Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Anybody else addicted to Amazon?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I’ve no parcels due today and I’m starting to sweat, beep and shake.

bikebouy
    Free Member

No.

Can’t remember the last time I used Amazon for anything, maybe 2009??

HTHs

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I try and avoid them. Mainly because they are tax dodging **** who treat their staff like shit.

Drac

It’s not unusual for me to get a parcel daily but then it’s not unusual for me to go a few months without one, I’m a long way off 9 years though.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Nope, I’ve stopped using them for most things and wont be renewing my prime subscription when it runs out. I still do a lot of online shopping but try to order from stores that maintain a high street presence wherever possible.

somouk
    Free Member

Yep, if I need something then first thing I do is look on Amazon. No matter how small or big an item.

Making a conscious effort not to order anything and waste cash in August!

MSP

Yeah, I have it bad.

I know they are evil tax dodging corporate whores, but they just make my life so much easier. Their customer service is excellent as well, I would rather buy electronics from them than anywhere else as if I have a problem I have never had a quibble from them returning or replacing an item.

jimdubleyou

try to order from stores that maintain a high street presence wherever possible.

Coming soon…

Amazon confirms locations for new checkout-free Amazon Go stores

footflaps

Yep, if I need something then first thing I do is look on Amazon. No matter how small or big an item.

Likewise, although in most cases they either don’t sell it or it’s over priced.

convert

I still do a lot of online shopping but try to order from stores that maintain a high street presence wherever possible.

On first impressions, I like the sentiment but then I think – when did I last go to the high street to buy something? I’m trying really hard to remember when. It genuinely might be a couple of years. If I’m thinking selfishly if the high street in every town closed down I don’t think I’d notice.

Edit – hang on, greetings cards (birthday, wedding, anniversary etc) I still buy those in an actual shop. That’s now the only thing I buy regularly on the high street.

I do need to spread the love a bit – too much Amazoning here. I have complete double standards – don’t go into Starbucks because of the tax thing but I am Amazon’s play thing.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

convert:

Oddly greeting cards is one of the things I buy online (I’m sooo contrary) I tend to get them from Etsy. The principle of spreading the love still applies as they tend to be hand made* and you’re buying directly from the maker.

* This isn’t always the case and a little research is sometimes needed to verify that someone hasn’t just setup a store front selling mass produced cards that they’re buying in bulk if that’s a thing that bothers anyone.

footflaps

but then I think – when did I last go to the high street to buy something? I’m trying really hard to remember when. It genuinely might be a couple of years. If I’m thinking selfishly if the high street in every town closed down I don’t think I’d notice.

Yep, I really wouldn’t miss it at all….

5thElefant
    Free Member

Last time I went in a shop was 2010, and that was the first time in years.

Amazon is one of the great wonders of the modern world.

FuzzyWuzzy

I buy a fair bit of tat on Amazon, mostly if bored on Friday afternoon’s – I blame Prime mostly. I don’t mind spending a tenner on something I don’t need that will probably break in a couple of months but if you ask me to also spend £1+ on delivery then I’m out :p

The Today’s Deals bit really annoys me though – they’re mostly (99.9999%) not bargains and it’s the same shite every day

tomhoward

Can’t remember when I last ordered from amazon.

Was genuinely shocked that they have ‘click and collect’ lockers in hospitals…

cynic-al
    Free Member

They are just the worst.

DrP

Was genuinely shocked that they have ‘click and collect’ lockers in hospitals…

I guess if you’re in hospital for several days/weeks, and need ‘stuff’, it makes COMPLETE sense, no?

Or one could order a gift for a sick relative.. Hmm..do amazon stock kidneys..??!
    DrP

johnnystorm

Yep, always the first place I look.

I reconcile with the tax dodging bit with the fact that they pay all the taxes they are asked to, just kike most people.

Hate the game, not the player.

convert

I guess if you’re in hospital for several days/weeks, and need ‘stuff’, it makes COMPLETE sense, no?

Or one could order a gift for a sick relative.. Hmm..do amazon stock kidneys..??!

Or you work there, do daft hours and hospital reception quite reasonably don’t take deliveries. Can’t think of a place more suited as a location to be honest.

willard

Does using AWS virtual machines count?

DrP

Or you work there, do daft hours and hospital reception quite reasonably don’t take deliveries. Can’t think of a place more suited as a location to be honest

Oh yeah, forgot about staff!!!

DrP

footflaps

Amazon is one of the great wonders of the modern world.

and Deliveroo! I can just press a button on my phone and 25 mins later dinner just appears…

Absolutely no reason to go into town now, don’t need to visit shops and all the restaurants will send via Deliveroo..

DrJ

I’m as guilty as anyone of ushering in the demise of Maplins etc by the reflex use of Amazon.

However, online shopping is not the pinnacle of existence that it could be. Two weeks after ordering a SIM online from EE, and after they sent me 2 that didn’t show up despite calls to their customer service line, I gave up on them and went into the Vodafone shop and had a pleasant experience getting it sorted within about 10 minutes.

footflaps

I’m as guilty as anyone of ushering in the demise of Maplins etc by the reflex use of Amazon

They did mainly sell over priced electrical tat. I’m amazed they lasted as long as they did.

tdog
    Free Member

I might just might be interestes if it weren’t for the fact that their pricing structure is all over the f place oh that and the amount of fake goods.

plus it’s a massive Co. who have an evil ethos towards their staff, avoid paying their fair share of tax.

I’m glad you have the sweats and shakes for supporting the top bosses at one of the big A’s. No doubt you buy the latest mobile and other products by the other big A!

P-Jay
    Free Member

I don’t use them much, although we don’t go a day in work without one of their boxes arriving, one of the subbies loves them.

I kind of assume they’re the online retailer for people who’ve never used any other online retailer.

I do all the purchasing in work, but I really don’t like them. Their site is a mess, they don’t sell a lot of stuff I need, which you think they would. The whole prime / business / 3rd party seller via Amazon thing is a hassle I can live without, their sales practices are a joke “This is £150 with Free Delivery” buy “This is £150 with Free Delivery in 4 weeks, or £20 tomorrow”.

Oh and despite all their optimization of humans, tax dodging and massive buying power, they’re NEVER the cheapest.

I will admit they’re good for one thing, Xmas shopping, get a list from the Mrs, buy the lot with one of their 1 month free Prime things, have the lot sent to work, get over the fact I could save money buying else later on.

rene59
    Free Member

I use it more than I should. When looking for something I just filter by selecting prime and 4 star rating. That seems to cut out majority of the crap. Only buy stuff that can be delivered to their lockers as I pass one on my way home. Get most things next day as long as I order before 8pm ish. With the free delivery as well I end up ordering things individually that I would normally forget to buy out at the shops like a clothes brush the other day there, a silicon spatula last week, even shoelaces a few weeks before that. It’s too easy.

convert

I kind of assume they’re the online retailer for people who’ve never used any other online retailer.

Not really. They are the online retailer for the lazy – and I count myself in that. I could buy veg cheaper and possibly better quality at the market than I do at Tesco. But I don’t, because I can’t be arsed. Same with Amazon. Example  – 5 mins ago I bought a USB charger thingy that you plug into a 12v socket in a car. I need it be Friday latest. I could have gone to http://www.usbchargerthingy.com but it’ll be fine enough quality and it might have been 50p cheaper but it was done faster that it took to type this sentence.

plyphon
    Free Member

I’ve noticed a lot recently that Amazon are not longer the default cheapest for certain goods. A lot of the times Argos of all stores comes up cheaper – and actually is easier to get the end product as London seems to have an Argos on every corner.

For example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Controller-Wireless-Adapter-Windows/dp/B01691M0QA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1532530441&sr=8-3&keywords=xbox+one+controller+windows+10

Amazon – £59.99

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7497465

Argos – £49.99

Ironically now online shopping is at all time highs, I’m getting more packages delayed, lost or damaged as couriers try to cut cost in a hyper-competitive delivery market. It’s become simpler again to just pop to Argos after reserving something on the way home and get it there and then.

Amazon are pretty good with returns, you can use their lockers. I’ll give them that.

sbob
    Free Member

I try and avoid them. Mainly because they are tax dodging **** who treat their staff like shit.

Amen. I also don’t fear human interaction.

Though I’ve just moved into a village with *no shops.

And I don’t currently drive.

Hmmmmm…

*four pubs and a gin distillery mind.

Drac

Are people genuinely shocked that you can buy some products cheaper elsewhere?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yeah kinda – one of the big points of online retailers is that they under cut physical retailers by doing away with the nasty business of human interaction, you kind of expect the biggest, most efficient player to be the cheapest.

Drac

Yeah kinda – one of the big points of online retailers is that they under cut physical retailers by doing away with the nasty business of human interaction, you kind of expect the biggest, most efficient player to be the cheapest.

Biggest hasn’t never meant the cheapest.

fasthaggis

This^^

Amen. I also don’t fear human interaction.

and this^^

Dickyboy

Had a friend who worked in one of their depots and from the tales he told I won’t touch them with a barge pole.

convert

I also don’t fear human interaction.

Your life has come to a pretty pass when you get your human interaction fix from Wayne, the nerdy bloke at the hifi shop or Jamie, the kid with the acne problem at Burtons. I find actual friends work well for human interaction. Are you that old boy that gets to the checkout at the supermarket one in front of you and it’s obvious they’ve not spoken to anyone other than their cat for 3 days and you’re stuck between feeling desperately sorry for them and wanting to vapourise them from the planet?

Drac

Are you that old boy that gets to the checkout at the supermarket one in front of you and it’s obvious they’ve not spoken to anyone other than their cat for 3 days and you’re stuck between feeling desperately sorry for them and wanting to vapourise them from the planet?

😂

CountZero

On first impressions, I like the sentiment but then I think – when did I last go to the high street to buy something? I’m trying really hard to remember when. It genuinely might be a couple of years. If I’m thinking selfishly if the high street in every town closed down I don’t think I’d notice.

I have a wander into town every Saturday afternoon, browse around Waterstones and make a note of any interesting looking books, sometimes buy one, pick up odds and ends from Wilco’s, maybe something from the Tesco that’s run out, or couldn’t get when doing the big shop at Morrisons; they had no lasted sesame oil when we went on Monday evening, so I’ll look in town, rather than make a special trip in the car, ‘cos it’s a rather long walk.

Of course, there are things I use Amazon for, along with other online retailers, but the town centre is a fifteen minute walk, and it gets me out of the house.

Drac

Of course, there are things I use Amazon for, along with other online retailers, but the town centre is a fifteen minute walk, and it gets me out of the house.

Aye sums it up and I do by a few things but it tends to be food, toiletries and such more than anything else. That said your Wilko post has reminded it’s half price on pick and mix this week.

plyphon
    Free Member

For years Amazon were the cheapest by some margin and pretty much dictated the price of electronics to the wider market. I know websites like eBuyer had scripts that would automatically match Amazon pricing whenever Amazon cut the price of a product, because if they didn’t they’d never sell anything.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Anybody else addicted to Amazon?’ is closed to new replies.