Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Anybody gone from Smuggler to Sentinel?
  • davegt
    Free Member

My Spur post morphed into a different discussion….

So – has anybody changed to the Sentinel from the Smuggler? Just wondering what type of riding you do and why / why not the Sentinel is better / worse.

I dont think I could justify keeping both – my perception is they are not different enough to keep both

Thanks!

Dave

Whydot

I have both.

A 2017 Smuggler with a coil shock, Stan’s Flows and a more ‘trail’ build. And a 2019 Sentinel, in alloy, with a full heavy build, 4 pots, inserts and heavy tyres. Got the Sentinel for racing, uplifts and bigger rocky days. Tend to use the Smuggler for day to day riding and the Sentinel if I’m away for a weekend. Live in Notts, so tend to ride Derbyshire/Peaks regularly and I’d use the Smuggler for that.

I’m in a similar issue, there’s fairly significant overlap in them both, but I find the Smuggler more engaging to ride on tamer terrain than the Sentinel, and more suited to longer days in the saddle.

With the second hand market as it is at the moment, o should probably sell them both and build up a new Sentinel to do it all!

davegt
    Free Member

@Whydot thanks for taking the time to respond.

That’s really interesting. I guess my Smuggler is on the upper limit of the bike. Its running Xt 4 pots, EX511 wheels with rimpact inserts, 150mm Lyrik ultimate up front etc…

Wonder how much more capable the 2deg head angle and travel change make the Sentinel..

Interesting you find the Smuggler more suited to longer days in the saddle – what is it about it that makes it more suited?

In the summer I am regularly doing big mountain loops in the Caringorms. Say 70km and 1500-1800m of ascent and descent. I agree the Smuggler is good on those days but I actually assumed the Sentinel would be better.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Anybody gone from Smuggler to Sentinel?’ is closed to new replies.