• This topic has 18 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by luke.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Anybody use an NHS car leasing scheme
  • ticsmon

Wife has just started working for the NHS and is after a new car. Is it worth looking at a leasing scheme?

Drac

I do and certainly is. Especially the Special Deals they offer.

jet26
    Free Member

Drac do your trust have to be signed up to it or can you do it independently through the scheme?

Drac

I believe your trust needs to be signed up, ask your HR to look into it.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Yours is obviously far better than the scheme that our trust signed up to Drac.
    The one that my lot signed up to is astronomically expensive but despite that some staff have used the scheme as there’s no credit checks involved!

ticsmon

Thanks lads

P-Jay
    Free Member

My Wife’s Trust has one, I can’t remember the name of it – but it wasn’t that competitively priced – we were looking for a smallish car for her to use for work (district Nurse) so nothing fancy – but everything we looked at was £50-£60 a month more than main dealer deals – however it did include insurance, but my Wife’s is £15 a month or so.

Where they seemed to fall down was on mileage, they didn’t seem to take it into account – Mrs. Jay only really drives for work, the rest of the time she’s either with me in my Car or takes my Car – she only does 5000 miles a year.

Drac

My trust uses NHS Fleet Solution it includes everything but fuel, the mileage can bet set on the application.

unseen
    Free Member

My trust also uses NHS Fleet Solutions, currently awaiting delivery of my second car from them!..
    When I set the mileage I took into account holidaying abroad with the car (which is covered as well) so I will have about 3K miles spare when they collect the current one.

v8ninety

Yup, my trust used NHS FS too, I’m perfectly happy with the cost of my Golf GTD, which goes back this month, to be replaced by a… Golf GTD.

Imaginative, moi?

Drac

They’re rather popular those. They’ve changed it to the GTE on the deal now.

DickBarton

(Actually, that is the furthest from the truth in my personal experience of the NHS – utterly awesome service – but there isn’t really a joke to be had from my own positive experience of said service)

If it is anything like the NHS, then you will be added to a waiting list, miss the first 3 cars suitable due to the wrong location being given and no space in the car share pool and finally you’ll be handed a scooter – due to cost cutting measures.

Joking aside – if you aren’t precious about your vehicle i.e. you buy it and you’ll have it until you or it gives up the ghost, then a lease scheme is a great idea – you effectively pay for the time you own the car with everything but fuel included in the price – then when you get to the end of the agreement, you had it back and either get a new one or leave the scheme – sounds ideal!

I use my work scheme for my car, has been great and has saved me money – the company is pushing the environmentally friendly cars with very low co2 emissions – so the range is big but isn’t sporty or high performance – not a major issue for me – I’m neither! I think a lease scheme is fantastic as I’m happy to hand the vehicle back at the end of the term – I see cars as a requirement to get from A to B and no more, so the fact I don’t own it is fine.

Only 2 things I need to sort out – I’d like a no-claims proof so I can add it to my other 7 years, but when I come out of the scheme I’ll have had 10 years NCB, so if I don’t stay I’d like to use it for a ‘cheaper’ insurance price on my next vehicle; tyres – they are included but I don’t know how it actually works – I’m unsure if they get replaced when they are worn or if they need to get damaged to be replaced – again, not a major issue yet, but something I really should call and find out about!

Drac

And they don’t work on weekends.

DickBarton

And they don’t work on weekends.

Helps keep the mileage down so make sure you use that to your advantage – don’t agree such a high mileage and the cost gets lower for you!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve got one, our Trust use NHS Fleet Solutions. Fleet Solutions is basically a North East Trust that is earning extra income by working as a 3rd party.

Pro’s – Can get nice cars at very good value ie I couldn’t get my BMW for any where like the same price (including maintenance & insurance)

In reality the car has zero risk with you, there is no credit agreement etc. In theory you could just walk away (I know of times where that has happened) and the Trust is lumbered with a car and invoice to pay.

You can terminate the lease early in the 3rd year for 1 months lease cost. (which I have done on my current car, as I have found a new higher spec model for less money)

They appear to be much better VFM on bigger more expensive cars than Fiesta’s/Aygo’s etc.

Just go in to their website and do lots of quotes on various vehicles. Eco ones will be cheaper due to lower BIK rates. Be aware that premium cars can work out cheaper. Hybrids are definitely the cheapest way to go at the minute. Options tend to disproportionately affect lease costs, however some can decrease cost as they increase residual value.

Find out what the excess mileage rate is for the car you are looking at. It could potentially be cheaper to pay the excess (providing you have the cash) than to factor the mileage in to the lease cost.

Cons –

They are just an NHS Trust, so customer service is non existent. The car is delivered where you want at no extra cost, but they dont show you how to use it etc. It doesnt come with a handbook of useful numbers etc, or explaining what to do with servicing, repairs etc.

You have to be on a permanent contract, so that rules out doctors in training, as I think one of you is above 😉

You are on stipulated contract mileage. I know of colleagues who have had change in location/duties/job which has meant that the mileage they signed up for is no longer possible.

The quote system they do says how much your take home pay will be reduced (based on current Benefit in Kind tax rates) over the course of a 2 or 3 year lease the BIK Tax rates can go up, dramatically changing how much tax you pay. eg the car I have just ordered has a current tax rate of £45 in the 3rd year of lease this will have doubled. Check you BIK rates for the length of the lease because they will not tell you this.

You shouldnt take one on if you are going to retire within 3 years as it affects pension lump sum. It does reduce your pension pot too, but IMO its a small amount.

It can potentially affect your ability to get a mortgage. In theory because you are doing salary sacrifice, you are giving your employer authority to reduce you salary. ie roughly my car has reduce my salary by approx £5.5k. This could affect applying for mortgages etc.

They have cocked up ordering my latest car, informed me it had been ordered, when in fact it hadn’t, so I missed out on a Government grant for installing a charge electrical charge point at home.

However, even after all that I am signing up for my 2nd car with them, and would do more.

They are doing good deals on the Golf GTE and BMW 330e at the moment.

£275pm for the Golf or top of range 330e M Sport for £340pm (thats based on my individual pay info, which does make some difference to quotes.

Drac

The car is delivered where you want at no extra cost, but they dont show you how to use it etc. It doesnt come with a handbook of useful numbers etc, or explaining what to do with servicing, repairs etc.

I’ve always been offered and always been given hahdbook the info is also on their site.

You are on stipulated contract mileage. I know of colleagues who have had change in location/duties/job which has meant that the mileage they signed up for is no longer possible.

After 12 months you can change it.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Drac – I got absolutely nothing, and so have other colleagues who work in my Trust. (obviously you get the manufacturers manuals etc)

I might email them about mileage. (as my current car is over)

I certainly am aware of 2 people who had change of duties, the Trust looked in to it and were told that excess mileage would apply.

Drac

I’ve always either received the NHS Fleet Solutions booklet with details in or the actual lease companies booklet. Delivery guy has always offered to run through how to use features but I’ve never bothered taking it up.

luke
    Free Member

The wife’s trust go via tusker and the deals aren’t that great I can find cheaper on most cars elsewhere.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Anybody use an NHS car leasing scheme’ is closed to new replies.