Anyone been cycle touring in Finland?

Home Forum Bike Forum Anyone been cycle touring in Finland?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Anyone been cycle touring in Finland?
  • Premier Icon ibnchris
    Subscriber

Am thinking of doing a trip down the length of Finland in the summer. Anyone been there and got any tips?

I’ve thought a lot about doing the same myself. I’ll join you in awaiting the replies.

Premier Icon brassneck
    Subscriber

Not toured there, but worked there (Turku) briefly and have a Finnish friend who could probably answer most q’s, and resident colleagues who could answer others.. don’t think any of them a cyclists per se though – drop us a mail if there’s anything specific you can think of

shedbrewed

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rwc3VGvlRY[/video]

Premier Icon ibnchris
    Subscriber

Nice one. Thanks chaps. Thinking of flying to Nordkapp (or near as possible) then cycling down to St Petersburg as part of a long distance epic to Cape Town that I want to do over a few years

boblo

We did this a couple of years ago. Nordkapp to Helsinki and then on and on. Finland? Straightish roads, lots of trees, good camp sites and about 3 weeks of the same. If you camp, stay in the moki’s (wooden sheds) on the sites. Costs the same as a tent and keeps the mozzies at bay plus somewhere comfy to sit at night. While nice cycling it was a bit errrr, dull.

asterix

It’d be more interesting cycling from Noordkapp down through Norway . Lots of beautiful places and loads of small hutte to rent for the nights as you go

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

Ive cycled from the Turku across the archipelago to Aarland and then a ferry over to Uppsala. Was one of the nicest trips Ive had. Beautiful landscape, wooden shed/bunkhouse camping.

I might even have some photos somewhere…

I think the archipelago is particularly set up for cycle touring with published routes etc.

http://www.archipelagoroute.com/option,com_content/view,category/id,27/Itemid,65/area,1/

http://www.guildtravel.com/groups/island-hopping-by-bike-in-the-finnish-archipelago/

http://www.utracks.com/utca/index.php?section=trips&id=892377

asterix

I agree – the archipelago across to Sweden from Turku is fantastic

Premier Icon ibnchris
    Subscriber

Norway instead of Finland could work…I’d want to avoid anything that involved getting ferries etc as I’m trying to do a full land crossing…

boblo

It’s fine if your destination is the other end of the continent. You’ll just spend 3 weeks getting to Helsinki. If this is the extent of your tour, go somewhere else as there’s a limit to how interesting Douglas Fir can be ….

Premier Icon ibnchris
    Subscriber

I kind of wanted to do it in a week to ten days…

I had sort of been thinking about the London Istanbul race and then thought that rather than spending a fortnight killing myself for a race I’d end up coming last in I might as well kill myself doing a stretch of something I’ve always wanted to do. Nordkapp to Cape Town.

Besides 120 miles a day isn’t that unrealistic if you’re travelling light, or am I massively underestimating the terrain?

boblo

Just checked my records. It was just under 1200 miles Nordkaap to Helsinki and we took 21 days. This was by tandem and fully loaded. Our route resulted in 10k metres of ascent so not massively hilly.

10 days of flat out cycling 120 miles per day? Not my cup of tea. Can’t see the point of doing that in Finland as it’s mainly dull. Paint your lounge green, sit on the turbo and save some money 🙂

Premier Icon mmannerr
    Subscriber

Paint your lounge green, sit on the turbo and save some money

Not a bad idea, you would only need to add a horde of midges and simulation of occasional large trucks passing to make it 99% realistic.
    🙂

Premier Icon HansRey
    Subscriber

i’m living in Helsinki. If you want to cover a lot of ground easily, then Finland is ace. It’s flat and not so windy. It’ll be hard to be distracted from the cycling as you’ll pass through small towns which are featureless clones of each other, ride in unremarkable places and have poor food/drinks. Finns love conformity.

But if you want an adventure and to see something different every day, go to Norway or Sweden.

ps. Åland is brilliant. It’s part of Finland, but Swedish speaking. I’d recommend cycling from the furthest north possible, then heading to Stockholm. Take the Ferry from Stockholm to Mariehemn and cycle to Helsinki.

Premier Icon brassneck
    Subscriber

Ive cycled from the Turku across the archipelago to Aarland and then a ferry over to Uppsala. Was one of the nicest trips Ive had. Beautiful landscape, wooden shed/bunkhouse camping.

I might even have some photos somewhere…

I think the archipelago is particularly set up for cycle touring with published routes etc.

Stoner, got anything published on the webby thing? Only said friend has bought a cross bike with C2W and is keen to go on a bit of trip .. Devon C2C this Spring most likely, but this might be good for a second outing!

alpine girl

There’s a bit of information here: Cycling in Finland
    I used the maps linked to at the bottom for a 10 day tour I did and found them really good.

I enjoyed cycling there – it was my first trip of more than one night and found it easy to get around, I did have the benefit of various relatives to visit though… Scenery is not that variable but I like woods and lakes so that’s me sorted and you can camp almost anywhere legally (similar to Scottish right to roam). If you do go there make sure you try some “karelian pies” – the ultimate cycle touring food in my opinion!

Pigface

Trees trees trees lake trees trees lake trees lake town trees trees trees lake trees lake trees lake trees trees trees lake town trees lake town trees lake trees trees trees. Driving in Finland killed me 😆

Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

A work buddy did. He says the endless pine forests, lakes and fearsome midges nearly drove him insane. He much preferred Norway and Sweden.

asterix

as David Coleman once said, “Welcome to Finland – land of 1000 lakes and almost as many trees”

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

Im afraid not brassneck. It was before blogging was even invented – c. 2001 😉

Mrs S and I seriously considering doing the trip again, this time with our two boys.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been cycle touring in Finland?’ is closed to new replies.