Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anybody done a motorcycle refresher course?
  • MrSparkle

Thinking about doing one. Its been nearly 10 years since I last rode a bike so I’m bound to be pretty rusty. Have you done one? What did you think?
    Ta.

craigxxl
    Free Member

My mate did one after coming back to biking. He’d already been out with us a few times but admitted he never felt confident and even though we were taking it easy he felt very uncomfortable riding with us. He was going to give it all up again and another mate suggested a refresher cause and Bike Safe course. He did them both in that order. The refresher course was tailored to what he wanted and spent the morning on slow traffic and manoeuvring. In the afternoon they rode out to the local bike haunt along some nice twist roads whilst he was guided on his road positioning etc.
    The Bike Safe course he couldn’t praise enough and even though it was run by the police it was all in a relaxed manner concentrating on safe progress and observation. He came out if feeling more confident than he ever had, even before he stopped riding before.

jamesmio
    Free Member

BikeSafe is good (depending where you are, some forces have zero budget to run it properly though), IAM/RoSPA are good.

The best option is someone like Jim @ Enhanced Riding, who I’ve had a couple of training sessions with and genuinely cannot recommend highly enough.

Side note – I always find it amazing how folks will spend £500 a new motorbike lid, but baulk at the suggestion of paying for tuition/training.

MrSparkle

Thanks for that. Sounds encouraging.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

where are you? Lincolnshire Police (used to, at least) subsidise track-based road riding instruction. Spent a day at Cadwell Park, half day in classroom half day on track practising various exercises before finishing with half a dozen uninterrupted laps of the full circuit. It absolutely chucked it down (standing water in places) which from a learning perspective was ideal. At that point I’d been riding for ~20 years, year-round, but still had stuff to learn (past tense only because I’ve lost my moto mojo and don’t ride, not because I now know everything….). I heard about it through a mate and rode up from Oxford to do it and stayed in a B+B, well worth the effort.

It was with Hopp Rider Training.

MrSparkle

I’m in Lancs. That sounds good too. Not what I’ve envisaged but …

hopefiendboy

BikeSafe has been stopped in Scotland- presumably for budget reasons.

🙄

xcgb
    Free Member

You can do a hour or so with an IAM instructor i will do this if i ever actually push the button on a new bike as it was highly recommended to me

footflaps

Honda do (or did) their MAC courses (Motorcycle Appreciation Course) which are 1 on 1 or 1 on 2?

gonefishin
    Free Member

When I bought a new bike after many years lay off the shop actually paid for a few hours instruction as part of the deal. The blokes reasoning being that he didn’t want to sell me one bike, he wanted to sell me more over the years. Sadly the weather has been so crap this summer that I’ve not had the chance to ride it much!

Cougar

I’m in Lancs.

You can do a hour or so with an IAM instructor

I’m in Lancs too. I tried to enquire about advanced driving courses with the IAM once and they never replied to my emails. Would be interested to see how you get on with them / BikeSafe.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anybody done a motorcycle refresher course?’ is closed to new replies.