Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anyone become 'handy' with OS Lion?
  • derekrides
    Free Member

I’m having a nightmare with it on my MB Pro, first it insists on reloading everything you might have had up last time you used it wether you close all the programmes or not.

Now I’m getting weird screens that just flash up with loads of programme icons on them, again totally at random.

Also, since Christmas, the cursor/pointer has developed a mind of its own and occasionally shoots across the screen or just slowly creeps.

I’m wondering if it’s a combination of a sticky key doing stuff that maybe it wouldn’t have done with Snow Leopard.

So questions. 1) Any general ideas.
    2) Can you ‘turn off’ stuff like the window reloads at start up and all the other bullshit it now seems loaded with. Can’t seem to find any clues as to how it might be achieved in system preferences.

CaptJon
    Free Member

you can turn off the restore thing which reopens programs

by ‘weird screens’ appearing at random, check your hot corners and if you’re using a track pad which fingers you’ve got on the pad. alternatively are you clicking on ‘stacks’ on the dock?

have a play in system preferences

allthegear
    Free Member

1) “Icons flashing up” are your Applications, probably when you have multiple fingers on the tranckpad – try putting four fingers on and squeezing them closer together – that’s a gesture to access apps. Similarly, four fingers spread wider on the trackpad will display the desktop. You can change the gestures (or disable them) in the “trackpad” preferences pane

2) Windows reopening when you restart the computer is the default behaviour now but it can be switched off in the “general” preferences pane.

It’s all a bit weird to start with but, once you get used to it, it really does work for you…

Rachel

grantway
    Free Member

Is this an updated version on a snow leopard laptop

As when I updated my 2011 Mac Book Pro it did do
    some strange things.
    I taken laptop back to Apple and let one of the Genius
    guys sort it out.
    Apparently common just needs some tweaking

Jamie
    Free Member

Now I’m getting weird screens that just flash up with loads of programme icons on them, again totally at random.

You’re triggering launchpad.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWAZhiPInfM[/video]

Check what shortcut is assigned to launch it in System Preferences > Mission Control > Hot Corners button to see if that is launching it.

You can also see what, if any, keyboard shortcut is currently assigned to launching launchpad in System Preferences > Keyboard:

I’m having a nightmare with it on my MB Pro, first it insists on reloading everything you might have had up last time you used it wether you close all the programmes or not.

Uncheck the following in System Preferences > General:

Also, since Christmas, the cursor/pointer has developed a mind of its own and occasionally shoots across the screen or just slowly creeps.

Ghosts…or it’s something to do with an acceleration setting. Without knowing what input device and/or MB Pro model you have, it’s hard to say.

derekrides
    Free Member

Thanks chaps and chapesses, a lot to try, wish I’d never up graded, the worse OS change ever and I’ve been around since 6.

Jamie
    Free Member

Thanks chaps and chapesses, a lot to try, wish I’d never up graded, the worse OS change ever and I’ve been around since 6.

Nah, it’s not that bad. Just needs some adjustment. If you have a spare hour, check out this:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7.ars

derekrides
    Free Member

The problem was this was all going on and I wasn’t even touching the damn thing, still I’ve now un ticked every box i can find, will see how it goes, thanks again folks..

allthegear
    Free Member

Strange – it’s been that best update by far for me. Mind you, I’ve only been hanging around since Mac OS 7…

Rachel

Jamie
    Free Member

I wasn’t even touching the damn thing…..

In that case, I refer you to my earlier answer:

Ghosts..

derekrides
    Free Member

Snow Leopard was by far the best, slimmed down, de bugged, fast, everything an OS should be. The OS is there to let you use the Apps or Programmes, this thing is just IOS shit coming to a platform that doesn’t need it, just to encourage more plebs to buy into the platform.

Worse days work they ever did, they may have made a shedload of cash, but what a price us original fighter pilots of the rebel alliance have had to pay.

Ironic Windoze has finally almost made the grade as a useable OS – almost, not quite.

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

Sorry, but i reckon you have a dodgy trackpad, i replaced a friends recently for exactly the same problem. It would launch iTunes etc randomly or wander off on its own. Not hard to replace.

+1 for snow leopard too, boot in 25sec-awesome.

MrSmith
    Free Member

i have all that shizzle turnded on (not upgraded to lion yet) so that the trackpad never needs to be clicked and it’s all 1-2-3-4 finger gestures and swipes, so now nobody else can use the laptop.
    the last macbook pro i sold on took a solid half hour of pressing the trackpad to unstick the button as it had never been clicked.
    stick with the gesture based input as the amount of hand/finger movement is minimal compared to a ‘normal’ set-up

derekrides
    Free Member

tumnurkoz – Member
    Sorry, but i reckon you have a dodgy trackpad, i replaced a friends recently for exactly the same problem. It would launch iTunes etc randomly or wander off on its own. Not hard to replace.

+1 for snow leopard too, boot in 25sec-awesome.

Reckon you’re right, bloody kids have been home over Xmas, messy finger muckery, it was fine before they showed up and they fraped me.
    It’s been a tad more stable since i turned all that Sh1t off so thanks for that you guys..

munkyboy
    Free Member

My os lion upgrade was a huge mistake. It now takes 45s longer to boot up (took 30s on snow leopard) and it crashes on start up every second start up……

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

I tried cleaning my friend with isopropyl alcohol to no avail 🙁 managed to find a replacement on ebay. before that i’d tried all the Mac mojo i could muster, but had to resort to replacement in the end. feel free to pm if you need any specifics regarding replacement.

MrSmith
    Free Member

My os lion upgrade was a huge mistake. It now takes 45s longer to boot up (took 30s on snow leopard) and it crashes on start up every second start up……

have you tried applejack? cures most apple ills usually because of sorting the preferences. should be done after every update/install.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anyone become 'handy' with OS Lion?’ is closed to new replies.