Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anybody live near Bexhill East Sussex?
  • ianpinder
    Free Member

As the title really, will be moving there for work on Monday, wondered where I should base myself. Eastbourne, Hastings or in Bexhill, any where I should avoid?

p7rich
    Free Member

Hastings is reputed to be an awful place *ducks*. Can’t comment on Eastbourne or Bexhill. I’m Brighton.

rewski
    Free Member

Eastbourne is great, some very good riding on the south downs and friston forest, there’s quite a few small villages worth looking at, jevington, friston, west ham, cooden beach, wartling. I was in Hastings at the weekend, they’ve spent quite a lot of money on redeveloping the old town end, hopefully it’s on the up. When you’re in Bexhill check out the de la warr pavilion, they’ve got the coach from the Italian job hanging off the roof.

wwaswas

of the three Eastbourne is probably ‘nicest’.

Hastings has a reputation for being b&b land for London boroughs keen to move problem families out. The old town’s supposed to be quite nice though.

As above – might be worth looking at some of the outlying villages if you don’t need/want the full urban living thing.

zippykona

Hastings Old Town has a brilliant music scene and The First In Last Out
    (filo) is just the best place to be on a winters evening. Also try the Stag.
    Everywhere has its rough bits,Hastings has its good bits.
    Fairlight Country Park is like someone has pinched a gorgeous bit of Dorset and put it in Sussex.
    Eastbourne will be better for mtb though.
    I would move back to Hastings tomorrow. A place full of characters and always something going on.You just have to find it.
    Mayday and Hastings Week fireworks are just completely mental.
    On my fist (motorbike) commute from Hastings to Bexhill I just could not believe that cars would pull over to the kerb to let me past.

zippykona

Ps if you see a man in a dress with a teddy bear do not even think of taking the piss. Many out of towners have and really regret it.
    THE hardest man you will ever meet. Previous employers were SAS.

ianpinder
    Free Member

I’m staying in a b anb in newhaven for the frirst three weeks until site moves in to bexhill.

I’ll use that time to look around. At least its much cheaper then crydon where I was looking

wwaswas

I’m staying in a b anb in newhaven

gosh.

jam-bo

brighton and commute.

grew up round bexhill and rarely go back.

eastbourne is where old people move to die.
    bexhill is where they move once they have.

wwaswas

brighton and commute.

I wouldn’t if driving. The A27 is an almost constant queue of traffic due to accidents etc most mornings and evenings.

Tom83

I live in Hastings, near Ore village. It’s got scummy places like everywhere does, but as said above, the old town is brilliant for nights out. There’s a lot more nice about Hastings then there is nasty. Just nowhere to ride of that i know! I usually just drive up the a21 to Bedgebury.

Oh and the Hastings beer festival the other night – awesome!

igrf
    Free Member

Take up wind or kitesurfing, find the spots they go and most of them ride off road when there’s no wind, that’s the way of it on the south coast. There are some great guys and a good crowd down there you just have to seek em out..

I’d go for Eastbourne then you’re midway between Brighton and Hastings, Bexhill is a bit Gods waiting room and there is a bit more riding round Eastbourne, south downs way , stuff like that..

m1kea
    Free Member

Out of the choices, I’d go with Eastbourne for geographical convenience.

The A27 and A22 aren’t particularly decent roads out of Ebo but are much better than the A259 through Bexhill.

I’m not sure I can think of anything worse than a BnB in Newhaven 😉 but if you’ve got a MTB with you, you have Friston Forest E of Seaford, Stanmer park in Brighton and the South Downs Way practically on your doorstep.

simon_g

My parents moved to Bexhill recently. Seems like a nice place, drove through Hastings a while ago and it feels like it’s gone downhill a lot since I was younger.

It’s one of the few places without parking restrictions along the front – windsurfers tend to head straight off from West Parade, kitesurfers further east – can park on Beaulieu Road and there’s steps straight down to the beach.

Bedgebury is OK for a blast around their singletrack loop but it’s £8.50 to park – or leave the car in one of the laybys nearby and ride in.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anybody live near Bexhill East Sussex?’ is closed to new replies.