Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Anybody got a really lightweight singlespeed ?
  • righog
    Free Member

I bought a Inbred singlespeed frame and built it up to see if I would like it. I am really enjoying it, and it makes less challenging routes really interesting. As I get older ( and the injuries are pilling up) I can see my riding, heading more in this direction. So was wondering what high end, low weight single speed options were out there. As usual pictures would be great.

Stoner
    Free Member

My Ti-29er is now as light as Im going to try and make it: 9.6Kg / 21.1lbs

First time out on it last night for ages and it was magnificent. Fallen back in love with it again. Built some new wheels for it this winter – stans on XTR with rocket rons tubless – v light.

On-One fleegle bars, thomson stem, Van Nic Ti post, Middleburn crank with a Tazzy one-key on it. SLX brakes (just swapped my XTR’s off as they need a bleed and some tlc – theyre getting on a bit). Twin Surly Tuggnuts at the back for super security – as I was finding that my honking could move the QR in the NDS slotted drop out just enough to rub the tyre on the DS chainstay. And, of course, a se of Jeff Jones Ti truss forks which weight nowt.

p7rich
    Free Member

Switch the frame for a Whippet? Exact same geo as an Inbred, but carbon. I’ve been riding a SS Whippet for nearly 2 years and love it. Mine is 22-23lbs without any real effort to build light.

qwerty
    Free Member

Relatively

Edric64
    Free Member

853 inbred is 25lb with some basic wheels, cranks and finishing kit

RobHilton
    Free Member

Just finished knocking together a whippet here; I am a fan of sturdy bikes so it seems a bit take-the-piss-light ATM, but I’m sure I’ll get used to it :).

righog
    Free Member

Stoner, that looks great, just the kind of thing I was wondering about. I made the mistake of buying a 50 mm stem ( which I love on the Soul and Five) but it is just too short for the Inbred. BTW, positioning of the Fleegle bars..I have lined the dogs face up with the hole in the stem.

rich, again I was wondering what a whippet frame would be like, what forks do you use ?

Thanks All 🙂

fr0sty
    Free Member

Short of anything carbon, it’s all a compromise. I used a Paul single speed hub and a few other bits to bring the weight down, but it’s neither here nor there attached to a steel frame…

My Unit in race mode.

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers rig hog.

It’s taken a few years to get there. It’s pretty much the only bike I ride off road save for my pompetamine. Ive stripped my front suspension/geared bike – just didnt like riding it after the Ti29er.

righog
    Free Member

This was before I had ridden a single speed but it stuck in my memory for being under 19 lbs. Fat cyclists Superfly. Worth a read.

Fattys 19 lbs Superfly

It’s about half way down the page !

Gotama
    Free Member

Someone on here has an niner air9c set up as single speed which is probably where you want to be if you want lightweight and can throw some spondoolies at it. It also looks lovely, aside from the red chain which is a personal thing I guess.

p7rich
    Free Member

rich, again I was wondering what a whippet frame would be like, what forks do you use ?

SIDs. 100mm i think. I believe it can take 120mm though.

p7rich
    Free Member

Here she is:

tmb467
    Free Member

A steel GT tequesta with original forks, stem, post and bars

Alex rims / cheap hubs / 1.75″ tyres

White paint (which weighs less cos there’s no colour in it)

A smidgen under 25lb.

EDIT – I know that’s not lightweight but I like it

righog
    Free Member

That looks great rich, I guess my cheapest route would be a whippet frame and swap everything around.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Got niner forks on now

Candodavid
    Free Member

Got a Curtis 853 that’s up for sale imminently.
    19.4 lbs with a RC31ti or 21.5lb with a Sid xx

somafunk

I’ve got a pretty lightweight Salsa Juan Solo, scandium frame and slr wheels – not sure exactly what it weighs but certainly well under 20lbs with the fox fx80 fork, quite a bit lighter still with a pace rigid.

I did have it for sale on here for £400 but i’m now going to keep it.

An old pic of it,

wwaswas

crap pic;

less crap;

this was pretty light too;

mattjg
    Free Member

Salsa Selma, keep an eye for them 2nd hand, scandium with carbon chainstays, near weightless. Rocketship.

Now running a Canfield Yelli Screamy SS with 120mm and a Reverb, it’s huge fun but not up there in lightweight. Worth it though. Grin machine.

I got lucky with the chain tensioning, but it soon slacked off, running a hanger based tensioner now.

kcal

Don’t have pics, but Kona Kilauea I think weighs in around 22 lbs or something as I’ve set it up. Nothing particularly light on it (RC31s I guess) but simple Vs rather than discs might help, and carbon bars as well..

There’s some proper light bikes on this thread.

10.83kg of Qoroz.

Belt drive and Lefty help.
    It’s now got plastic bottle cages, which help a bit more.

I could lose the bar ends and fit 140m discs, but I don’t think I’d get it below 10kg.

righog
    Free Member

Here is my heavy boy.

feisty
    Free Member

I have a 18.5 lb On One Scandal 26″ with carbon lefty (was 16.5 lb with rigid fork) which I am looking to sell

I am now riding a Niner Air 9 Carbon which is 22 lbs dead but I have some new wheels and parts which should get me to 20.5 lbs

8)

Stoner
    Free Member

16.5 lb

*cough*

how the hell do you get to that weight without helium in the tyres?

tomhoward

image by tom.howard.562, on Flickr

Last weigh in was 25lbs and its been on a diet since then. Build is light yet strong (certainly wasn’t cheap!)

Inbred slot dropout 18″
    Reba team w/20mm axle
    Pro 2 on singletrack rims 135×10 bolt up rear axle
    Conti vertical tyres
    XTR crank and bb
    Renthal sr4 32t ring un branded 16t sprocket
    Gusset Bling slink chain
    Hope tech x2 brakes w/183 & 160 rotors
    Ti railed bel air
    Thomson stem w/ ti bolts
    Easton monkeylite dh carbon bars
    Thomson masterpiece seat post
    Hope qr clamp
    Xt trail pedals
    Specialized enduro grips
    King headset

Reckon I could lose a lb maybe 2 without spending silly money or getting a new frame.

epicyclo

26.7lbs

Fairly light for a fatbike

Stoner
    Free Member

that looks A LOT of fun, epicyclo.

benz
    Free Member

Mmm….awaiting front wheel build for my budget special, so no pics yet.

Carbon frame from ebay. 1.2 kg
    Trigon full carbon rigid forks from STW classifieds. 510g
    Will be built up using some USE stuff I had in the garage – stem, bars, post.
    Basic cheap Deore brakes from crc when they were cheap
    Wheels are nothing special, being Superstar rims with Hope SS specific rear hub with Pro 2 Evo front Hub.
    Nobby Nic and Racing Ralph.

Should be pretty light enough for me and fairly cheap too.

djflexure

This probably qualifies.
    I’m loving the lack of bulk. Genuinely surprised at what I can climb (new to SS).

[/url]
    IMG_0663 by djflexure, on Flickr[/img]
    And one of me gooning on it.

[/url]
    HONC_SPB by djflexure, on Flickr[/img]

mattjg
    Free Member

^^ top pic 6013!

epicyclo

Stoner – Member
    that looks A LOT of fun, epicyclo.

Oh it is. Makes me look like a much better rider than I really am. You’d love it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

There’s a few of us on Niners on here.
    I’ve a One9 SS rigid and it’s down to 18lbs
    Flange has the Air9C with danglies on it and I think it’s 19lbs
    Another guy from up North also has a sexy black One9 SS rigid and I think his is down to 19lbs (or so)
    A few guys run Air9C’s with boingy forks on hitting 21lbs..

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@djflexure

Was waiting for a Tranny to show up. How much hassle is it to fold it away? Very jealous too.

flange
    Free Member

This….

Was a fraction under 17lbs set up as a singlespeed and without bar ends. Probably could have gone a bit lighter if I’d swapped out the Tune rear hub for the SS king one I have. I also didn’t try it with the reynolds so again, could have maybe gone a little lighter. Amazed that a scandal got to sub 17lbs, they’re not that light to start with!

munrobiker
    Free Member

17lbs for this. It was phenomenal to ride- you just didn’t need gears to get up the hills. Surprisingly capable down too because it just sort of bounced over everything.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

My ibis ti mojo was 16.75lbs – rigid black sheep fork. No pics whilst i’m at work i’m afraid.

thomthumb
    Free Member

this is around 20lbs with carbon rigids. nice bike. nothing too fancy on it either.

Sam

This got down to under 17 lbs with lighter brakes and seatpost.

dizcostix
    Free Member

14lbs i reckon

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Anybody got a really lightweight singlespeed ?’ is closed to new replies.