Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Anybody know anyone working in wool/spinning/felting etc
  • welshfarmer

I have 3 nice black fleeces here. If I take them to my wool buyer, he takes them but pays nothing for them. Zero. Now I know he will get something for them somewhere. I would therefore rather they went to someone who could use them, so if anyone wants 3 big texel cross black fleeces they are free to a collector (though alcholic donations are always welcome 🙂 ). I will even through in a coarse white welsh fleece!

Located in South East Wales.

andyl
    Free Member

just washing the fleece off our black ewe in a bucket outside as I’m going to re-stuff the dogs bed with it (stuffed it into hay nets to make it easier to pull out). Shame it goes to waste, I want to use our sheeps wool as insulation when I build a house.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

My ex is into felting in big way (small business) I’ll mail her.

welshfarmer

Cheers Eddy

nkhoma
    Free Member

I’ve got some friends in Llanbedr who felt as a hobby, my email is in my profile if it doesn’t go through with Eddy

cinnamon_girl

Pics of your very generous sheep please!

Cougar

OH is big into carding / dying / spinning. Showed her your post and she got a bit excited. (-:

We will almost certainly take one off your hands, though it’ll need to be posted. Let me know what it’ll cost for postage and bother?

Cougar

(ditto, Andy, where are you?)

scruffywelder
    Free Member

Might be worth bookmarking this page for future reference.

My old mum’s into spinning, weaving, dying, felting etc. She’s off at Woolfest this weekend…

big_n_daft
    Free Member

better stock up on the lant 😉

mountainman

Local guild of spinners weavers n dyers,my wife was a member of ceredigion guild when we lived in west wales,but live in Eire now so bit far to travel for wool.

Got local farmer contact thru work now,similar here in se ireland for farmers ,don’t get much for fleece ,so wife knits up hats for the donating farmers family from the wool.

welshfarmer

Hmm pics. Don’t think I have one of the recently shorn sheep but here is one from earlier who will give me a black fleece next year 🙂

The reason they need those woolly coats

andyl
    Free Member

(ditto, Andy, where are you?)

Somerset.

Have thrown away half of the black fleece (had been sat in the sheep trailer for a week as I forgot about it so a bit smelly) and washed the rest ready to re-stuff the dog bed but will remember for next year as it’s a shame to throw them away. Normally just let the shearer take the white fleeces as he adds them to his own and it’s not worth us messing around trying to sell them.

Got 3 lovely looking texel cross boys heading to the abatoir in the winter so wondering if we will get some nice skins back and how we get them treated. Never thought about it before as we’ve been breeding girls up to this year.

andyl
    Free Member

I was just looking for a photo and noticed google had stitched a series together into quite an amusing gif:

Little texel cross girl is walking over her a poor mum.

bearnecessities

That’s making my head hurt!

Cougar

Somerset

I was going to say “bother” but that’s where my OH’s mum lives. Could potentially combine a visit next time you’ve got spare.

Cougar

My old mum’s into spinning, weaving, dying, felting etc. She’s off at Woolfest this weekend…

OH has been looking forward to Woolfest for ages; couldn’t go in the end, she’s gutted.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Sadly my ex isn’t able to have them. But thanks for putting these out there.

andyl
    Free Member

sorry, hijacking your thread a bit here welshfarmer

Cheekly little girl when she was about a week old:

taken last week when she was abotu 6 weeks old (she’s on the right):

Don’t have many photos of the others as I’m not allowed to get attached to the boys as they are for the freezer 🙁

squirrelking
    Free Member

My missus has mates who do spinning, will send her a link.

Alphabet

Damn I’ve just thrown away 6 black, 1 brown and 1 white fleece from our sheep. I haven’t been able to get anyone interested before. I’ll bookmark this thread for next year. We’re up near Preston.

welshfarmer

Well I met 2 lovely STWers this evening. In a very fitting way, the 3 black fleeces were collected and ridden away on the back of a Kona Ute bike. A fair load to be fair but at least it is mostly downhill from my place to anywhere else so the journey home would have been far easier than the ride out to my place (especially with all that delicious beer in the panniers :-). It seems it is a small world.

Thanks to all who have shown an interest in this thread. It never ceases to amaze me the diversity of interests and knowledge that there is in the STW community. Long may it continue to be so.

welshfarmer

@ Andyl

with regard to getting sheepskins made. We have had many done over the years by Nicky Port in Herefordshire (one of only 2 tanneries left in the UK). She has a lot of info on here website, but of interest to you will be that your sheepskins will only be able to be tanned into rugs if the animal has not started to moult. This may begin as early as October for your breed/location so if you want to use the skins you may need to have them killed earlier than you thought! And make sure you can even get the skins back. Some places consider the skin as part payment for their part in the process!

Have a good read here

http://www.organicsheepskins.com/index.php/information-tanning_service/?k=19799:6::

andyl
    Free Member

Cheers for the link, as you say it might be a bit too soon for us though. We aimed late this year so it was after lambing on a friends farm in Devon so I’m not sure if they will be ready. I also wondered if the abattoir takes them, just like we do with the wool from shearing and we’ve got a couple of fields being made into hay by a local farmer in exchange for leaving us a little bit and he take the rest.

nkhoma
    Free Member

Thanks for the fleeces. Mrs Nkhoma hopes to convert them into felt slippers.

Great ride home – we were rather delighted not to come off going down your driveway…good technical challenge fully loaded.Decided to take the back roads and accept the hills as they came rather than stomp down the main road.

Hope to catch up with you at the next MBO.

Cougar

We’re up near Preston.

Argh! So am I. (-:

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Anybody know anyone working in wool/spinning/felting etc’ is closed to new replies.