Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 287 total)
  • Anybody know STW member Watsontony?
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’m sorry but in this day and age, you can’t ‘be without the internet for a week’. Even more so when you’re in the process of selling stuff. I agree with the OP, I’d be worried if I’d paid for something however small (but £40 bars aren’t a cheap thing).

As said, if you’re in the process of selling stuff you should make an effort to be in contact with your buyers. Especially when you’re selling the same item twice!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m sorry but in this day and age, you can’t ‘be without the internet for a week’.

Ever been to less developed areas? Like Sub-Saharan Africa? Or Basingstoke? 😉

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

actually, I stand corrected. watsontony lives in Blackburn apparently so there you are. The third world…

nealglover
    Free Member

Ever been to less developed areas? Like Sub-Saharan Africa? Or Basingstoke?

Has Rockon Tommy ?? 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

But why did two people get emails saying they would be posted?

I’m confused, if I paid for something and then found out so did someone else id be pretty miffed too.

Watsup this isnt aimed at you specifically just to say I think the op and exup acted on what evidence they have.

The pinkbike ban is coincidental but wouldn’t have felt like that to me as the buyer
    Given what was known at the time it was not an overreaction as the cause was mainly him selling bars to two people at the same time which is easily avoided. Then seein ghim banned elsewhere and no comms by various methods and I think many folk would have acted as the op tbh.
    Some bad luck for him to loose all means of communication via internet and phone at the same time too for a week.
    If i was selling stuff i would have gone to say a library or a friends house or used works computer or someone elses phone or a cafe or a free wi fi spot to contact folk who would be expecting goods I said i had posted.

Crag
    Free Member

Seems there’s a lot of people round here with nothing better to do than sharpen pitchforks.

nealglover
    Free Member

Some bad luck for him to loose all means of communication via internet and phone at the same time too for a week.
    If i was selling stuff i would have gone to say a library or a friends house or used works computer or someone elses phone or a cafe or a free wi fi spot to contact folk who would be expecting goods I said i had posted.

Too right, without travelling to the middle of a desert is pretty much impossible to be without Internet access for a week if you actually want to find it.

It’s very easy not to care or bother though 😉

iain1775
    Free Member

Never mind not having Internet for a week, something’s I read on here make me wish it had never been invented

wwaswas

so, just to satisfy my curiosity…

Did watsontony actually agree sales with both parties or did one of them just assume they’d got the bars and make a payment whilst w_t was dealing with the other one and posting them out (possibly)?

teamslug
    Free Member

That crossed my mind wwaswas. Easily done

philfive
    Free Member

I think Exup should just apologise and stop being so stubborn.

when I opened this I thought it would be about watsontonys mates bike turning up.

patriotpro
    Free Member

I’m confused, if I paid for something and then found out so did someone else id be pretty miffed too.

It’s fair to expect an explanation for this.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

when I opened this I thought it would be about watsontonys mates bike turning up.

Was that the floro yellow Transition downhill bike that he commuted to work on and left in an outside bike shed?

bigjim

I’m sorry but in this day and age, you can’t ‘be without the internet for a week’

That’s a ridiculous thing to say and you know it.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’m sorry but in this day and age, you can’t ‘be without the internet for a week

That’s a moronic thing to say and you know it.

dannybgoode

Damn – although this mass debate had nothing to do with me whatsoever I still got my pitch fork AND scythe out ready for action.

Oh well, back they go…

He’s a witch – BURN HIM!

How do you know he’s a witch?

He looks like one…

Cheers

Danny B

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

That’s a ridiculous thing to say and you know it.

Not its not.

No its not.

Thanks for the concern though. Its good to know there are people out there telling me that what I know to be true is actually wrong. I don’t know how I’d cope without you.
    Thanks x

dannybgoode

OK DWB – I’ll bite.

Depends on what you me by ‘you can’t’

Do you mean you will cease to function, exist, be remembered by anyone up to and including your own family?

Or, do you mean that it is difficult to be in an area (of the UK in particular) that doesn’t have internet and thus its actually very hard to be away from the internet whether you like it or not and therefore you actually can’t get away from the web. You will be forced to use it wherever you are?

By ‘can’t’ do you mean its simply not permitted to be without the interent – is this by law or mere social etiquette?

Or, do you mean you, as in DWB, can’t imagine being without internet for a week and it is not something you would ever contemplate.

Only if you mean the last point are you right in any way what so ever…

Cheers

Danny B

Coyote
    Free Member

I sent Tony several emails, tried his phone, tried to contact him through ebay all to no avail. I’m sorry that it has come to this but think that there was sufficient evidence for me to become concerned. There is culpability on all sides, while I understand that the double payment may have caused a bit of confusion his end (although I have to ask why a double payment was allowed to happen, poor comms?)but we both got emails saying that payment had been revieved and the goods would be dispatched asap! I can also think of no reason why the at least the pedals could not have been dispatched when promised. All this, plus the Pinkbike information did make me think something was wrong. For this reason I aired my thoughts on the forum, rightly or wrongly, but it was posted in good faith by Chopchop, i.e. if you know Tony ask him to get in touch. Up until this afternoon I was of the belief that I was being scammed, for the reasons above, and for that reason i placed a winning bid on his shocks advertised on ebay, my rational being that I didn’t want anyone else to get stung. In retrospect, and with the value of hindsite not with me, I appreciate that this was wrong, but again, to me it was a well intentioned action. I have emailed tony asking him to get in touch so that I can speak to him in person re this.

You bought something off a private seller on a classifieds and because you didn’t hear from him for a couple of days you trashed his ebay auction? Idiot.

Rorschach – Member

I’m sorry but in this day and age, you can’t ‘be without the internet for a week

One of the most moronic things I’ve heard this week. I was in Wales last week with very poor 3G reception so gave up on Internet till I got home. Not everyone sits in front of a computer all day.

tomhoward

DBW, consider this.

Broken router/hardware/ISP issues at home.
    No smartphone.
    Job that doesnt require internet access.

I’ve hardly suggested a ridiculous situation there, but it leaves one without easy internet access.

bigjim

If you firmly believe that, then I pity your life 😐

dannybgoode

Dear old Grannybgoode has lived for well over 93 years without an internet connection – beats watsontony’s week by a far stretch.

How’s she managed – simples, she’s never had or needed it…

Cheers

Danny B

hammerite
    Free Member

Blimey the truth comes out. Did Tim Berners-Lee take the credit for Grannybgoode’s invention?

dannybgoode

Thanks hammerite – now corrected…

Cheers

Danny B

nealglover
    Free Member

Dear old Grannybgoode has lived for well over 93 years with an internet connection – beats watsontony’s week by a far stretch.
    How’s she managed – simples, she’s never had or needed it…
    Cheers
    Danny B

She probably doesn’t sell much stuff on Forums and eBay though does she ?

If she did, she would probably find it quite useful to log on once in a while to find out who she needed to post stuff to.

dannybgoode

That is irrelevant NG – DWB’s statement is categorically that you can’t live without the internet for a week (and by inference longer than this also, I can’t see he meant you can’t for a week but you can for 2 weeks – just weeding out any pendantry here).

I am merely pointing out that you can. he offered no clarifying statements such as ‘you can’t if x, y, z…’.

Cheers

Danny B

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve been to loads of locations in the UK for weeks holiday where I’ve had no internet access via 3g.

Having said that I wouldn’t sell something if I was going to be in that position.

nealglover
    Free Member

That is irrelevant NG – DWB’s statement is categorically that you can’t live without the internet for a week

He didn’t say that you can’t “live” without the Internet.

If you are going to be pedantic, and pick one small part of his post to argue against, then expect other people to do the same 😉

His point (which you have ignored) was that if someone is in the process of selling stuff, they should make sure they are online to deal with it.

And I had presumed he meant that “in this day and age” it’s almost impossible to not be able to get online at all for a week if you actually need to.

But pedantry will win in the end, so I am out 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

Thanks for the concern though. Its good to know there are people out there telling me that what I know to be true is actually wrong. I don’t know how I’d cope without you.
    Thanks x

you’re as daft as a brush innit pal..?

I can click on my friends list on facebook right now and spot 50 folk that don’t have any internet connection.. plus 50 more with an unreliable one and at least another 100 without a smartphone..

the guy was incommunicado for a few days over the weekend.. a bit thoughtless maybe but good for him I reckon..

the witch hunters are out of order and your statement about interconnect connection is blummin myopic.. perhaps obtuse and pedantic at best..

that is all.. 😐

dannybgoode

As I’m in an argumentative mood I quote in full

‘I’m sorry but in this day and age, you can’t ‘be without the internet for a week’. Even more so when you’re in the process of selling stuff. I agree with the OP, I’d be worried if I’d paid for something however small (but £40 bars aren’t a cheap thing)’

That to me reads that you cannot live without the internet for more than a week – full stop.

And then that, woe betide if you are considering even attempting the impossible, you shouldn’t do so if you are selling something online.

Don’t out pendant me damn you… 😉

Cheers

Danny B

nealglover
    Free Member

That to me reads….

Fair enough.

Interpretations differ.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I’m still intrigued as to the whereabouts of my pedals btw…

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Are they nearly there yet?

wysiwyg – Member

Lol

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

nealglover
    Free Member

Ssssssshhhhhhhh.

Someone will tell you off for wanting what you’ve paid for 😉

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Another weekend passes by.. Meanwhile I’m shunting down the track on a velocipede

chopchop
    Free Member

If it’s any consolation, there’s been no sign of a refund or the bars either.

Edit: yes, I know Watsontony isnt a megastore online retailer blah blah and these things happen whilst dealing on the classifieds etc.

dannybgoode

Ooo goody – better get the pitchfork and scythe back out then. When’s the lynching? Haven’t been to a good ‘un in ages.

Cheers

Danny B

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Anyone received either a refund or goods yet?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 287 total)

The topic ‘Anybody know STW member Watsontony?’ is closed to new replies.