Anybody here run a fair bit?

Home Forum Chat Forum Anybody here run a fair bit?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Anybody here run a fair bit?
  • Premier Icon Tiger6791
    Subscriber

So Marathon in April.

Not really a runner but doing more now as training ramps up

Ran a 17-miler last week which included a 240m climb in the first 2.5km and all feels okay.

Wondering if it’s worth buying some new shoes before April as the ones I’ve got I’ve had forever..

Also is it worth getting them fitted on a treadmill thingy?

Here’s a bit of context

Half marathon in 50 days

finbar

Wondering if it’s worth buying some new shoes before April as the ones I’ve got I’ve had forever..

Probably, yes. Cushioning starts to compact and stop working after, say, 800 miles or so (depends on the shoe, your weight etc. obviously).

Sounds like you’ve got zero issues with your current ones – I’d just get an identical pair (or as close as poss).

Premier Icon Tiger6791
    Subscriber

the shoe, your weight

Asics Cheapish – Maybe 10 years old now
    Weight – A heavy 90kg 😯

digger95

I think Aasics have kept a consistent shape across most their range. They definately changed the trail attack 6 from the previous trail attack 5 (which was narrower) but the 5 was the ‘odd one out’.

A mate recently forked out £140 for a running assessment. He learned a lot about his running and perceived it good value – relevant only becasue all of the assessment was done outside. A treadmill is apprently inadequate as a place to asess you running properly.

Spin

If you can’t get something exactly the same make sure you’ve done a couple of long runs in them with the same socks you’ll use on the day.

bikebouy

Buy something now, wear them in before the event.

I run everyday, trail run that is. I’ve found new shoes from the same brand and make can be really different i.e.: I’ve 3’pairs of SportX3’s from Solomon and each are different fitting 😕

willard

As above. Break them in slowly, you want them worn in, but not worn out.

I’m doing the same as you (apart from actually doing a marathon) and my new shoes are waiting for tomorrow morning’s short run for their first outing. Despite them feeling like slippers compared to my last pair, if I had worn them on the 16.7 miler on Saturday, I’d have been walking on bleeding stumps on Sunday.

DanW

Probably, as above…

From my personal experience (some interesting research in the military trying to cut down injuries during basic training and a lot of time spent working with an Olympic coach) the most important thing when selecting a shoe to be efficient and injury free is to choose the one which is most comfortable. Simple as that and it doesn’t need to be any more complicated. Don’t worry about how your feet look to move on a treadmill or any of that other sales BS. A full, proper running analysis is worthwhile and can really help with technique and picking up areas of weakness with your body… but it has nothing to do with choosing shoes

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

Yes (new shoes) make sure they fit and do a long run in them to make sure they don’t rub in a weird way

I’ve never bothered with gait analysis, but that’s not to say it doesn’t have value

surfer

Gait analysis=snake oil

DanW

Gait analysis won’t tell you too much about running 😉 A full, proper biomechanical analysis of your running is rare to find but worthwhile with the right coach. The stuff the local running shop offers is however all about sales…

Premier Icon curiousyellow
    Subscriber

Gait analysis = snake oil
    Gait analysis on a treadmill = snake oil bath

Coaching and the Marathon Talk podcast are probably better alternatives. Good luck!

Btw, that was not a bad effort for Windsor for a newbie. I’ve run it before, and I’d run it again. It’s a very pleasant course for scenery, and the longest ever last mile!

spacemonkey

+1 buy soon and wear them in a bit.

FWIW I’ve been running (trail/road) in various pairs of Asics for 10+years after a successful fitting in a running shop. Recently I’ve been picking up pairs of similar Asics on eBay for a quarter of RRP as occasionally there are stores that have stock they want rid of. Saved £100s so far and still find them a perfect fit.

EDIT: don’t be afraid to run dirty pairs through the w/m at 30deg. Brings them up a treat and adds a bit of spring.

Premier Icon Tiger6791
    Subscriber

Bought some Asics today from Runners Need

They *made* me go on the treadmill and said i pronate a fair bit.

Anyway i’m £100 lighter now, I’ll see if they feel any different next time i’m out

Premier Icon wynne
    Subscriber

Got ‘professionally’ fitted a few years ago and ended up with a pair of shoes that were never right. Went back to my old Nikes. Pretty worn now but still very very comfortable. I’d echo the comments above re comfort – if you haven’t got any problems go with what you know.

surfer

They *made* me go on the treadmill and said i pronate a fair bit.

One of my training buddies (ran 52 mins for 10 at his best) used to pronate on one leg terribly. Never had a problem until he tried to “control” it. Had all kinds of problems. Threw the anti pronation shoes in the bin and went back to pronating in his “neutral” shoes 🙂

xico

Buy something now, wear them in before the event.

Absolutely, don’t try anything new for your marathon, which includes shoes, clothing, food the night before, pre-race food, and race drinks. Try them all out before the event and you should be fine. Good luck!

Oh, and start slowly and ease into it, and don’t be pulled along by the guys around you setting an unsustainable pace.

Premier Icon stever
    Subscriber

I run 95% offroad and all those shoes are low and simple. The only road shoes I ever had problems with were a pair I was flogged after being filmed on a treadmill. I buy cheap and neutral now. Hope you get on with the ASICS – forget shoes if so and enjoy your running 🙂

bikebouy

Anyone out in shorts yet ?
    I know we’ve had some cold weather of late, it’s been long legs for me.. until today.. lovely to get shorts on the first time this year.

ml

@bikebouy – shorts all winter, apart from one day when the sleet was coming down hard and I was going out for a few hours. Was nice to feel the sun on my face when I ran on Tuesday lunchtime. Early morning runs are getting less dark now too. Ahhh.

Premier Icon wynne
    Subscriber

I’ve been out on some long runs in horrible weather over the winter in my SPECIAL shorts – More Mile weatherproof ones. Bit sweaty but keep the thighs warm.

Matt_SS_xc

I pronate pretty severely in neutral shoes. Hate the support.
    Fair analysis I agree ia nonsense, however it was a good decision to go somewhere and run on the treadmill. However….sometimes they just aren’t right. It will be annoying and is sometimes an expensive mistake but you will know after a few runs, don’t persist….

Premier Icon Tiger6791
    Subscriber

Went out and did 5K in the new shoes..

…. Felt slow and awkward… we’ll see

djambo

I pop out for the odd 5-8km. Was at risk of overheating yesterday. Had to take the gloves off after a couple of km and wished I only had one layer on!

Pieface

I’d say yes, get some new shoes. Just because you are Ok now doesn’t mean you won’t be next time.

As far as gait analysis goes, horses for courses but I’ve found its worth it, if for no otehr reason than you ahve some comeback if the shoes you buy are causing you problems.

And whatever people say, Hoka’s aren’t the magic bullet for everyone, and they are a control shoe in stealth.

surfer

and they are a control shoe in stealth.

What?

They are neutral (the ones I have) they just have a larger area of midsole and a “rocker plate” which has helped my stiff toe joint no end.
    They dont try to change your gait in the way a traditional “control” shoe does.

john_l

Anyone out in shorts yet ?

Yes! In love with Decathlon’s trail shorts at the moment.

Not in love with the heat rash on my stomach :/0

Pieface

I found they did – the extra wide sole with high arch supports forces your foot to roll to a flat level.

The wide and straight sole makes the shoe try to land flat horizontally. I found that they were more controlling than my Asics Gt1000s and the arch gave me tendonitis in the anterior tibialis. Shop gave me a full refund as it was a known issue apparently (begs the question why they were selling them in the first place).

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

shorts! no not yet, maybe in a couple of months, not yet though

surfer

I have the ATR the Bondi and the Mafate trail. None of them have an arch support that I can see. What model did you buy?

Pieface

Clayton.
    It has(d) a piece of foam on the outsole that rises in the arch. I found that this (which dug into my arch subtly) combined with the very flat sole made my foot rock into a flat landing. I just couldn’t help thinking that they were anything but neutral.

bikebouy

Even though it’s 12C here, still running in long legs.

The trails are sloppy gloop and slippy trail mud, mine will stay on for a few more weeks yet.

As for shoes feeling “slow” it’ll be the padding in the sole not transferring the “shock” up your leg. I think that might be a good thing.

Premier Icon Tiger6791
    Subscriber

Well just did 16k in new shoes, (& Shorts) starting to feel better but I’m still slower in these.

Pieface

I often feel slower in new shoes, I guess it could be because they’re less flexible than the old ones

johndoh

Tiger – are these shoes correcting your over-pronation? I tried and hated them (even though I do over-pronate). I went back to neutral shoes as I believe (and my physio agrees with me) that trying to correct what my body has done for its entire life could bring with it other issues.

Saying that, I did get an unconnected hamstring pull in January and only able to run for around 10 minutes now so it looks like my London Marathon place won’t be filled this year 🙁 Gutted.

Premier Icon Tiger6791
    Subscriber

these

https://runrepeat.com/asics-gt-2000-5

I think they just offer a bit more stability than my last pair

bikebouy

There is a lot of foam in the sole, I’d say they’ll bed in ok in a few weeks.

DanW

Tiger – are these shoes correcting your over-pronation? I tried and hated them (even though I do over-pronate). I went back to neutral shoes as I believe (and my physio agrees with me) that trying to correct what my body has done for its entire life could bring with it other issues.

Pronation of the foot when running is normal in everyone, elite athletes included. What is “over” pronation is debatable but more often than not this kind of motion of the feet comes from lack stability around the pelvis (eg weak glutes, etc). Buying shoes to try and fight what your body is doing just by looking at the feet is daft I agree…

wurzelcube

Kind of shoe related… I really recommend a decent pair of socks. Personally I love the Hilly dual skins as they eliminate any foot rub for me.

well i recently, after two years of knee probs, went to a local shop and was filmed running on their treadmill and even without any expertise even i could see that my ankles were going in hugely with my shoes (bought using internet wisdom) and that by working through a number of pairs the overpronation lessened massively.

the ‘bath of snake oil’ has resulted in a far nicer running experience for me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Anybody here run a fair bit?’ is closed to new replies.