• This topic has 125 replies, 68 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by IA.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 126 total)
  • ANYbody use a tablet other than ipad
  • GrahamS

I hate the ..PITA of using iTunes to transfer content

Don’t use it then. As I said earlier I’ve had my iPad for three months and never yet hooked it up to iTunes.

I’d only bother if I wanted to load my iTunes library onto it, which I don’t.

Pembo
    Free Member

iPad still getting >90% of tablet page impressions with the galaxy tab next highest with <2%. Microsoft rumoured to be launching a tablet next week.

DrJ

Microsoft rumoured to be launching a tablet next week.

Looking forward to that. Will it be brown, like the Zune, to match my leatherette sofa?

cx_monkey

I picked up a 16gb BB Playbook a few months ago, as it was so cheap (sure I only paid £130 ish) so thought it would be a reasonably low cost experiment to see if it was a good competitor to an i-pad for what I use it for. The new OS makes it very usable, with native email now included. Lack of apps is negated by being able to convert Android apps. But TBH, I’m mostly using it for work orientated stuff, and all the apps are there for that and solid. Size is perfect, and haven’t needed a bigger tablet, operation is intuitive and very smooth. Laptop hasn’t come with me on business trips for ages now.

Does make more sense to run it with a BB phone to provide mobility though, ‘tethers’ through Bridge to run on 3G when away from wireless. I like the idea of only one data bill.

Recommended and very cheap. Good option if you already have a BB phone. If no BB, I suspect the iPad is a way better long term option despite cost though.

GrahamS

Does make more sense to run it with a BB phone to provide mobility though, ‘tethers’ through Bridge to run on 3G when away from wireless.

Most smartphones can turn themselves into wi-fi hotspot anyway, so if you have a smartphone + tablet that only has wifi then you can still use it away from wifi.

Stoner
    Free Member

^ yep – most gingerbread+ phones will hotspot now. Works faultlessly, hence no need for 3G in other devices these days.

GrahamS

Pretty much why I didn’t bother with the 3G version of the iPad

sv

Just purchased the Ainol Stoner linked to. Mainly for work stuff when on-site but I am sure it will come in handy elsewhere…

GrahamS

Stoner loves Ainol. 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

I shall be calling it the “Aurora” form now on. Ive gone off Ainol 🙂

GrahamS

Cottonelle Moist Wipes™ – proven defence against “Ainol Aurora” 😆

rangeroy
    Free Member

Stoner, have same type of aurora as yourself but now running cyanmodgen9 script it blows feiyu’s 0515 away, runs flash so can use iplayer, has 3g wifi & bluetooth support, skype works & has best screen touch of any previous rom.
    found all links from slatedroid site how to root & use clockwork etc

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers rangeroy will check it out.
    you might want to review the Aurora in here as well so its not just me.

Shorty121
    Free Member

Stoner – does yours run really warm and also mine doesn’t seem to charge very fast.

sv

you might want to review the Aurora in here as well so its not just me.

😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Stoner – does yours run really warm

Rather a personal question there…..

From what I gather, he’s been given an ointment to clear that up.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Going to look at the Samsung 10.1 t`morrow…

BrickMan

I caved in and bought an iPad for family use – it is a slick device but I hate the lack of flash support and the PITA of using iTunes to transfer content. The display is great though and I can see why it is successful.

Are you joking apple have STILL not provided flash support on their devices? I thought this was some kind of glitch from 5years ago? How can they release a device that does not support Flash in this day and age.

So what do you do when you land on MOST of the internets websites that are flash enabled? How does it work?

druidh
    Free Member

BrickMan – Member
    How can they release a device that does not support Flash in this day and age.

Because Flash is yesterdays technology and is increasingly being sidelined.

superfli
    Free Member

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ployer-MOMO11-Capacitive-Android-Tablet/dp/B007YZ9NX4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339796795&sr=8-1

Waiting for mine to arrive. Seems to have everything you’d need (inc 9.7″ IPS screen like iPad) apart from Bluetooth and maybe a better camera. £150 from Amazon or a little less elsewhere.

Found thanks to Stoners link to gadgetfreaks – ta 😀

Shorty121
    Free Member

Image selling the one stone linked to as i just don’t get on with touchpad so if anyone wants it cheap

rossi46
    Free Member

So what the bloody hell is an ‘ice cream sandwich’ ❓

My wife’s bought me a cheap Chinese one (it’s an android), seems ok- im only using it for internet at the mo, but when i connect it to my wireless the speed seems real slow. On my laptop i have maximum signal strength on the tab i have poor signal strength. If i sit next to the router nothing really changes.

What would that be then?

I may get another one at some point, i’d use if for photo’s (storing/ editing/ etc), surfing the web, looking at you tube/ video’s etc and maybe putting some music on it.

GrahamS

I thought this was some kind of glitch from 5years ago?

Not a glitch, a very public and deliberate decision not to support the software that causes a huge majority of browser crashes and security issues.

I believe Windows phone made the same choice. Even Adobe are giving up on Mobile Flash now.

So what do you do when you land on MOST of the internets websites that are flash enabled? How does it work?

I think I must be using a different Internet to you. I don’t even run flash on my PC on 99% of the sites I use.

rangeroy
    Free Member

Review of Novo7 aurora, bought from gadgetfreks,came with ics o/s that had some of the chinese apps/games already removed.
    bought so i could surf web & use as book reader at work (free wifi)
    first script did not support 3g or bluetooth & after a couple of weeks & a few visits to the slatedroid site I chose to fully root the tablet & install cwm so i could update/reflash without the need for a pc & i have used various roms/updates from a couple of very clever people, the last feiyu (0515) build gives support for 3g & bluetooth as does the cyanmodgen 9 script i’m running at the moment (it’s a nightly script not stable) only known prob for me is it runs skype but no video as yet.
    some of the roms have had charging/ screen compatability issues because there are 3 types of screens, the latest been made by LG.
    I have just been on gadgetfrekz site & the latest novo7 has a dual core processor but i am more than happy with mine probably because i dont run games on it.
    if you want something that runs fantastic without any messing i say get a ipad but with a bit of research & messing about you get all the fun especially when rooted of playing about under the bonnet.
    ps & after updating a rom if you dont like just return to a previous one

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well I went over to That Currys like to take a peek at the Galaxy Tab 10.1, 32gb and it’s a nice piece of kit, c’ept they didn’t have any to sell me..

“Is confused”

What is WIndoz 8 like?? and why do I have to wait until November for the new version of the GTab 10??

CountZero

Are you joking apple have STILL not provided flash support on their devices? I thought this was some kind of glitch from 5years ago? How can they release a device that does not support Flash in this day and age.

It doesn’t, with a touch screen. As with GrahamS, if, and it’s a very big if, I need Flash, I use Chrome, which natively decodes it. My Mac Mini was bought last August, and it does not have Flash installed on it, if only for security reasons. Flash and Adobe Reader are two of the worst pieces of software for exploits via security holes, and I can remember the rants on here, and the bannings, because people got so fed up with the Flash-driven adverts they were openly using ad-blocker, and getting banned for it. Flash has no place in a mobile ecology, unless it’s totally redesigned. If you can’t grasp the fact that an app that requires a mouse for most it’s functions, like mouse-hovers over items to gain content being fundamentally incompatible with a touch-screen, then I suggest you do some serious research into why Flash is being sidelined even by Adobe, it’s creator. It sucks.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And if you *need* to access a Flash site just search on the Apple store for the free Flash browser that is on there. I have it works fine.

GrahamS

m_f: SkyFire or something else?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

No idea – its on my iPad but I’m not at home to check – can do so later if you want to know.

TiRed

First generation 32GB Playbook owner here – I bought mine in the US on release day! Most important point is that it is not an iPad. So don’t expect it to be a big iPhone.

It is however a great device. I don’t know anyone who has bought one who doesn’t think that it suits their needs. Search on Playbook for my old posts. But mine is a media player, internet radio, reference source…

I link mine to my BB but the native WiFi email is fine too.

GWick
    Free Member

I have a 7″ ainol novo 7 elf and a 9.7″ onda vi40. About £90 & £120 respectively from china. The onda has an ips screen like the ipad.

Firmware out of the box is crap but there are plenty of custom roms on slatedroid.com which make both tablets spot on.

MrNutt
    Free Member

64gb playbook here and very happy, the itunes sync over wifi is excellent and whilst the default file manager blows “files and folders” works a treat. Also have an ipad3 in the house but always tend towards the playbook. I’d recommend one.

southbeds
    Free Member

i have ordered one of these NATPC M009S RTB ULTIMATE 16GB Capacitive Android tablet PC – Android 4.0 ICS .from amazon.£109

GrahamS

Also have an ipad3 in the house but always tend towards the playbook.

Wow strong backing! What draws you to the Playbook more than the iPad?

I think I’d find the playbook screen a bit pixelly and rubbish after using the iPad, but I’m sensitive to such things*

*(e.g. the blocky posterisation on digital TV really irritates me, but the wife has no idea what I’m talking about).

rwc03
    Free Member

The Microsoft Surface looks promising:

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-06/19/microsoft-launch-two-tablets

Not many details yet and probably not out until the end of the year, but if it’s running office they could be on to a winner.

GrahamS

Yep, tablet wars are heating up finally. All good.

More discussion of the Surface here btw:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/top-secret-microsoft-announcement

benhowe10
    Free Member

Asus Transformer Prime. £450 but better than the Ipad 3 has a removable keyboard and expandable memory/USB port.

GrahamS
    toys19
    Free Member

Yeah but have you seen how thin the MS one is? Those apple keyboards look like slabs of granite in comparison. Looks good, and you don’t have to wear your sisters jeans to be seen in public with it.

GrahamS

Those apple keyboards look like slabs of granite in comparison

They’re not “Apple” keyboards – just 3rd party cases with Bluetooth keyboards on them (typically £20-30).

Apple would much rather you didn’t use a keyboard on an iPad.
    If you need a keyboard you are supposed to buy:

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘ANYbody use a tablet other than ipad’ is closed to new replies.