Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)
  • Anybody else a candidate and HATING the waiting today?
  • njee20
    Free Member

The web isn’t everything.

See, I’d have voted for you until then.

Weirdo. 😉

IdleJon

think it’s a reasonable criticism, not “picking people apart” – if you’ve got a party website, at least include a link to the policies. Particularly if one of your candidates is an expert web developer

But good luck anyway!

And also, if someone can’t take a gentle bit of criticism on here, they aren’t going to be much use in politics.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Fair point mogrim, that’s constructive criticism, but I wasn’t referring to that.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

How can a party expect the electorate to give them the power to run the country when they can’t even organise a half remotely decent website?

Well the conservatives ARE running the country and they can’t manage a half decent leaflet…

soobalias
    Free Member

pics of teh print media please.

allthegear
    Free Member

Not entirely sure I can now. I know we can’t deliver things today. I might have to wait till after 10pm

njee20
    Free Member

Yes, I’d avoid jeopardising your chances now, it does all seem slightly draconian what you can/can’t do around voting!

allthegear
    Free Member

Actually, I quite like the way the Spanish have a whole day before polling day where no parties can work, to let people “reflect”

Rachel

onehundredthidiot

Can’t deliver stuff today? Michael Moore leaflet through my door around dawn this morning. Not that I was going to but definitely not voting for him after being woken at that time.

mefty
    Free Member

You can campaign on election day but not such that your causing problems near polling stations

mogrim

Actually, I quite like the way the Spanish have a whole day before polling day where no parties can work, to let people “reflect”

That’s the theory, anyway.

nickc

Good luck Rachel, just voted Greens here. (not norfolk).

camo16
    Free Member

What’s the electorate like in your neck of the woods, OP? I know, you love them, they’re the best etc etc, but is it likely/unlikely that you’ll get in?

All the best. Greens are probably the nicest people around IMO. 😉

bigjim

Well done, I voted Green today 😀

IdleJon

Greens are probably the nicest people around IMO.

I agree, I just wish they were standing in my area. (Con, Lab, LibDem, Plaid, UKIP. Jeez, what a choice.)

Rachel, just going back in this conversation, what are the best ways of spreading your message these days? I have never been on a local politician’s website and haven’t actually had many leaflets through the door. The closest I’ve come to speaking to a candidate was the Labour dimwit standing at the school gates the other day. (Yeah, let’s have a chat about politics while my kids charge around my legs..)

I’m assuming that social media use is increasing? Do most people just assume they know your policies?

cinnamon_girl

Can I doff my cap at you Rachel for having the courage to put yourself forward to serve your local community. I wish you much success and envy your public spirit.

PS Voted Green in local election.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Me? Oh no – I thought I spotted Mari Williams earlier (our local Labour candidate) she looked nervous, we’re in a very marginal seat – last time around the Tories got 17860 votes and Labour were second with 17666.

I suspect She’ll win, last time around there were a lot of Lib Dem boards in peoples gardens, a few Labour and a lot of Conservatives – I haven’t seen a single Lib Dem board this time, it’s a sea of red with a few islands of blue and a singular ukip board. Our MP has a bit of a buck-tooth smile and some naughty, but funny people have taken to defacing some of his posters with carrots.

Open question, are there a lots of boards about where you live? You can’t move for them here – people really do seem to want to promote their chosen team – on the main commuters roads near me more houses have boards big and small in their gardens than have none.

molgrips
    Free Member

P-Jay you live near me then as she is also my candidate 🙂

I think she will also win – it’ll only take a small swing nationally for Labour to regain the seat and I think they’re on for one.

sadexpunk

can i just ask a serious question as a naive voter please?

say you wanted ed miliband to win election cos you thought his policies would be best for britain. yet youre in rachels ‘ward'(?) and think she’d do more for your local area, or you hated your local labour bod.

who do you vote for? spose what im asking is…..do you vote local or national?

[EDIT] this has been my one and only election post, just something i wondered the other day. on the whole i try and stay away from it all.

molgrips
    Free Member

That’s a very difficult question which doens’t really have a good answer!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Not a candidate but hopefully I will be re-electing my boss to Parliament.

mefty
    Free Member

She is standing as a councillor so will have no impact on Miliband’s likelihood of becoming PM.

kcal

good luck, if you’d stood here I’d have voted for you anyway if that helps..

samunkim
    Free Member

Surely if you need help editing web-sites, generating false twitter followers and bogus endorsements …
    Grant Shapps(Cons) is your go-to guy for that !!

P-Jay
    Free Member

sadexpunk – Member

can i just ask a serious question as a naive voter please?

say you wanted ed miliband to win election cos you thought his policies would be best for britain. yet youre in rachels ‘ward'(?) and think she’d do more for your local area, or you hated your local labour bod.

[EDIT] this has been my one and only election post, just something i wondered the other day. on the whole i try and stay away from it all.

Agreed, it’s tricky – I’ve always thought a lot of people who’ll stand for Parties other than Lab/Con – you don’t join the Green Party hoping to be PM one day, so you can probably remove the “lust for power” bit of their drive for standing, but..

Ultimately maybe not tomorrow, but in a week or so either Ed or Dave will be PM, of that there is little doubt – and the party in power will usually have more of an impact on your day to day life than the party of your MP and if you want your local area to matter to Westminster, you’re better off having an MP as a member of the ruling party – actually it’s better to be in a marginal seat – safe seats no one really cares about.

HOWEVER, the main parties do carefully consider how many votes the smaller parties get and it can influence their polices, partly to counter the chances on these smaller parties becoming bigger in the 90’s and 2000s the Green Party grew, so the main parties cared more about environmental policies, now UKIP is on the rise you hear more about immigration and Europe from the main parties.

If you vote for Rachel, she may not win (hope you do Rachel, you seem nice) but the overall number of green votes this time around will influence the government – a green surge (which is expected) will push Green Party style policies forward with the Government.

aracer
    Free Member

Well to be fair, this one isn’t a lot better 😉
    http://www.drupal.org.uk/

pk13

Good luck and we’ll done for getting involved.

aracer
    Free Member

On here? I very much doubt it!
    Good luck!
    [/quote]

Found another one http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/polling-day-then/page/4#post-6893969

crankboy
    Free Member

My brother is a candidate for the local council in my home town it is a ward where it has been said if you pinned a red rosette on a pig they would elect the pig unfotuanaly the local labour party has really pushed the envelope on the theory and put up someone less articulate and more violent than a pig . According to those in the know half the local labour vote are claiming they will vote for my non labour brother in protest .He was hoping to avoid the embarrassment of losing his deposit now it looks like he could get elected.

willard

Any news yet Rachel??

mefty
    Free Member

Any news yet Rachel??

Are you trying to get her arrested?

bruceonabike
    Free Member

The web isn’t everything.

[quote] runs a local business providing website development[/quote]Compatible? Not exactly selling your services.

originally from Yorkshire but moved to Kings Lynn

Mountain biker???

These points aside I have a lot of time for the Greens, so good luck!

Kunstler

Does anyone look at the websites of the any of the parties anyway? I’ve read a ton of stuff leading up to today but nothing from a party’s website.

Good luck Rachel.

allthegear
    Free Member

Bruceonabike- yeah, I ended up here by accident after an interesting night at a friend’s birthday party. 😉

I just really like it, except it’s not exactly the mountainous of places!

Oh – and being brutally honest with when a website is the right thing is completely compatible with being a developer. I want to make great products that deliver returns. If they won’t do that, I’ll say so.

Won’t be any news till about 5pm tomorrow.

Rachel (tired but off to the overnight parliamentary count in a couple of hours…)

Trekster

Good luck Rachael 😆
    Nice eyes btw 😉

wysiwyg
    Free Member

/\ 🙄

Alphabet

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

bros
    Free Member

Hi Rachel, good on you for standing.

Out of interest, what does someone in your position do once the dust has settled on Monday morning?

allthegear
    Free Member

bros – looking at the results of this election where for example the Greens have 3.7% of the vote giving 1 seat and the SNP have 4.8% of the vote and 55 seats, I think I’ll be wanting to put some effort into voting reform!!

Oh – and we more than doubled our share of the parliamentary vote locally compared to last time 🙂

Rachel

bros
    Free Member

I thought holiday would be top of the list 😉

Good luck in your endeavours into voting reform

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Anybody else a candidate and HATING the waiting today?’ is closed to new replies.