Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anybody care to help out with a survey of ‘pop-top’ dimensions? Not just VW…
  • PhilO
    Free Member

MrsO and I are currently pondering the possibility of a van conversion. We’ve more-or-less settled on the general layout, plus that it will be an elevating roof. One thing we want to do though, is maximise sleeping space upstairs.

I had a good look at a few different designs at the NEC last month, but like a complete numpty forgot to take a tape measure with me, and most manufacturers don’t seem to include bed-width in their online details.

So I would consider it a great personal favour if anybody reading this who owns a pop-top van would let me know i) What van, ii) what roof model and iii) the width of the roof bed.

We’re agnostic on the actual van type, so non-VW models are also of interest – particularly Trafic/Vivaro and/or Transit Custom for comparison.

Many thanks in advance! 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Since Im just about to “pop” out in the van….just for you:
    VW ’03 T4, Reimo pop roof (internal hinges) 1080mm wide bed.

https://www.reimo.com/en/G-camper_van_conversion_shop/GD-reimo_roof_pop_top_roof_pop_up_roof_high_top_roof/GDE-vw_t4_pop_top_roof_vw_t4_pop_up_roof/

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Can’t be arsed measuring it, but be aware that the reimo pop top bed is way too short for big people with big feet. So annoyed with those fools at Torbay Conversions for fitting such a stupidly short bed base in a LWB conversion.

Tools.

Anyway, my point is that the end of the Reimo roof is hinged much lower than alternatives so check the usable length not just the length.

PS. It too narrow for two adults. Get a decent bed fitted downstairs…

all IMHO

PhilO
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments so far…

Yeah, I’m aware that many are narrow, although Stoner’s 1080mm equals the bed we have downstairs in our current ‘van. No harm in trying to find the widest available. The kids might as well have as much room as possible! 🙂

We definitely want a LWB van, so hopefully the low-end will be less of a problem, but I take your point re. space for large feet.

Anybody else able to chip-in? I’m particularly interested in seeing if there are any advantages to getting a non-VW van in this context. The Trafic/Vivaro roof looks like it’s wider than the Transporter, and it would be good to know if the measurements bare that out. Anybody got one?

scotroutes

The Trafic/Vivaro roof looks like it’s wider than the Transporter, and it would be good to know if the measurements bare that out. Anybody got one?

We don’t have the bed platform in ours but it sits on a “shelf” that I’ve just measured at 1330mm

codybrennan
    Free Member

Whatever you get, make sure it has a scissor-lift at the hinge end.

alpin
    Free Member

Have had a hilo roof since 2015.
    No idea on exact size, but it’s one of the highest lifting yet lowest profile pop tops.

Scissor hinges at the back giving lots of head/foot room; twice that of a California.

Bed lifts up through the van so you needn’t crouch (quite so much…. you’re lays going to have to crouch a bit).

dropoff

As a mute point the DVLA will no longer re-classify a van to a motorhome if it has a pop top. Only if it is a high top. May not be important to you but does help with the speed limits.

trail_rat
    Free Member

As a mute point the DVLA will no longer re-classify a van to a motorhome if it has a pop top. Only if it is a high top. May not be important to you but does help with the speed limits.

Read the published rulebook. Not what some eejits interpreted it as for clickbait.

scotroutes

MOOT point!!!

db
    db

Better link…
    https://www.reimo.com/en/28071-sd_bett_easyfit_ren_trafic_kr_lr_2015_vorne_hoch/

The measurements are given per optional bed.

db

PhilO
    Free Member

Thanks db. Your Google-fu is clearly better than mine!

nwilko
    Free Member

Dvla will not register poptop’s as motorcaravan anymore.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/converting-a-vehicle-into-a-motor-caravan/converting-a-vehicle-into-a-motor-caravan
    Even vw CALIFORNIA are now registered as mpv’s.
    So if you want to drive at car speeds legally make sure you convert a shuttle or velle that has M1 type appoval on the v5, m1 being type approved as passenger carrying.

trail_rat
    Free Member

That’s not what your link says.

In particular read the checklist to be attached when you apply.

It appears to be somewhat of a points system with no clear scoring system.

But you do not need to have all of the list for exterior features.

ahsat

Having spent the last 5 years driving at van speeds, we’ve decided to just do the conversion we want. That extra 10 mph can be a bit annoying on a long dual carriageway way, but just enjoy looking at the world.

So back to pop tops.

We are likely to go for the Jerba. Which we also saw at the NEC with the plan for two adults to sleep in it. I believe it is 112 x 190 which is 13 cm narrower that our normal tent.

dropoff

FB “self build campervans” has a whole load of info and lots of knowledgeable members. You may already be looking there.

barney
    Free Member

If it helps any, I’ve got one of these in my SWB van https://www.hiloroofs.co.uk/vw-t5-pop-top-roof

I’m 6’3″, and my wife and I (she’s 5’10”) sleep up there no problems. Can’t remember how wide it is, apart from ‘enough’, but it’s plenty long. I can’t sleep in a Reimo – they’re too short.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anybody care to help out with a survey of ‘pop-top’ dimensions? Not just VW…’ is closed to new replies.