Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anyone about to cut a steerer tube?
  • andrewh
    Free Member

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone out there was about to cut the steerer tube of a new set of forks? If so, could I have the offcut from the top please? Need something 1 1/8″ diameter (top bit of a tapered one should be fie) and 4″ or more long, I can cut it to length. Aluminum rather than carbon if possible please.
    Or if anyone is about to bin a ruined set of forks and wants to cut the steerer off those, that would do nicely.

I’ll pay the postage if anyone out there wants to send their waste this way.

Many thanks

justinbieber

I am, but the off cut will only be about 3″ long. Sorry

andrewh
    Free Member

Might be long enough, but I’d rather go for too long with room to cut it. Thanks anyway.

bri-72

Was about to say yes I might have an off cut this week but standard uncut is normally 240mm most forks, so a 4” off cut I’d not have anything near that.
    Probably someone with a broken fork your best bet

andrewh
    Free Member

I didn’t know that. They all look huge to me. Or maybe I just have short head tubes.
    I might do some measuring rather than looking at it and guessing and adding a bit to be on the safe side, just in case there aren’t dead forks lurking out there. Can’t even get a wrecked bike from the tip just now.

scotroutes

Find someone with a Long Haul Trucker. The steerer tubes on them are about 3 ft long.

sockpuppet

I have all the trimmed off bits I’ve ever trimmed off forks floating around the depths of my toolbox. Because, you know, useful.

I was overjoyed to see your request, because I might finally be able to make one of them, etc, useful. Until I saw 4″.

None are anywhere near that length, sorry.

A written off fork (as above) might be needed.

beagle
    Free Member

Give Rick at Slick and Slide suspension a call. He routinely presses in new steerers, replacing creaky units. I’ll bet he has something suitable. Think he is on here – can’t remember his username though.

wzzzz
    Free Member

I have a pair of faulty carbon road forks you can have for postage with uncut steerer

The steerer is straight made of alloy

duncancallum

Balls just binned 2x x fusions

coatesy
    Free Member

Message me your adress, should have plenty in the scrap bin in work. I’ll send a couple out tomorrow.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I have all the trimmed off bits I’ve ever trimmed off forks floating around the depths of my toolbox. Because, you know, useful.

^^ This 🙂

andrewh
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input everyone.
    I was trying to pm @coatesy but I can’t see how to do it. I’ve got loads of old messages in there but nowhere to start a new one?
    Anyway, in case you check back on this thread my contact info is andy underscore howett at yahoodotcodotuk
    Wzzz, yours sounds like a suitable plan B, thank-you.

andrewh
    Free Member

I cleared all mine out a little while ago, and now hey presto, I have a use for one. Hnag on to yours…

coatesy
    Free Member

Okey doke, i’ve got a few at 3 3/4″, let me know if they’re any use before I start the rummage through what seems like a couple of thousand others. You can contact me on 02920345944.

bigyan
    Free Member

Where are you based? Somebody might know a friendly shop who will give you a scrap fork/csu/steerer for cake if they are in that line of bike repair.

big_scot_nanny

“I have all the trimmed off bits I’ve ever trimmed off forks floating around the depths of my toolbox. Because, you know, useful.”

I cleared all mine out a little while ago, and now hey presto, I have a use for one. Hnag on to yours…

I don’t want to hear that, its why I have overflowing plastic tubs: unidentifiable mix of ‘excess links from new chain’ in everything from 7-12spd? check!
    off cuts from steerers? check!
    trimmings from gear cables cause they are always useful for ‘poking’ things? check!

etc etc 🙂

I’ve got several steer cut offs, but as I am massive with massive bikes, none are more than 1-1/5″ soz

molgrips
    Free Member

Not sure what you are planning but be aware that the internal diameter might vary. Most are tapered on the inside, not sure where the taper would start.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anyone about to cut a steerer tube?’ is closed to new replies.