• This topic has 21 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Anybody got a Bird Zero AM ?
  • crapjumper
    Free Member

Hi all , has anybody got a mk3 one of these ? I’ve never been too confident on bumps and jumps when riding my full sussers over the years ( as my username also suggests) . I was a lot more confident on a hardtail so I’ve been looking at the Bird Zero AM frame to build up . How do you find it and would you recommend one ? Thanks. Mark

liamhutch89
    Free Member

Looks to be a good bike but potentially a bit on the long side if jumping / learning jumping is the priority.

Look how short dirt jump bikes are. Of course shorter also means less stable on trails so there’s generally somewhat of a compromise.

Disclaimer: haven’t ridden it

crapjumper
    Free Member

It’s not so much learning to jump but more like I was fine on a hardtail on drops and jumps and nowhere near as confident on a full suspension bike . Just usual trail centre stuff and reds were usually my limit on a full susser

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve got a Mk2 – well, the original Zero AM before the slightly longer and slacker boost version. It’s great! You can size up or down with a long dropper post to get the reach you want. Personally I’d err on the shorter side, I’m 5’10.5” on a medium (static reach 436, sagged ~455).

Clearly it’s not a dirt jumper but I don’t think that’s what you’re asking about! They’re short for tricks and steep jump faces.

chiefgrooveguru

What’s your full-sus?

crapjumper
    Free Member

On one codeine 650b and an older 26 el guapo

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So how does this subliminal messaging work? I have no space for a HT, I’m sure I don’t need one, or really want one and now I’m doing a spec deliberation on the bird website!! Must be C2W time again…..

crapjumper
    Free Member

Mikewsmith, genuine question and nothing subliminal . I fancy a zero am ht so I’m probably going to flog one of the other bikes to make way for it and I’m just after some real feedback from anyone who may have ridden one

iainc

Not quite an AM but I do have a Zero TR, which I bought just over a year ago. Very capable and confidence inspiring. My FS is a 2017 Anthem. I ride them on similar stuff, with Anthem generally used in drier conditions and bigger days in the hills. Natural xc stuff for me and some trail centre red grade stuff when weather is poor.

crapjumper
    Free Member

Iainc, how does the AM differ roughly from the TR geometry wise ?

malv173
    Free Member

I completely love my mk 2 am. I’m 6’1 and my frame is large.  Fits me perfectly and rides really nicely,  although I am by no means the most talented rider!

What is wrong with the codeine? I was very close to buying one of those frames, but a tightish budget meant no spare cash for a rear shock.

joebristol

Am – TR

I think the AM is longer and slacker. The TR is more traditional trail bike (still with modern geometry) whilst the AM is more of a hardcore hardtail. The AM is designed for a longer fork and more extreme steep terrain.

crapjumper
    Free Member

Malv173 there’s nothing wrong with the codeine , I just seem to remember being far more confident on a HT and am thinking if I’m going to get a HT it might as well be a Zero AM . No other reason than that really

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What is wrong with the codeine?

I’d be willing to bet the OPs shock set up is a mess, and that’s what affects his jumping so much.

weeksy

I’d be willing to bet the OPs shock set up is a mess, and that’s what affects his jumping so much.

He needs a Shockwiz 😉

crapjumper
    Free Member

You could be right there

superstu
    Free Member

I think the AM is longer and slacker

Slacker yes, but believe the TR actually has the longer reach.

joebristol

If you compare large with large the am boost 2019 has a longer reach and slacker head angle than the TR according to the frame charts. ETT is the same.

If you compare ML in the boost with the M in the tr (same size seat tubes) then the AM is also a longer reach.

chiefgrooveguru

“Slacker yes, but believe the TR actually has the longer reach.”

That was the case with the original AM but not the current boost version.

I would twiddle (in an organised fashion) with your suspension. I’m far from great at jumping and I find getting the rebound balanced front to rear matters a lot to me getting airborne confidently.

greavo

I have a medium non-boost version that I built up myself. Great bike. I’m small (5ft 7) so I put a 30mm stem on to help with reach. For a “long” bike it corners and changes direction really well and is very stable jumping. On smooth / flowing reds and jumps it’s awesome. I’d highly recommend one.

crapjumper
    Free Member

Ok thanks all for the info

iainc

crapjumper

Iainc, how does the AM differ roughly from the TR geometry wise ?

I think others have answered and the relative geo has changed a bit in the last year. The TR is a bit more xc orientated than the AM, designed round a 130 fork while the AM is more like 140 I believe

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Anybody got a Bird Zero AM ?’ is closed to new replies.