Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • Anybody got a Surly Krampus yet? Or waiting for one?
  • MrTall
    Free Member

I know Charlie the BikeMonger is due in his first build kits today but i’m guessing there must be a few knocking around already?

I’ll be having a test ride on one to see if they’re as much fun as all the reviews i’ve read suggest.

The usual US pricing applies though, £1699 here and £1250 there 🙁

I also assumed the build kits were frame forks and wheels but it appears that it’s not fully built wheels, just the rim, tyre (non folding 27tpi ‘cheaper’ version) and tube so new hubs and build cost would need to be factored in if i went for a build kit.

I really like the look of them but pushing £2000 for a heavy steel rigid bike seems a tad steep to say the least? Guess its the price of being an early adopter of a potential new platform.

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

No and no.

nbt

I understand that ChrisF will be riding one at Hit The North tomorrow as part of the Keep Pedalling Fatbike team – so Keep Pedalling (Manchester) have got one

charliedontsurf

They arrived yesterday, and heading out for delivery tomorrow.

I have one medium kit Left…. ( http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/surly-krampus-29er-x-3-29-frame–forks-build-kit—pre-orders-2936-p.asp. ) Which is frame fork rims tape tubes and the 120tpi folding tyres. At £1100. So you really just need a donor bike for gears and hubs etc and you are in.

The demo will be an XL largely due to me being tall and surly not having enough larges to cover demand.

The uk vs usa pricing is the usual, but add VAT and duty and shipping and you are in the same place.
    $1950 usd or £1699 gbp.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

See Tim @ Sideways Facebook/ Twitter feed.. he was building one up last night.

As was EdBikes…

MrTall
    Free Member

Let us know once the demo bike is up and running Charlie and i’ll book up a trip to the seaside…..

Make sure you post up plenty of pics once it’s done 🙂

Sanny
    Free Member

Dave at Law Cycles and Dave at Bothy should be able to help as I gather both are getting them in.

VAT and Import duty are a killer. I was looking at 35% combined on top of the shipping and purchase costs when I was looking for my Beargrease. Fortunately, I got lucky and managed to get one of the VERY few that landed in the UK from Dave at Law Cycles.

I suspect if you want one, you’d better order it now as if they are anywhere near as popular as Fat Bikes this year, you may find they are all gone before you even get the chance to test ride one. 😯 If you don’t like it, you can always punt it!

Cheers

Sanny

Sanny
    Free Member

Dave at Law Cycles and Dave at Bothy should be able to help as I gather both are getting them in.

VAT and Import duty are a killer. I was looking at 35% combined on top of the shipping and purchase costs when I was looking for my Beargrease. Fortunately, I got lucky and managed to get one of the VERY few that landed in the UK from Dave at Law Cycles.

I suspect if you want one, you’d better order it now as if they are anywhere near as popular as Fat Bikes this year, you may find they are all gone before you even get the chance to test ride one. 😯 If you don’t like it, you can always punt it!

Cheers

Sanny

cupra
    Free Member

Mine is on its way 🙂 Build kit and complete wheels. Will be stripping the bits of another bike for it. Should be with me middle of next week.

nbt

Keep pedalling (as mentioned above) do have one in already, ChrisF was riding it at Hit The North

Hit The North 4 by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

mattjg
    Free Member

Let us know how you get on cupra pls.

cupra
    Free Member

mattjg – will do. Big thanks to Keep Pedalling 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

you may find they are all gone before you even get the chance to test ride one. If you don’t like it, you can always punt it!

It seems that way but at £1700 for a full build, quite a punt.

charliedontsurf

Getting there… Xt cranks, whammy bar, faithful old race face XL post, a saddle I rode to Scotland on. 80mm salsa stem.

Tomorrow:
    King Dread set
    Wheels and knardy rabbit stuff
    Dangley bits
    Esi EXTRA chunky grips
    Carbon avids
    Gusset nitro pedals
    And maybe a maiden voyage.

takisawa2

Charlie…if you get a chance, how about seeing if the front wheel will fit in your SIR.9 I see in the background…

charliedontsurf

No worries, I will let you know.

But more tyres and rims are not due til the end of April.

I will check a monkey too.

takisawa2

Thanks Charlie.

mattjg
    Free Member

get it on the dirt (snow!) Charlie!

lcj

Knard in a KM fork(but not on a rabbit hole) here: http://forums.mtbr.com/surly/lets-see-your-km-builds-490622-27.html

cupra
    Free Member

My plan is for this to be my only mtb. It will be set-up 1×9 initially as that is what the donor bits are. I have a set of normal 29er mtb wheels and a ss 29er rear and I can easily whip out the 3″ knards and slot in a ‘normal’ 2.1 if I feel the need, or with a few minutes set up run it ss. Next week I’ll know if this will work in reality or not!

mattjg
    Free Member

Look forwards to hearing how you get on. I’d love a look/go if you are mediumish and anywhere near Surrey.

I need to be stopped before I drop £2k or more for a FS 29er!

cupra
    Free Member

If you fancy popping up to Scotland……

mattjg
    Free Member

thx … probably cheaper to buy one!

charliedontsurf

grrrr… wheel builder called. going to be a few days for the wheels.
    mid week maiden voyage now.

mattjg
    Free Member

do it yourself! you’re a bike shop!

singlespeedstu

The one in Sideways Cycles yesterday looked very nice indeed.

charliedontsurf

im a bike shop, not a hweel builder… and if i made my own wheels I would not be able to upset my wheel builder with offset surly rim fat
    weirdness.

takisawa2

Bikemonger…your like a kid in a bike shop. 🙂

charliedontsurf

Yep indeed.

Maturity is an overreaction to reality.

A mountain biking sheep once told me that.

gil_

Here’s a little review from Sunday’s ride

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=244926

I built my wheels ;~)

Ringo
    Free Member

Does the tyre actually come out at 3″ wide at it’s widest I’m just trying to work out if I can fit one in my frame

Drac

They’re out there yes. One Sidways Tim’s from last week.

Krampus 1st ride by Steve J Makin, on Flickr

bedmaker

Frame should land tomorrow but so far I have one monster truck wheel 🙂
    [/url]
    Untitled by LOVATSTOVES, on Flickr[/img]

singlespeedstu

I’ve just found somewhere with a build kit left in my size.

I’ve also just sold something for the same sort of price as a build kit.

Mmm. What am I going to do now then? 😆

bedmaker

May as well do it right now SSStu, you know resistance can only last a few days at most.
    What if someone else is just about to buy YOUR new bike, the very thought!

Can’t wait to get this thing rolling 🙂

singlespeedstu

You’re not helping…

I’d not even though about one until i went to pick up a new frame and fork last week.

I hate it when bike shop owners leave great looking bikes just lying around for people to get tempted by. 😈

charliedontsurf

Get it… They are so rare, I could of sold my only spare build kit six times in one day…. Even other shops got in touch. So if there is one, and it’s the right size… Get it.. You will be old one day.

singlespeedstu

I’m just negotiating the right price as i type. 🙂

charliedontsurf

Did you get it?

takisawa2

I reckon he was gazumped.

That can happen in the south, I saw it on Panorama once.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Anybody got a Surly Krampus yet? Or waiting for one?’ is closed to new replies.