Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Anybody been to Wharnciffe since the weekend deluge?
  • alexpalacefan

Hi there, thinking of a blast ’round wharncliffe (singletrack not DH) this evening. Anybody been out since the weekend’s p*ssing weather?

cheers,

A

thepodge
    Free Member

nope, but i’ve never really found it that bad, maybe i just like the wet

steveh

Given the rain that just came down I reckon it’ll be pretty damp…

matthew_h
    Free Member

Gut feeling and what with it raining at the moment, I wouldn’t bother. The XC loop doesn’t cope anywhere near as well as the DH runs when it rains and will likely not be much fun.

thepodge
    Free Member

while were on the topic, how on earth do you ride the really rocky but (first third from the top)? not really sure how to describe it but there are two small red and while flags at the side of the trail, I guess if you know the track you know the spot. I’ve never managed it yet

cp

it’s **** lashing it down in sheff at the moment, so even it had started to dry, it’ll be super chuffin wet now!!

matthew_h
    Free Member

Podge, do you mean on the XC trail or one of the DH runs? Not quite sure which bit you are refering to.

finbar
    Free Member

it’s **** lashing it down in sheff at the moment, so even it had started to dry, it’ll be super chuffin wet now!!

No kidding! What is with all these bloody tropical downpours at the moment?

matthew_h
    Free Member

Just had a huge blast of lightening and big clap of thunder. Cool

thepodge
    Free Member

sorry, on the XC bit. i’m sure it has a name but I dunno what its called. it has massive rocks in the trail, I think its the bit at the top after you turn off the fire road and go over the ditch on a plank

just had major thunder and lightening right out my back window which looks over Wharncliffe so yeah, maybe not tonight.

antigee

2″ of water running down the width of the road – situation will be normal in the woods

matthew_h
    Free Member

Still not really sure which bit you mean as I can’t really remember too many big rocks on the XC trail but I haven’t ridden it for a while and it has been battered from when it was built. Sorry

thepodge
    Free Member

no problem, i always get the sections mixed up anyway, next time i’m up there i’ll try get some pics or something or try and go with some one who knows the way round as i’m always getting lost

ourkidsam
    Free Member

This bit Podge?

(‘scuse jey looking pose). Short answer is not very well

thepodge
    Free Member

ourkidsam – This bit Podge?

BINGO! that’s the bit. the rest of the woods flows so well but that bit just winds me up, I think i’m going to make it but never do

matthew_h
    Free Member

Aha, I was thinking you meant further up nearer the top car park and couldn’t think where you meant. That bit is further on and somewhere I’ve tended to avoid due it being like bag the last couple of times I’ve been on it. It is definitely tricky and I don’t think I’ve cleaned it. Speed is your friend though and trying to ride light. Not something I’m the best at all unfortunately

thepodge
    Free Member

I was discussing with another forum member the other day how that bit is prime for a bit of north shore to keep the flow or for those who don’t fancy the challenge, saves the track getting wider and wider.

pity all work is on stop until further notice.

alexpalacefan

So, as we’re not riding this evening, anybody fancy a pint? Devonshire Cat?

A

thepodge
    Free Member

you planning on swimming there?

finbar
    Free Member

My building is flooding. The roof is leaking and one of the labs is about 2″ deep in water because its coming in underneath the door.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Wouldn’t mind a local showing me around some of the new XC stuff at Wharncliffe maybe one evening or weekend when it dries out. Any volunteers?

thepodge
    Free Member

I second DaveyBoyWonder’s comments. I can make my way round but i’m fairly sure i’m missing some of it and I’ve no idea where the new stuff is.

I offered to re mark the whole trail while i’m off work but i’m not allowed. Forester says NO

Archaic
    Free Member

I’d be well up for a tour round there to or we could wing it 😉

thepodge
    Free Member

is that giving a tour or following a tour?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Winging it sounds ok to me too. I’ve only ever ridden the old DH trails about 4 years ago and I did do a lap of the old XC route once (I recognise that rocky section!) but I’m not sure I could find my way around it again since they’ve taken the markers down. Would also want to try and take in some of the DH trails whilst we were out – they look pretty nice!

alexpalacefan

I’d be up for a rendezvous. Not saying I can find my way around mind, but been up there a few times. We should deffo let it dry first though, can be a bit (very) boggy in this sort of weather.
    PS Podge YHM, A

thepodge
    Free Member

er, remember that there is…
    unmarked Black XC
    an unmarked Blue XC
    a marked / old Red XC
    some new Red XC
    a unmarked XC DH

plus all the down hill stuff

I assume we are all on about the Marked Red XC

Wharncliffe……

Awesome in the dry

Absolute bobbins in the wet

I consider my a cabable (not fantastic) technical rider and last time I hit those rocks it was wet and I was having a serious off day on a 35lb bike – my foot was down every 5 mtrs. I’m sure on another day I’d clean it, but it’s damned annoying when you’re being rubbish.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

I know the marked red – though I guess everyone does. Would be up for a stw Wharncliffe tour, provided we keep it mincecore-lite. I don’t do big stuff

thepodge
    Free Member

I’d also assume that they are using the marked red XC for the Wharncliffe weekender?

not long till then

jackthedog
    Free Member

Another local here that might be up for a pootle round Wharny with some fellow STWers if it happens.

BTW Podge – I think we might have a mutual aquaintance. Do you know a Damo, with a P7?

freeandsingle
    Free Member

I’d be up for a Wharnecliffe bimble!

thepodge
    Free Member

jackthedog – BTW Podge – I think we might have a mutual acquaintance. Do you know a Damo, with a P7?

YEAH, I’ve known Damo for years, he’s a good lad. I sold him that P7, ace bike but it gave me a sore arse, far to rigid at the back end for me.

When were people thinking for this, one evening after work or a Sat / Sun?

Seems like there are a good few of us now to make it a laugh.

skiprat
    Free Member

Another one here, been there a few times now but not sure on some bits so a ride out and a point in the right direction would be good!!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Someone care to get it organised? Sooner rather than later due to holidays etc looming.

BTW, you boys weren’t kidding when you said it was raining last night! Saw it on Look North as I was looking out the window at the sunshine in Halifax!

daveh
    Free Member

Did a guided tour of my favourite bits for a forum member last Thurs evening. I’m sure there’s plenty of stuff I don’t know about yet but it seemed to go down OK. A charge of £400 was levied for this service (though a SC Heckler frame was included as a gift).

skiprat
    Free Member

Right, i’m free this sunday morn or next sunday morn. Or any night if thats whats needed.

Mail me at chris.morton@virgin.net

matthew_h
    Free Member

I could probably be persuaded to meet up there. I’m not completely familiar with all of the XC stuff but do know most of the DH stuff. Also helped build chunks of the new XC stuff so know that. Not terribly fit though so will be beaten by any whippets.

Archaic
    Free Member

Having been made redundant I can go anytime 😉 Just recovering from 8 weeks off the bike due to knee injury so fitness is next to useless.

Pieface

I’d suggest leaving at least a week of dry weather. Last time I went it hadn’t rained for a week and there were loads of puddles everywhere, making some sections really bad.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Anybody been to Wharnciffe since the weekend deluge?’ is closed to new replies.