Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Anybody lit their stove yet?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

It’s getting cooler in the evenings. Our heating is still off but I feel that come October the stove will be lit.
    Just ordered 1500L of oil 😥 to hopefully see us through the winter and I’ve got quite of lot of wood and some coal ready to go.
    I’ve also got an extra 10 rolls of insulation to chuck up in the roofspace in the next few weeks.
    The stove is in the ‘snug’ off the kitchen and allows us to effectively live in one half of the house and shut the rest off.
    Not sure if I’m ready for it yet though – love summer too much.

Junkyard
    Free Member

not till october those are the rules.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

not till october those are the rules.

Is what I tell my wife too 🙂

We had the central heating on last night but ONLY because we had a babysitter. Looking forward to cranking up the stove though 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Burnt a couple of logs last week to dry some washing out quicker, need to find a friendly tree surgeon to get some wood in for the winter.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

If I only lived in half of my house I’d have to choose between the kitchen and bathroom to sleep in 😐

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I put the central heating on for an hour the other night. Although a good tip for saving on heating bills:

After work, immediately go out and absolutely hammer your road bike for an hour or two. You’ll feel warmed up for the rest of the evening.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Is what I tell my wife too

i will e-mail her if you cannot MTFU 😉

stumpy01

We had ours on the other day, but only because my other half’s Dad replaced most of our radiators with fancy new ones while we were away on holiday. We wanted to see how effective they were compared to the old ones, which were the originals fitted when the system was installed. Apparently my OH’s Dad reckons they are bomb-proof radiators, but they were never that good at putting out much heat.

Anyway, the house was too hot within about 30 mins, although it was ~18 deg. outside.
    We are having a wireless thermostat fitted in the next week or two which will be much more sophisticated than the current one & I am gonna stick some more insulation in the loft before winter sets in!

My OH keeps grumbling she’s cold in the evenings, but then comes downstairs in a thin top and jeans with no socks on……

wrightyson
    Free Member

Lit it monday this week coz the wife felt a bit poorly and it’s been lit every night since!!

binners

The girls wanted me to light the fire the other night. This had very little to do with heat, and everything to do with toasting marshmallows.

I might light one tonight 🙂

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Coal/wood stoves/fires = ace.

Playing with fire in your front room = ace.

Might get ours lit this weekend if the forecast turns out the be accurate.

Stoner
    Free Member

Lit mine the other night as I had a towny friend round for dinner and he wanted to poke my logs and riddle my grate.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

he wanted to riddle my grate

khani
    Free Member

We had one fitted a couple of months ago and I’ve been restraining the mrs from putting it on, till a couple of days ago
    Then sat in the lounge in my underpants all evening…
    Too early yet…

Helios
    Free Member

Had ours on 2 nights this week – still too warm for it really, but last night MrsHelios was working at the dinning room table til 10pm and got cold sitting there… Plus I was bored and wanted something to do…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

ANNOUNCEMENT

That’s it, I am going to light mine tonight….

nbt

Ours was lit on august bank holiday weekend, it was proper miserable round here. We’ve had it lit a couple of time since, and as Mrs NBT can be badly affected by the cold we’ve had the heating on low for a week or so already

johnners
    Free Member

not till october those are the rules

Haven’t some of you people heard of thermostats? They’re clever things that let your heating respond to the actual temperature in your house, and they’re a way better idea than plucking some arbitrary date out of your bum.*

Although, yeah. October at the earliest here too. Last year I kept the heating off until the temperature fell below 10 degrees in my bedroom.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Haven’t some of you people heard of thermostats? They’re clever things that let your heating respond to the actual temperature in your house, and they’re a way better idea than plucking some arbitrary date out of your bum.*

We’re taking things a little too literally aren’t we?
    8)

Ohh, and a thermostat won’t nip outside, get some logs and kindling, stack it up and light my fire now will it!!!!!

toys19
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member
    not till october december those are the devon rules.

organic355
    Free Member

wood burning stove hasnt actually been off, maybe for a few nights.

binners

Ohh, and a thermostat won’t nip outside, get some logs and kindling, stack it up and light my fire now will it!!!!!

With the present global economic climate there’s an easy solution. Here’s our ‘Thermostat’ MF. He’s no trouble. We keep him in the shed and throw him leftovers every couple of days 8)

trailmonkey

wood burner on last night.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

With the present global economic climate there’s an easy solution. Here’s our ‘Thermostat’ MF. He’s no trouble. We keep him in the shed and throw him leftovers every couple of days

LOL!

BOY – make fire on.

Bunnyhop

The weather forecast for next week is warm, infact very warm in some places 🙂

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Oh good….. so its that time of the year I get to watch Binners kneeling on the floor swigging from a can of strong lager, holding a peice of newspaper over the fire to get the flames up and swearing whilst getting coal dust on everything in the living room….

…great…..

*sighs*

Edukator
    Free Member

24.7°C at present in the living room so no. We’re still using the shutters to stop the bedroom getting too hot.

mangoridebike

I sooo want a log burner, but with the house lacking a chimney it seems like its going to be a major faff getting one put it. Does anyone have any experience of putting a burner into a house without a chimney?

Davesport

Just about to get one of these Jotul’s fitted 😀 Canny wait ! My first ever wood stove 8) It’s going to be like a sauna in my house……….

BARDSTER
    Free Member

yeah, you can put a stove in a house without a chimney – a mate of mine did it in a chapel he converted, and another in a barn conversion. It is also seen in all the mountain huts in Norway. However, you would effectively build a chimney in the house out flue material (for which I am sure there is an abundance of rules and regs) and have extra plates through the floors/ roof to stop your house catching fire!. The BIG bonus is that you end up getting a LOT of heat out of the flue.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ve just knocked the wall out above the door in the room that houses our Jotul. The idea is to improve air circualation to the rest of the house and reduce the cooking while only wearing underpants syndrome.

globalti
    Free Member

Our stove first got lit about a month ago! MIL came to stay for two weeks and being elderly she likes it warm…. she also loves chucking logs on so in two weeks she burned her way merrily through about three months worth of evening firewood!

Got a small sycamore next door that the neighbour wants me to take down but that won’t be ready to burn this winter.

globalti
    Free Member

To find out about installing stoves you need to make friends with your local chimney sweep.

Anybody in Lancs, avoid the stove company in Ramsbottom; we had them once and one of the blokes pissed in a box of my wife’s possessions. We caught him lurking but didn’t actually discover the piss until two weeks later.

Stoner
    Free Member

mango – have a look in the other stove thread. talk of non-chimney flue installs and pictures.

bedmaker

I put chimneys into houses regularly which haven’t already got one. ( My own included x2)

Had a good one last week. Lady buys new house, recent build with no chimney and asked me to price for a stove as ‘all my friends told me I can have a chimney put in no problem’.
    Well, yes you can but it will need to go straight through the middle of the bedroom above 😆 unless you put it in the corner of the living room.

Told me I had ruined her day!!

My stove has been lit for a wee while most nights for weeks now. Thats the beauty of a decent stove and dry wood – so easy to light and have on for an hour or so compared to an open fire.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I shouldn’t have done that – waaaay too hot. Better than watching the telly though.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Apparently my OH’s Dad reckons they are bomb-proof radiators

Sell them to Gadaffi.

geoffj

mastiles_fanylion – Member
    I shouldn’t have done that – waaaay too hot. Better than watching the telly though.
    POSTED 24 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

+1 28 degrees on the thermometer!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Anybody lit their stove yet?’ is closed to new replies.