Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone been to Barbados on a holiday?
  • Premier Icon esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Mrs EFG has just come into money & because of the song, ‘Barbados’ by Typically Tropical, she wants to go.
    (She doesn’t realise that Coconut Airways aren’t real mind.)
    Anyway, is it worth looking into or is it a place better seen a postcard?
    We’re 66 by the way & not into all the water sport stuff (no fnarring at the back please)
    I’d rather go to Club Tropicana, cos the drinks are free but hey ho, it’s her money.

Premier Icon nickjb
    Free Member

Depends what you want from the holiday. Its a lovely place but that is true of most Caribbean islands. It would be pretty low on my list as there so many other islands that are nicer as Barbados is one of the most populated. Don’t get wrong, if I was offered a free holiday there I’d happily take it, but for my money I’d go to another island.

Premier Icon intheborders
    Free Member

We went 3 times in the mid-2000’s.

Really nice and really safe (day & night) and you can pretty much go onto any beach.

The people were lovely and we had zero negative experiences, which is why we went 3 times.

Premier Icon Kryton57

A regular here due to having extended family in Barbados. a beautiful island and small enough to experience pretty much everything over a couple of weeks. Very friendly and welcoming people, stunning Beaches and clear waters.

All islands have thier differences – St Lucia is much wetter for example – and all Caribbean have their beauty – Barbados is small and roads can get busy at peak times, but not as busy as a Commute in London for example and of course, everything happens 5 x slower than the UK (which is a good thing).

Barbados does tend to trade on more local produce than some of the other islands, but does have big commercial centres in the main towns. Go with Virgin and stump up for the Beach checkout if you can for a better travel experience – I’d go again in a heartbeat but like everything prices are up these days.

I’d be happy to answer any questions.

Premier Icon esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

@kryton thank you, we’ll see what transpires but a Caribbean jaunt is on the cards I think.
    I’d love to go to Miami too so it may be an idea to combine the two.

Premier Icon bails

We went at the start of May. Stayed at the O2 Beach Club near Dover beach. The hotel, especially the staff, was fantastic. Attentive without being overbearing or stuffy, everything was spotlessly clean, the food and drink was great. All inclusive really did mean ‘all’…10am rum punch on the beach? Why not, you’re on holiday! It was right on the beach plus you could walk up to Dover beach itself, either by road or by wading (ankle deep) around through the sea at low tide. There were turtles galore off ‘our’ beach.

We went on Cool Runnings catamaran snorkeling trip (more turtles), went to the mount gay rum visitor centre and took a taxi to Welchman hall gully for a change of scenery.

We were both knackered from a long few years at work so didn’t really leave the hotel apart from that, but there were bars and restaurants about.

St James is the posher bit of the island I think, but there was no issue if we did wander about.

A trip to Miami and then a chilllout in Barbados afterwards would be a good combination I think.

The only thing I wasn’t impressed with was Virgin. The plane felt very cramped, my seat didn’t recline and the food was awful. But the last long flight I was on was a long time ago and was an Emirates A380 so it’s a tough act to follow.

Premier Icon zippykona

I like st Lucia. The drive from the airport along the rugged close,then over the mountain really makes you feel like you are on a proper holiday.
    Barbados ,you just drive past shops.

The food is just absolutely amazing in the Caribbean.
    We found the water a bit choppy in Barbados for snorkeling.
    Always found this sign amusing .
    null

Premier Icon zippykona

Also with Barbados you won’t get hassled on the beach.

Premier Icon IHN

Can’t help specifically about Barbados, but flights-wise, when we flew to Miami and then on to Belize we flew with American Airlines, and they were really good. Modern planes, decent food, comfortable even in cattle class, good selection of films etc, we were really pleasantly surprised.

Premier Icon Kryton57

The only thing I wasn’t impressed with was Virgin. The plane felt very cramped, my seat didn’t recline and the food was awful.

It’s even more expensive now than it was, but Premium economy fix pets that.

We found the water a bit choppy in Barbados for snorkeling.

that’s the west coast, the east coast is where the Sandy beaches and blue waters are at.

Barbados ,you just drive past shops.

Depends on the route, I’d wager you went through St Lawrence Gap or Bridgetown, the touristy bit and the Capital respectively. Plenty of other roads in Barbados, I can recommend the Land (Jeep) and Sea (Catermeran) day trip for a proper outing with Locals.

Premier Icon RichBowman

I thought it was the other way around – East Coast (Atlantic side) was choppier than the West Coast (Carribean side)? That’s what I remember from going to Bethesba/The Roundhouse.

Really loved it there – we’ve been twice and when the girls are a little bit older, would love to take them there as well.

Premier Icon DrP

All inclusive really did mean ‘all’…10am rum punch on the beach? Why not,

What – you’re not sat at your work desk with a Mai Tai right now?!
    meh… rookie error…

DrP

Premier Icon Kryton57

I thought it was the other way around

Of course it is, I’ve lost the Internet today 🙁

Premier Icon cheekyget
    Free Member

I went way back in 2001 for my GF birthday (now my wife) …and it’s was a really good holiday , we stayed at escape at the gap ( I think it’s st Lawrence gap) ..but we did get bothered from the moment we stepped on the beach….not loads….just a couple times a day….the hotel we stayed at was good, food amazing…and if you can do the catamaran cruise around the island to go snorkeling and see the flying fish….so chilled drinking beers n cocktails on a boat cruising around with reggae music playing.
    My only little niggle was ..I had already had a carribean holiday before Barbados..we went to cancun, now the hotels there are really flash and modern….so don’t expect that in Barbados…unless you at the posh part…
    But it’s was a good holiday…you’ll love it

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.