Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone been the victim of credit card fraud attempts recently?
  • pedalhead
    Free Member

Just wondering. I’m not going to crap on the retailer by naming as it *could* be coincidence, but after not using a card for months, I bought something yesterday from a big online bike shop & hey presto, three attempted payments to Dell & some perfume place were made later in the day. I’ve informed the retailer about it of course. I usually pay via Paypal but this was a rare occasion when I didn’t.

bikebouy
    Free Member

No not recently and not to an online bike shop but got scammed by my local petrol station a few years back. Cheeky Monkeys, good job it was my expenses card, took ages to sort it though.

windowshopper
    Free Member

Not recently but I had a very bad experience a few years ago. I reported a transaction that clearly was not mine and was told by the credit card company that it was a “chip and pin” transaction and therefore must be valid. Knowing it wasn’t, and by now knowing the address for the fraudulent transaction was in Scotland, I asked the credit card company for a list of places I used my card “in person” on said date, knowing full well I couldn’t be in both a Glasgow suburb and a Cheshire town within an hour of each other. They then quietly dropped the whole thing.

donsimon
    Free Member

No not recently and not to an online bike shop but got scammed by my local petrol station a few years back.

I believe that was an old favourite back in the days of the paper slip too. They’d simply put in two copies before swiping and signing giving them one open copy to do as they wanted.
    The little tinkers.

onehundredthidiot

Yep thrice this year. Once after using a large online cycle retailer, once in a shell garage and once on a card that had never been used in fact was still in the envelope in a drawer in my living room.

The last one was amusing as a payment went through as i was on the phone to them.

Me: Nope never used that card
    Them: Ah, don’t suppose you’ve just bought 8 dollars worth of fuel in New York? Didn’t think. Invesigation underway.

chewkw
    Free Member

If the site is still breached and not fixed then avoid by all means as they have no clue on security. The few quids that you save you might as well spend it somewhere else to avoid all those hassle. I wouldn’t touch them with bargepole …

roper
    Free Member

We were done last week. Funnily enough they bought a del PC and some vouchers.
    pedalhead can you tell me which bike retailer it was? I need to make an order and don’t want to have to go through the whole thing again. I would rather play safe.

soobalias
    Free Member

from last time roper, advise you use paypal.

boblo
    Free Member

Wife’s card today. Transaction in high street chemist chain followed 2 hrs later by an atempted fraud in the USA. Card company spotted it and cancelled the card.

Cougar

can you tell me which bike retailer it was?

CRC would be my guess. They had what I believe was a rogue employee a few months back, far as I know they’ve sorted it out now.

hora
    Free Member

Well its either or Wiggle. Wiggle had two spells didn’t they with loads of people complaining on here.

busydog
    Free Member

Mrs Busydog’s Debit card suddenly had a charge show up from China a month ago.
    I alerted the bank and they immediately closed the card account. Happened about 5 years ago, but the charges were local. Most likely the account info was ripped of by someone when the card was used, i.e. a restaurant, store, etc. It really is a pain to have to go through the new card process, especially if is a card used by several companies for automatic/recurring payments.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Had a card cloned recently. Cant really put it to any transaction really, some times they sit on cloned cards a while so as not to draw suspicion.

onehundredthidiot

My new York one was spotted because. The thief went for the signing option. Apparently this is so rare now they check each one.

ask1974
    Free Member

Not recently but a few years ago I got stung to the tune of £2k after buying fuel at a major supplier. Bank rang with the news instantly but got my cash back in no time. Pretty easy to prove I hadn’t been in Srilanka the day before! Bought my wife’s Christmas present over the phone the other day and had the transaction refused, then got a call from the bank yesterday to check my last purchases… Nice to see them being cautious even if the odd purchase is problematic.

Dark-Side

My new York one was spotted because. The thief went for the signing option. Apparently this is so rare now they check each one.

Strange they viewed as suspicious, the ask you to sign a slip regularly still in the USA.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been the victim of credit card fraud attempts recently?’ is closed to new replies.