Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anybody got an xs (suit 4ft 10 woman) road/hybrid bike (Oxfordish)
  • gusamc
    Free Member

Hi

after getting gf a shot on a xs road suitable bike, as I’m considering getting her something for road use so I’m hoping I can blag her a go on something just to see if we think it’s a good idea.

Apart from the obvious 4ft 10 height/lack of choice issue she has a plated shoulder (restricted movement) so I’m not sure that drop bars would be comfortable for her and she’s not a greatly experienced cyclist so I’m not sure if she will like the skinny tyre no suspension experience (but she gets on fine on a 13″ Myka mtb)

Anyway if you have something suitable that’s not too far (Wantage) that she could have a try on I’d be happy to meet at a pub etc.

Thanks

gusamc
    Free Member

sorry, self bumped for weekenders

mtbfix

We have a small Principia that the mrs has barely used over the years. It is set up with flat bars. It is a 53cm I think but may be too big. I think the ETT is 53 also. We are in south oxon if you want a try at some point.

matt_outandabout

Mrs_oab has Cannondale F900SL XS (she is 5′ ) – silly light, can lock out suspension forks. The fit is great. Slap some tiny slicks on and it would be a great commuting / road bike. They are quite cheap second hand, as they are ‘old tools’.
    I doubt there is much gain from going bigger wheels – someone at the office is similar size and rides a 700c hybrid, in a frame size too big and it looks so stretched out and difficult to manage.

robdob
    Free Member

This is my wifes XS Specialized Vita:

My wife is 4’11”

She absolutely adores it – I bought it as a surprise one year and she has always found it very comfortable. All the finishing kit on it is as standard – Spesh saddles are so good for ladies, grips are great. Some people might say “you could have got xxxxx spec for the same price” but go for comfort on the bike above everything else. She’s not a very keen cyclist but has done 40-50 mile days on it with no problems (she’s not fit as she would admit). It isn’t a racy position either, just right (not stupidly upright but not stretched out either).

All I did was add mudguards and a rack.

I have heard that XS size Vita’s are quite rare so you’re unlikely to see one in a shop to try out….maybe a Specialized Concept would be worth a try though.

gusamc
    Free Member

cheers guys

mtbfix – could you bung us an email I’m on <forumname>@hotmail.com

robdob – whereabouts are you – had already seen Vita xs and thought it might be the ‘one’, they do come up on gumtree/ebay, but would love her to try before buying (and want sh to save cost)

matt – cheers, will add that to searchlist (*you’re in Scotland I think)

robdob
    Free Member

I’m in Yorkshire I’m afraid.
    I’ve not seen many XS frames on eBay – a lot of S size. Make sure of the size before you bid!

They do seem to go for a fair bit second hand, keep their value well (not that I’ll ever sell ours!)

shifter
    Free Member

Luath?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

53/53cm will be WAY too big. I am 5’10 and ride 55cm top tubes (my Lapierre is actually a 52cm seat tube due to frame design).

My better half has 2 Kona Lisa RDs in small sizes 46 and 48cm IIRC (older 46 one is wintered up, newer 48 one is her summer PAJ). She is 5’4″ but has loads of seatpost showing and running 90mm stems, the previous owner of the 46 was 5’2″ and also had mucho seatpost and a decent length stem. She got the 48 new-old-stock as frame only from CRC, who are selling the whole bike (not a great price though when the frame and fork was £150!).

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=105311

TiRed

We have an XS Giant Avail 2 with Tiagra groupset and drop bars. It’s a lovely bike and is ridden by my 13yo son who is the same size as your wife. They aren’t easy to find, so I am not surprised you can’t just test one (we didn’t, I extrapolated from a Small in the Giant shop). But if you fancy a day trip to Windsor, drop me a line and you are welcome to try it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anybody got an xs (suit 4ft 10 woman) road/hybrid bike (Oxfordish)’ is closed to new replies.