Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Anybody installed AbsoluteBlack sub compact chainrings onto 105 5800 cranks?
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

Got the above and installed onto my cranks yesterday….somehow the inner chainring is positioned alot more inboard than the original and outside the range of movement of the front mech chain guide so can’t set the front mech up. Also only just clears the flare of the chain-stays and very close to the down tube. Flipped it around which moved it outboard just enough, but only just, but the gap between the outer and inner chainring was too small so that didn’t work, and would mean the entire force would be transmitted through the alloy chainring bolts rather than a proper location, so not acceptable really.

Looking at the design of the rings I can’t see how on earth it can work…at least on my bike, both rings end up further inboard than the standard rings. Packaging definitely says they’re the right rings for my cranks. I’ve emailed AB, but no response as yet.

So wondering if anyone else has had similar issues on with the 5800 crank. Thanks.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

sods law, just received response from AB..the chainrings are intended to be a small distance more inboard so the chain lines are a couple or so mm further inboard, so that explains it. Looks like I’ll need a spacer.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Anybody installed AbsoluteBlack sub compact chainrings onto 105 5800 cranks?’ is closed to new replies.