Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anybody listen to Audiobooks?
  • flippinheckler
    Free Member

If so whats a good listen like thrillers and ancient greek/Roman fiction also liked Girl with dragon tattoo trilogy so what can anyone recommend thats gripping.

jekkyl

most popular books are available as audio books. We go to sleep on one every night. We’re working our way through the game of thrones books at the moment, excellent series. All the disc world novels are available too, not exactly gripping but very entertaining. It helps cost wise to use piratebay or other such illegal torrenting methods.

househusband
    Free Member

Yup, been using them for nearly four years – spend at least two hours a day in the car and they’ve been an absolute revelation! Use audible, and get through at least a couple a month.

The narrator can make or break a book, and I’ve often chosen books as much by narrator as author; Sean Barrett, Jonathan Keeble and Steven Pacey are great – the latter was an actor in ‘Blakes Seven’!

Sean Barrett narrated the Jo Nesbo books – well worth investigating if you like thrillers.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bikebouy
    Free Member

Alan Bennett – Smut. It’s quite hilarious.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

If you sign up to Audible it’s £15 a month for 2 credits and each book is a credit so essentially its £15 for 2 books, bit odd because it’s a flat rate whether you download a 20min short story or a 38hr unabridged epic.

As above, most newish books are available.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Recommended:

“Gulliver’s Travels” narrated by Robert Hardy – brilliant!

“Life of Pi”

“Scoop!”

jonahtonto
    Free Member

as above, its all about the narrator, which is why the harry potter books are great, stephen fry reading you stories 🙂 wish morgan freeman would do some

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Bill Bryson got me through many hours of motor way driving.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I’ve become addicted to them of late. My particular favourite has been ‘I, Partridge. We need to talk about Alan’ narrated by none other than the great man himself.

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

I listen to loads, often lee child (Jack Reacher) and the like. Narrator does indeed make it, Dick Hill is particularly good. Currently listening to the pacific by Hugh Ambrose, very very good.

z1ppy

Can only agree with the above, made my hour each way commute much more bearable. Can’t believe how expensive they are though… Sci-fi is my genre but I did throughly enjoy the Smiley series. I actually have 4 real books from authors I really like, that I just haven’t bothered to read yet (found an audio version of one of the book & am conflicted as to which version to ‘read’ first!)

manton69

Have you lot not actually used a library at all? Ours even lets you download stuff. So it is not expensive, or illegal, and get to support a valuable local asset. The best bit for ours is that there is a great coffee shop and cakes so what more could you want?

Cletus
    Free Member

Audible looks good but is crazily expensive. For £15 a month I would expect unlimited downloads rather than just two.

I would expect Amazon/ Google/Apple to start undercutting them in the near future.

singletracksurfer

or 7.99 for 1 credit (book) a month (you get 1 free to start with too).

househusband
    Free Member

Audible looks good but is crazily expensive. For £15 a month I would expect unlimited downloads rather than just two.

I would expect Amazon/ Google/Apple to start undercutting them in the near future.

I *think* that Audible is part of Amazon, but stand to be corrected.

I do compare the prices of books between Audible and iTunes and have only found iTunes to be cheaper than the cost of my Audible subscription once or twice.

AFAIK Google doesn’t do audiobooks but it may just be a matter of time before they do!

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I see itunes have some audiobooks for under a fiver so will give a few of those a whirl to begin with, i was wondering about the narrators so will look out for some of the ones mentioned. Is there a review of audiobook narrators anywhere.

blurty

There is some good free stuff at PodioBooks. I particulalrly liked the ‘Tales from the Golden Age of the Solar Clipper’

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anybody listen to Audiobooks?’ is closed to new replies.