Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • anybody on here play banjo or Ukulele
  • mollski
    Free Member

has above guys

jon1973
    Free Member

my brother in law plays the banjo pretty well.

Tinners

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8[/video]

(somebody had to do it……)

Tinners

I was talking to one of the blokes in Cranes music store in Cardiff recently and apparently, ukeleles are selling like hotcakes. Can’t mention ukeleles without posting a bit of Jake Shimabukuro
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSkP3uym5k&feature=related[/video]

mollski
    Free Member

GREAT im thinking of learning to play

_tom_
    Free Member

Got a ukelele but I hardly ever play it. Feels like too much of a toy compared to my full size guitars. It’s quite fun though, and has a nice laid back sound to it.

martymac

i love the banjo, great sound.

mollski
    Free Member

tom is the ukelelee hard to play??

Trampus
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waMam5OLi_A&feature=related[/video]

The are hard to play well, mollski, but you can pick up the basics very quickly.

mollski
    Free Member

o my god thats my sister lol

neilc1881
    Free Member

Reminds me of the best t-shirt slogan I have seen (while at a bluegrass festival in the states) – ‘paddle faster… I hear banjo music.’ Led to an adapted version for mountain biking Wales Real Ale Wobble t-shirt ‘pedal faster…’. You never know in Llanwrytyd.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

I have a Ukelele and it is fun.

Basically it’s the D, G, B and E strings from a guitar – but D is an octave higher.

So in theory you can play guitar chords on them and get a half decent tune out (if you know your guitar chords). BUT – there are specific Ukelele chords that sound better.

They come in different sizes so go and try. I have tree frog fingers so needed a fairly big one.

Having said all of that – I prefer my guitars…..

But – they do make an amusing aside (and they’re cheap).

grim168
    Free Member

I play 5 string banjo in the frailing style. I just couldnt get to grips with the picking scruggs way of playing.

2orangey4crows

I’ve been playing a soprano uke (the smallest, with GCEA tuning) for nearly 3 years. It’s a fun instruments and quite easy to make some good sounds quite quickly. I’d never played an instrument before and had heard it was one of the easiest to learn, and I think that’s probably true.

I’d really recommend the Hal Leonard books as a starting point. They cover the basics and give you some recognisable songs to play. I’ve worked through those and have just picked up a fingerstyle book by Mark Nelson for a bit of variety.

The best bit about the uke is how small they are, it’s so easy to take it everywhere with you (much to the annoyance of my friends I suspect!).

mollski
    Free Member

2orangey4crows thanks for the above,great bit of info 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘anybody on here play banjo or Ukulele’ is closed to new replies.