Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Anybody ever cycled into Inverie, Knoydart?
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

I’m planning a trip there in October and want to cycle in and out from the East, has anybody done this? Are there any trails in the area?

krixmeister

Been several years since I was out there – walking. The walking path from Kinloch Hourn was not rideable then – would have been a several mile bicycle push.

There was a MTB magazine article several years ago (I forget which mag) where they rode/pushed in from Loch Arkaig and Sourlies. It’s definitely rideable (mostly) from Loch Arkaig to Sourlies, as I’ve done that bit on bicycle, but apparently mostly hike-a-bike in to Inverie from there.

A lovely place though. I think more suitable for hillwalking than cycling, though.

Deveron53
    Free Member

The Knoydart ferry website says there is a skills loop and some trails there. I can’t find out any more so far.

Deveron53
    Free Member

I just remembered – check Strava! Quite a few routes there. One of the climbs is an HC! I dunno how rideable it is though…

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

It most definitely is NOT rideable from Loch Arkaig to Sourlies, unless I went the wrong way! You’ll be able to ride on the well defined track to the west of Arkaig up through the hunting lodge but then up and over the fence the track turns indistinct and boggy. Once at the top it turns into a rocky lochan fest of pushing and swearing until the descent into Sourlies. It’s then possible to ride round the headland, given the tide, and onto the steep climb up and over to the fantastic descent into Inverie.
    A word of caution-that there place is/was infested with ticks so take a tool & wear leggings, especially for the hike a bike bits.
    Edit-although it’s a brutal wee route, it’s one of the most dramatic & scenic places in the UK. The fact that you can’t get there by car makes it all the more appealing. Must admit I wouldn’t bother going back the same way-instead I’d start at Spean Bridge-cycle west to Inverie-boat to Mallaig-cycle back to Spean Bridge. Ace.

Deveron53
    Free Member

I’m thinking ferry from Mallaig to Inverie now. I’ve found a few Strava segments so I feel happier that I can justify to the SO in taking my bike. I’m planning to go for an end of season ‘rest’ in a luxury apartment but I may decide to do the final SES at Largs then drive up and cross over on the Monday morning. I’m a Grand Vet now so the bones will be crumbling by then!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anybody ever cycled into Inverie, Knoydart?’ is closed to new replies.