Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Anyone any good with the math?
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I have £80k which will be available from Thursday.

In the short term (until I decide what to do with it to potentially make it work harder) I am going to put it all into my flexible mortgage (no fees for overpaying/withdrawing etc).

The thing is, I can only transfer £10k a day without paying a fee. If I move it all on one go, HSBC will charge a £30 fee.

So, given that the mortgage rate is 3.6% (calculated daily) and there is currently around £106k outstanding, would I be better off paying the £30 or just do it over 8 days without fees?

My brain is nowhere near clever enough to work that sort of stuff out but I am sure there will be someone here who can.

Ta.

midlifecrashes

If you have £80k spare, you don’t need to worry about the £30.

grum
    Free Member

Maths not math.

HTH.

AndyP
    Free Member

s

passtherizla
    Free Member

80 grand knocking about and worrying about £30… #firstworldproblems

Major jealousy on my part unless you got it through some beloved family members passing.

I would shorten your mortgage by 15 years, or free up some monthly cash.

as above +1 for maths.. bloody american doucheisms 😉

woody2000

I reckon it will easily save you more than £30 if you transfer the whole lot in at once, though I haven’t actually worked anything out 🙂

Besides, having to do 8 transfers will eat in to your time – how much could you bill for 40 mins work (8×5 mins)?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I make the interest around £10.48/day on £106k and around £2.56/day on £26k, a difference of around £7.92/day. That’s £63.36 over 8 days but only using the whole amount transferred at the beginning or end of the 8 days. By reducing £10k/day you reduce the amount of difference by an amount i can’t be bothered working out. It would be easier if you just gave me the lot and stopped worrying your pretty little head about it.

richmtb

😀

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Besides, having to do 8 transfers will eat in to your time – how much could you bill for 40 mins work (8×5 mins)?

this

time is money

wrecker
    Free Member

unless you got it through some beloved family members passing.

As opposed to those horrible unbeloved ones 🙂

binners

I reckon its from a shipment of nose-candy he safely got through the docks. I’m right, aren’t I?

And sort it out MF. This isn’t Sesame Street! Its maths not math. 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Major jealousy on my part unless you got it through some beloved family members passing.

Unfortunately it is this. 🙁

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ohh and I said ‘the math’ paraphrasing Ali G, not an Americanism. 😀

richmtb

Well don’t I feel like a shit

£30 transfer fee will work out cheaper

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

richmtb – Don’t worry about it – I should have said.

By the sounds of it the difference won’t be that much – if it had been hundreds of difference I would have paid the fee.

I can do the transfers from home whilst tea* is cooking. Or do it instead of wasting even more of my time on here. 😀

*Dinner for the Southerners amongst us.

Bez

Do it in one go. Far less faff, and £30 out of £80k is like tweezering a single pube out of a 1970s German skin flick.

Bez

By the sounds of it the difference won’t be that much – if it had been hundreds of difference I would have paid the fee.

Hundreds? It couldn’t possibly have saved you more than £30.

poly
    Free Member

It works out roughly the same either way. My back of the envelope calculations suggest that you’d save £27.63 more from paying it in in one lump sum (not counting the transfer fee) than paying £10k per day. That is based on some assumptions about how/when interest is compounded on your mortgage and when they credit your account with the payment. I have also ignored the fact that the 10k per day will probably not be possible at weekends but interest will accrue.

miketually
    Free Member

In the short term (until I decide what to do with it to potentially make it work harder) I am going to put it all into my flexible mortgage (no fees for overpaying/withdrawing etc).

If it was me, I’d just leave it in the mortgage forever.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Better off leaving it in a different mortgage.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Hundreds? It couldn’t possibly have saved you more than £30

Good point.

You see – I am no good with mathematics.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Is one thought – I have roughly worked out that I can pay off the mortgage n full in around 3 years if I continue to overpay (putting in the same as I currently do).

Better off leaving it in a different mortgage

But I would need a flexible mortgage so I could get some of it back when I decide what to do with it (ie set up accounts for my children) and I haven’t seen any with a better rate than that. Happy to be proved wrong though.

iDave
    Free Member

Would ‘only’ having £79,970 actually bother you?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I meant buy another property with it.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Would ‘only’ having £79,970 actually bother you?

Probably not but I just wanted to avoid paying the bank unnecessarily. Probably not thinking about the whole situation in any way logically at all.

I meant buy another property with it.

One of my brothers is considering this – I don’t think I’d want the hassle – I already run my own business and have a young family so I want to simplify my life if anything (ie get rid of my mortgage and just worry about earning enough to feed my family and enjoy seeing my girls grow up rather than spending more of my time sorting out another house. A friend has two houses and he always seems to be at the rented one doing something or other rather than being at home with his little boy.

phil.w
    Free Member

A friend has two houses and he always seems to be at the rented one doing something or other rather than being at home

Thats what he tells the wife 😉

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

As above it would be better (approx £60) off to pay in one lump sum as long as you have no early repayment fees on your mortgage which you say there isn’t. Currently interest rates are less than mortgage rates so it makes sense to pay debts rather than save for a rainy day.

mefty
    Free Member

You will be £5.07 better off if you transfer it in one go.

EDIT: £5.51 actually.

dazz
    Free Member

Agree with MrsPoddy, get the mortgage over & done with ASAP.

Bez

There you go, it’s either (a) £27.63, (b) “approx £60” or (c) £5.51 less expensive to move it over in one go. I suppose at least they all agree that it’s cheapest to stump up the £30 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Thats what he tells the wife

If she was my wife I would rather stay home with her 🙂

Thanks for all advice – if I am in town on Thursday I will pay the fee then, otherwise I will do it a little bit each day.

mefty
    Free Member

Actually the 27.63 is the closest, I forgot you can transfer £10K on the first day so the maximum you are losing out on in interest is interest on £70K. But it was 27.63 when compared to a charge of £30 so you are actually worse off by £2.37. Is the time taken to make a transfer worth £0.34? Considering the amount of time you spend on posting here, probably not, but the same could probably be said about me now!

Drac

Me I’d do want Mike says and leave it in there, I blew a windfall once before and it was ace. If I ever get another it’ll be pay off my mortgage. My windfall did clear all other debts though but some have come back, Ooops!

Bez

But it was 27.63 when compared to a charge of £30 so you are actually worse off by £2.37.

To me “you’d save £27.63 more” is a relative statement, ie relative to the alternative option having taken the £30 fee into account. Even if it didn’t take that into account, the £27.63 was a saving relative to something and the £30 is a cost so I can’t see how they can end up £2.37 apart.

Maybe good with math and good with English don’t always go together 😉

hofnar
    Free Member

You guys got it all wrong its indeed around the 30£ mars if you tae the assumtion that he is getting no interest at all. Though he might(should) get some interest on the amounts not yet paid in and in that case the transferring in parts is most likely the most generous.

So next maths quastion from which earned interest rate does it become beneficial to pay in parts. Extra bonus credits if you take into account weekends possible non transferability.

mefty
    Free Member

To me “you’d save £27.63 more” is a relative statement

Whilst the poster’s wording was ambiguous, the ambiguity was resolved in my mind by coming to the same result, hence my conclusion that was the most accurate calculation before hofnar threw the business days and interest received spanners into the works. The former being the more important in terms of magnitude. Even then he has been too simplistic because you need to tax effect the interest received.

It is quite clear to me that this question should not be resolved on a forum, but with the benefit of professional advice, whilst the cost of this would completely negate the potential benefits, being correct is more important than money.

mefty
    Free Member

To me “you’d save £27.63 more” is a relative statement

Whilst the poster’s wording was ambiguous, the ambiguity was resolved in my mind by coming to the same result, hence my conclusion that was the most accurate calculation before hofnar threw the business days and interest received spanners into the works. The former being the more important in terms of magnitude. Even then he has been too simplistic because you need to tax effect the interest received.

It is quite clear to me that this question should not be resolved on a forum, but with the benefit of professional advice, whilst the cost of this would completely negate the potential benefits, being correct is more important than money.

Alternatively, if he has any common sense he will just pay the fee and save himself the time and effort and also, once the inability to transfer at the weekend is taken into account, a bit of cash.

passtherizla
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member

Unfortunately it is this.

sorry to hear that fella… I’d rather have my loved ones than money any day. 🙁

make ’em proud however you spend it. 🙂

Bez

It is quite clear to me that this question should not be resolved on a forum, but with the benefit of professional advice

I think the first reply was the most pragmatic one. The absolute best that could be hoped to be saved was £30 on an £80k payment – at my hourly rate of brainpower that’s enough to end the process 🙂

sparkyrhino

“any spare change mate” 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Anyone any good with the math?’ is closed to new replies.