Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Anyone advise me about tax office mistakes
  • TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I recently noticed that i was paying a LOT of tax on my income. Yes i know some of you guys pay more but this was way in excess to what i thought i should be. Anyhow after calling the tax office to ask they informed me that over a 3yr period there had been a few ‘mistakes’ made on my coding. It transpires that they omitted to charge me for my fuel allowance for a couple of years. I asked if this had been a mistake by my employers and they said no the P11D was correctly completed. So for the last 12mths (Finished now) i have in effect been paying for 3 yrs fuel allowance 🙁

The guy i was speeking to was quite helpfull and said i had a good case for complaining as it was quite clear that the tax office had made the mistake 2 years on the bounce. So i wrote in to complain.

The reply quite clearly states that THEY APOLOGIZE FOR THEIR MISTAKE but as i had recived 3 statements in this period then it was my fault for not informing them. So not only is it my responsibility to make sure they have the right info, but its also my responsibility to make sure they use that info correctly (Do their job) TBH i dont really pay that much attention to the statements because wheneve i do they just send another 2 or 3 statements and it gets very confusing. I do hiwever ensure that my employers make sure my P11D is correct becasue i got caught out on a company car years ago.

Does anyone know what i can do about this. Its probably the cost of a nice new bike 🙁

jova54
    Free Member

Nothing.

You owed the tax and they have taken it back by increasing your coding.

They have apologised but they can claim unpaid taxes for up to 7 years IIRC.

Whether you like it or not, or even understand your tax staements, it is still your responsibility to check to ensure you have paid the right tax.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Anyone advise me about tax office mistakes’ is closed to new replies.