in lincolnshire.

martinhutch

Beamish is very cool. You could easily combine it with a blat around Hamsterley.

withersea
    Free Member

Great day out, loads to do, put some comfortable walking shoes on as sometimes the trams and buses get very busy. Highlight for me was the mine, real eye opener into what life was like in the pits.

daleftw
    Free Member

the teaboy – Member
    The sweet shop alone is worth the trip!

This man speaketh the truth.

If you’re into that sort of thing, definitely worth a go even at 130+miles. Give them a ring before you head there, see if anythings closed/any special days on.

Harry_the_Spider

Beamish was brilliant. It was like West World but without all of the nasty business with the killer robots.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Beamish is very cool. You could easily combine it with a blat around Beamish Woods

I live about 5 miles from Beamish, my Grandad built most of the perimeter fence, my other Grandad was a Bevin boy in a very similar mine.

I’ve never been though. Dad alaway promised we’d go for free on classic car day, and we never had classic cars in the spring, doh.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I loved it, few years ago, but then I love mechanical stuff (they had steam trains/cranes/engines & trams) and also I love photography.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

my dog is called beamish. what is this place you talk of and do they let dogs in ?

grtdkad

Go. No question.

While youre up in that neck of the woods check out the Killhope Lead mines.

Raouligan
    Free Member

Beamish is great the hall is well worth the look, if you’re in the area, there’s lots of exciting history stuff.

Durham Cathedral
    Escomb Saxon Church
    Killhope Wheel
    Hadrians Wall
    National Railway Museum (Shildon Branch)
    Railway Museum Darlington
    Baltic Art Gallery

So lots if Beamish doesn’t fill your day!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been to Beamish?’ is closed to new replies.